Print Page | Close Window

What actually is predetermened..

Printed From: HairBoutique.com
Category: Long Hair Happenings
Forum Name: Long Hair Support
Forum Description: Growing it long takes commitment and support.
URL: https://talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=958
Printed Date: September 30 2024 at 6:37am

Topic: What actually is predetermened..
Posted By: helen
Subject: What actually is predetermened..
Date Posted: April 24 2004 at 5:15am
..the length one´s hair can reach or the time one´s hair grows before it falls away? Or something else? The growth rate?..

Replies:
Posted By: Nicole Z
Date Posted: April 24 2004 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Helen Helen wrote:

..the length one´s hair can reach or the time one´s hair grows before it falls away? Or something else? The growth rate?..

Growth rate.

Also, the max length (also your growth cycle) is predetermined, but in this day and age with so few people who actually allow their hair to grow fully, you'd have to do some serious geneology & family history to find out who had the longest hair. Once you figure that out, your chances of being able to match that length are reasonable.

-------------
My hair is almost to my knees (~50") and continues to grow longer. Rather slowly these days, but that's ok - it's still *growing*.

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: April 25 2004 at 3:44pm
Hi Helen,

Nicole has a good point. Most people have no idea since they don't ever allow their hair to grow to its maximum length. I'm probably reaching my own personal max... some strands are approaching 60 inches. Since my hair grows at the oft-stated average rate of 6 inches per year, that means that the longest strands are approaching 10 years. I might be atypical in this regard (if not other hair-related aspects).

-------------

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:21am
Ask your nana's and your mum and your Nana's mum's and ask them what their mum's, nana's hair was like. If you have a dad who grew his hair, ask him as well. My mum's hair reached nearly to her waist but on my dad's side of the family, I believe the hair was quite short. My hair is somewhere between, not quite as long as my mum's but longer then my Nana's.

If your ancestors had long hair, chances are your mjax length will be similar to theirs. Hope that helps!

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 11:33am
But if your ancestors have kept their hair short and fried for generations, you will not get useful information. Nowadays, that's mostly the case.

My own mother never grew her hair longer than shoulder-length.

I would think that in very few families can anyone remember a member trying to grow their hair to maximum length, and then believing they had achieved it, although in the 19th century this was not uncommon.

A century ago we "knew" women who tried and cared for their hair properly could grow it knee-length or longer. Now we "know" it is not possible.

So which is it?

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: LadyFrog
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 2:40pm
That's true. Most people don't go much beyond shoulder length. My nana never had her hair long in her life so it's impossible to tell what her hair would have been like. It's funny, if you read books set in very early japan, Murasaki times, all the women have their hair at least floor length and there are all these descriptions of women whos hair is only a few inches on the floor!!!! When I first read those descriptions, I thought they coulsn't be true but since coming on here and seeing some of the long hair, I now know it IS possible, just people don't usually want to try and grow their hair to that kind of length anymore. 

Posted By: eKatherine
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 3:34pm
I'm sure it was useful having a coterie of servants, too.

-------------

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Posted By: DaveDecker
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 3:53pm
Once again (or rather, as always), eKatherine speaks with wisdom.

Attempting to assess one's hair growth potential by determining the longest hair grown by one's predecessors is foolhardy... unless any of your predecessors allowed their hair to grow to its maximum length and took very good care of it.

Supposed experts state (as if it were a fact) that a given strand of hair cannot grow for more than 6 years.  I know from my own experience that that assumption is false.  Since I began growing my hair it has grown at the average rate of 6 inches per year, and there is at least one strand on my head that is 64 inches long - therefore the strand has been growing for approximately 10 years and 8 months.

Most people have no idea how long their hair could grow if they allowed it to grow and cared for it carefully.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window