Print Page | Close Window

Perm Or Not?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Men's Hair & Fashion
Forum Name: Men's Hair
Forum Description: Devoted to the special needs of the male species.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=8895
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 11:52am

Topic: Perm Or Not?
Posted By: Unregistered Guest
Subject: Perm Or Not?
Date Posted: December 23 2000 at 12:40am
My girlfriend wants me to get a perm. I am really unsure of what to expect and quite frankly am a little embarrassed. Have any of you guys been through this? Is it worth it and should I really do this?

Replies:
Posted By: Karen Shelton
Date Posted: December 23 2000 at 6:35pm
Reply to message: viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP758148352&id=142&page=1#14.142.1 - 14.142.1
Hi Tommy,

Thank you for your post.

I have been receiving lots of private emails from men about perms lately. Perms seem to have picked up in popularity over time. The key to the perm is getting a good consultation first. Why? Perms are chemicals and they will react differently depending on the type of hair that you have. I know some guys that have gotten perms and really enjoyed them and others who hated them.

I think for men, in my opinion, the key is to try and get a perm that will be similar to your current hair style. If you go from super straight to super curly in an instant, it may be too much of a sudden change and you might find it unnerving or difficult to adjust to.

If you like the results of a perm that are more subtle you can work towards a more dramatic look over time. So you might go with a light body wave initially to give your hair shape and movement and then advance to a more intense style with curls or waves. The results of the perm are dependent on how long you keep the perm product in your hair and the size of the rods that are used.

Certainly it is not a great idea to get a drastic change via a perm right before a major event like a wedding or Prom or big interview.

If you get a consultation first you can ask just how curly the perm is going to be and how it will impact your current hairstyle for better or worse.

If you generally wear your hair short you have the advantage of being able to get any permed hair cut off. If you prefer to wear your hair longer, think a perm through very carefully because if you growing your hair longer or prefer to wear it long, you will be stuck with the perm for a long time.

Just some general thoughts.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes & Happy Holidays,
Karen

-------------
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)