Print Page | Close Window

razor cut?

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=918
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 6:32am

Topic: razor cut?
Posted By: gorth97
Subject: razor cut?
Date Posted: March 15 2004 at 4:58pm
I just saw the episode of queer eye for the straight guy where they get the straight d00d a razor cut... Here is the image of the guy:

Exactly how long does my hair have to be to get this cut and what do I tell the hair stylist? Currently my bangs run to bottom of nose, and my back hair runs to bottom of my neck. All they said on the show was that its a razor cut and it adds lots of texture.

Replies:
Posted By: PurpleBubba
Date Posted: March 15 2004 at 7:36pm
Well from what I can see it looks like the hair in back is at least long enough that it would touch the top of a shirt collar. Or you could say its reaching the top of the shoulders.

From what you say it sounds like the hair in back is long enough. Not sure about the front but maybe you could get a shorter version and then as it grows out get that one. Just make sure you find someone that knows how to use a razor.

If you take that picture with you to a stylist that knows what they are doing it shouldn't take a lot of explaining.

My advice to you would be to look for pictures of what you don't want as well as what you do want that might be similar to that.
If you have to look at female hairstyles to find it then go ahead and look. You might come across a similar razor cut on a woman that maybe has the layers out of place or something.

Go to the local grocery or Mart discount store and look through the actual hairstyle magazines. You will usually find them in the books and magazines area, not by the checkout. Some will have black & white pictures but thats ok if they are clear enough to describe what you see. Usually these magazines will have the word hair, hairdo, or hairstyles in the title somewhere.

Again, I understand you don't want a woman's cut. I'm just suggesting you look through the pictures to find the layers and such.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Posted By: hairalways
Date Posted: March 16 2004 at 5:34pm
Gorth - Def take the picture to a PRO. I mean, expensive and good reputation kind of salon...Even if it isn't what you typically can afford - go in for the first cut and then maybe you can get touch up trims at a less expensive place. It is amazing the difference in skill....Also, when you call the salon, ask to have a consult with someone who specializes in men's razor cuts...for longer hair.

Good luck

Jacqui

-------------

Posted By: gorth97
Date Posted: March 17 2004 at 1:15am
Thanks for the advise guys.. I'm going to print out the pic and give it to the pro..

One question though.. I found a high class hair salon where I live.. It costs $45 to $60 depending on the title of the stylist.. My question is: What is a normal tip that goes along with this type of salon?

Thanks in advance.

Posted By: hairalways
Date Posted: March 17 2004 at 12:59pm
I can't remember where I read this, but I have read that 20% is the going rate......This is in America, not sure about the UK,Eur, Au or etc...It also depends a lot on the service.

Any pros out there that can confirm?

jacqui

Date Posted: March 17 2004 at 1:09pm
I'm not completely sure at the moment but from what I recall from the articles I have read, 10-20% is the norm and sometimes people will tip everyone who worked on them.

So if you have a seperate person shampoo your hair then you should give them a tip of some sort.

I don't know how much a shampoo will cost in that salon so you'll have to figure that out.

Some salons will let you leave your total tip at the receptionist desk and they will divide it up amongst those who deserve whatever amount.

My advise would be, if you liked the service you got, tell the people who did it and explain to them that you aren't sure what to tip them and if what you are giving them seems low to them, that you aren't intending it to be.

If they are as professional as the salon seems then they should not treat you in any snobby manner.

Remember, if you are not happy with something tell them you aren't happy. Don't leave a tip if they don't earn or deserve it.

Hope this helps.

-------------

http://s7.invisionfree.com/The_Hair_Care_Family/index.php?showtopic=12 - My Journal

Date Posted: March 17 2004 at 2:00pm
I found this from an Ask Karen article on HB

Ask Karen - January 12, 2000
Building A Great Relationship With Your Stylist.
http://www.hairboutique.com/askkaren/askkaren-01-2000.htm - http://www.hairboutique.com/askkaren/askkaren-01-2000.htm

"9. Always say thank you and tip appropriately. For a good job, a good tip would equal 15-20% of the bill. If the stylist did something special, you may want to tip a little more. Be sure and leave a dollar or two for the shampoo person."

-------------

Posted By: Birk
Date Posted: March 18 2004 at 8:01pm
Americas a strange country, you don't tip hairdressers (or should i say stylist) over here in the UK. That's just odd to say the least..

They get paid already, they don't need more money.

-------------

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: May 02 2005 at 11:21am
yeah. i'm in the uk too and tipping hairdressers just seems weird! We tip waiters though. 

Posted By: shiverpale
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:11pm

tipping hair dresser's?

ive never heard of that before...but yes, yep...we tip waiters and people that sell big issues .......oh...mens salons as in the old style barber shops with that twirly red and white spinning thing outside - men are known to tip them, espec after having been shaved the old fashioned way with a cut throat razor (i guess they have to keep them sweet huh!)

every time ive entered a salon over here in the uk,(which is only about 4 times in my life so far!)  ive always returned home in tears and gone back the next day asking for my money back where theyve ruined my hair (hence the reason to why ive only ever entered them 4 times!)

Asmara

-------------
"The hair is the richest ornament of women."

Posted By: shiverpale
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 1:14pm

oh and yeah...ladyfrog....stop following me...lol...

seriously now, im not stalking youuu!...its just every topic im intrigued by, you seem to be there!

Asmara

-------------
"The hair is the richest ornament of women."

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: May 03 2005 at 2:09pm
I was beginning to wonder...lol. 

Print Page | Close Window