Print Page | Close Window

Gender vs Hair length

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8597
Printed Date: May 28 2024 at 11:51am

Topic: Gender vs Hair length
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Gender vs Hair length
Date Posted: February 09 2000 at 3:04pm
I am curious as to how hair length got to be an indicator of gender. If you look back in history, you see hair length on both sexes go up and down. As I look through these message boards, I notice that there is a lot of put downs being issued against those who want to explore or wear their hair in the length or style of the opposite sex. My question is, how did we arrive at the status quo? Our hair length and styles weren't always at what many perceive as "normal".
Who says that if you have long hair, you are a woman or if you have short hair, you are a man? Does hair make you either man or woman? I think the trends we see today is a part of the normal evolution of fashion. It is an indicator that we as a society, are desiring change just like the changes that occurred to get us where we are today. I think that The Wahl Clipper Manufacturer and other companies like them, make to convenient for people to tell a man to "Get a Haircut". Why don't we all relax and enjoy a natural part of our bodies and quit imposing our restrictive standards on others, which by the way was established by the military.

Replies: