Print Page | Close Window

I have a question.

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Hair Talk
Forum Name: Hair Politics
Forum Description: The politics of Hair is a slippery slope...
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8722
Printed Date: September 27 2024 at 3:20pm

Topic: I have a question.
Posted By: Hair Dresser Wanna Be
Subject: I have a question.
Date Posted: March 07 2002 at 5:25pm
I was going to post this on the general discussion board, but I think it is more apporiate being here on the Hair Politics board.

In approxamately 9 months and 3 days (yes I`m counting the days I`m that excited) I`m going to be starting beauty school. Now as a forum that has both male and female members I`m hoping to get a good cross section of replies to this question.

What do you all think of men becoming hairdressers?

I`ve asked co-workers and family members about this and they have been supportive of it and I have two other family members, a aunt and a female cousin, that are in the business. Hairdressing is something that I`ve been intrested in since I was little so I figured I should go for it.

Thanks for your time.
HDWB

Not a wanna be for much longer. 9 months 3 days.

Replies:
Posted By: dianefromcanada
Date Posted: March 07 2002 at 6:23pm
What I have noticed from trends going on in the city where I live is that if someone going to win a competition in hairstyling it will be a man. It is probably not fair to say so and I am only basing my opinion on what I have seen but you won`t see a man work a cheap styling salon over here and they seem to really care about making more money which is not necessary bad. I mean they reallly push to have their name out there and by doing so they come across as being the best. I find that you will easily find them in expensive salons.

-------------
dianefromcanada

Posted By: phil
Date Posted: March 13 2002 at 6:33pm
Just before I left my all-boys school in 1972, the so-called "careers advisor" gave us all a talk. After some general chit-chat which went in one ear and out the other, I`ll never forget his last words: "If there`s anyone here wants to be a hairdresser but doesn`t want to say so, can they please stay behind and see me afterwards." How stupid was that? The implication, I suppose, was that it was considered less-than-manly, so why not bring the volunteers to everyone`s attention by having them stay behind? Doh!
The sad thing was I would have loved to have been one but chickened out due to the ham-fisted way the "advisor" handled it, so I see no reason at all why men should not be hairdressers.

-------------
phil

Print Page | Close Window