Print Page | Close Window

How stereotypes are born

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8514
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 8:10pm

Topic: How stereotypes are born
Posted By: JerkyFlea
Subject: How stereotypes are born
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:23pm
At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest, I wanted to make an observation. In the course of discussions here in the past, the statement has been made that these boards have a slant towards being very pro long hair and anti short hair. The rebuttal has been that people here support freedom of choice and everyone is entitled to wear whatever hairstyle they choose and shouldn't be pressured into doing something they don't want.Currently, on the Personals board, there is a discussion thread (which you can go to by clicking here) that began with a post by Brian on a makeover he did on Genni, a young woman with very long hair. The end result wasn't the most flattering style ever, but it wasn't bad and it appeared that she was happy with the style.Given that, I would fully expect and understand if all of the succeeding posts in the thread took Brian to task for selling a copy of the video he made of the makeover or that he could have chosen a more attractive style (even though it supposedly came from a picture chosen by Genni).That wasn't the case, however.Of the 11 posts (I'm discounting my own and Diane's response to it, Brian's own posts, and Mark/Jack's duplicate and the response it generated), 6 are direct attacks on Brian for cutting Genni's hair at all. If they could get their hands on him, I believe he would have been lynched. None of these posts say that it could have been cut into a better style, but that by simply doing the cut at all Brian is "pathetic", "a butcher", and has committed "horrendous act of personal vandalism" and that "(s)adly, such offenses aren't prosecutable".Again, I don't particularly like the style myself, but if she wanted it cut, he did it, and she liked it, then how is Brian at fault? That's the type of thing that breeds the "pro long hair, anti short hair" stereotype.Just an observation,JerkyFleaP.S. And Diane, I would guess he is selling the tape because there is a market for it. Pretty much that simple.Related Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray

-------------
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.

Replies: