Print Page | Close Window

Reaction to wearing hair up

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8699
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 7:39pm

Topic: Reaction to wearing hair up
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Reaction to wearing hair up
Date Posted: September 13 2001 at 4:25am
I have had a chin length bob for a while and its smart but doesnt get comments or anything. I have been growing out and its long enough now to have up or pulled back if I want but I had not really bothered. Well last week I was in a hurry to get out so stopped at the drugstore and got a plain straight tortoiseshell barrette (my first accessory!) which I used to wear my hair in a low ponytail. I turned up at the bar to meet my friends and it was like I`d chopped it off or gone purple "Sandys wearing her hair up, you look great, etc etc" I was real surprised at how much people noticed I thought it would be no big deal. Anyway I tried the same style for work next day and same reaction - amazing - and then Friday I wore it full up twisting the ponytail and holding with the barrette, using a couple of pins to keep it neat - this again got lots of positive and interested reaction from both sexes but the ladies mainly. Wore it loose Monday and people were asking when was it going up again? Just real surprised that people notice and are that interested. Any views or experiences of similar things?

Replies:
Posted By: loveshorthair
Date Posted: September 13 2001 at 10:28am
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP121551672&id=3461&page=1#10.3461.1 - 10.3461.1
Some people really like hair up (personally, it doesn`t do much for me) - it could be just the change ( you might of gotten the same reaction if you wore your hair up all the time then taken it down) - or it could be that you look better with your hair pulled away from you face. I have noticed that women tend to make more comments about the hair being up than men, but it could be that men are more "cautious" about making remarks....Interesting scenario that you had.

-------------

Posted By: ponytailhead
Date Posted: September 16 2001 at 5:46pm
thats great that people are reacting positive to you wearing your hair up sandra :) what other styles are you going to try? another good style is to wear it in a half ponytail with the scalp visible and forming a line across the back of your head going from like one ear to the other,i do this style sometimes and it looks good:)

-------------
"i can feel it in my bones"

Posted By: dianefromcanada
Date Posted: September 16 2001 at 7:23pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP121551672&id=3461&page=1#10.3461.1 - 10.3461.1
I had a similar experience once. I rarely wear my hair in a bun at work and one day I showed up wearing it in a bun and the manager said that I should wear it up more often and that I looked like a ballerina when I do. I thought it was funny.

-------------
dianefromcanada

Posted By: glitterjess
Date Posted: September 25 2001 at 3:11pm
Well whenever I used to wear my hair up my mom liked it. But I mostly just let it down or put the front back with clips or a headband and since now my hair is short I can`t put it up. Doesn`t bug me much...

-------------

Posted By: Allyson
Date Posted: September 29 2001 at 6:43am
I saw this post last week and thought I`d try the same thing, my hair is shoulder length with a center part no bangs but I never wear it up, just never been my thing. So I got a barrette and pulled it back into a low pony with no parting and went to the office like that - WOW! Will go looking for more accessories etc this weekend to try other styles - any good ideas out there for work dos for an `updo learner?!`

Thanx Sandy!

-------------
Ally

Posted By: Jennifer
Date Posted: September 30 2001 at 9:14pm
Hi Sandra,

I`ll bet that you have beautiful facial features! Although I very much love long hair, I have to admit that sometimes it may overwhelm facial features, if it`s worn too much on the face. By putting your hair back, people were able to see your lovely face! That doesn`t mean you always have to wear your hair up, but when you do, you face will always come into focus first.

Consider that a supereme compliment!

Regards,

Jennifer

-------------