Print Page | Close Window

Some of you AREN'T going to like this!

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8573
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 6:06am

Topic: Some of you AREN'T going to like this!
Posted By: Holly
Subject: Some of you AREN'T going to like this!
Date Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:51pm
Hi,Well, I thought now was an oppurtune time to write about a certain hairdresser in England who I think may be famous in America, since he styles the hair of many celebrities: Nicky Clark-a stylist from the U.K.I bought a book some months back called "Nicky Clark: Hair Power". It was your basic hair care/hairstyling book, based on the advice by Nicky Clark. In it, he states that (and this is not word for word as I no longer have the book)"Long hair should not be let to grow anywhere past the chest. Hair that is waist-length is freakish". (He definitely said the word "freakish" about waist length hair-I remembered being disgusted about that remark made for a length that I never heard of as referred to like that before).It may interest some of you to know that he's the stylist to Jerry Hall (and Brad Pitt, to name a couple of celebrities). A couple of months ago, there was the thread here on "Politics" (for those of you who are new or don't remember)about Jery hall cutting her hair-guess what? I just saw a picture of her and it's now to the top of her chest. When that thread first came out, I saw the picture and thought it wasn't too much to comment about-the length wasn't that much shorter (from what I saw in that picture-maybe it looked shorter in the actual magazine where the picture came from). So, from what I see now, he might have convinced Jerry that shorter is better. I do think I remember him being an advocate for shorter hair on women over 40-probably convinced Jerry of the same.Obviously, this is a hairstylist who wants people to keep coming back for haircuts-what better way to do that than to propogate ideas like his? It's smart business sense, but definitely (in my opinion)not in the clients best interests.(Please understand, I'm not knocking ALL hairstylists. There are many who respect a clients wish for long hair and like it themselves. I'm only referring to this particular hairstylist, but I'm sure there are others who think like him, at least in part).Here's some other thoughts from Nicky Clark:"Big hair is SO American" (this was in a negative tone)."If you like a hairstyle, don't be afraid to go up and ask that person where they got it styled (It's American, I know, but they get things done)".(Talking about the Oscars on a British morning show in March)"They all like wearing big styles; well, they're(America)a young country, they have to grow up yet".This guy obviously has a problem with America! Actually, from my experience, some British people DO have a problem with Americans, but that's a topic for another board, I guess! "Smile".Well, the man has mutiny aboard his ship, as I just read that one of his team of stylists have walked out on him. She is teaming up with a stylist from Vidal Sassoon, to create their own salon. I have yet to find out their views on hair length!Back to Jerry, though, if that's what she wants, fine, but it really is at an ordinary length. It's still nice hair, but why cut it to the collarbone when nothing seemed wrong with it (no damage or anything)? My opinion is, if your going to cut it, do something entirely different. With this style, it says to me " I'm 40 now so I better make it shorter or I'll look all wrong for my age". If that was the thought process behind the cut, I don't agree at all.(I really have no idea, but since Nicky is her hairdresser, that just might be the reasoning).Holly

Replies: