Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leave in conditioner... scalp stimulant?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kmartshopper314 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmartshopper314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leave in conditioner... scalp stimulant?
    Posted: March 01 2003 at 10:50am
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any recipes for leave in conditioners, or a scalp stimulant to make hair grow faster.
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 2:28pm
Hello

I found one leave-in conditioner recipe that seems easy to make and economical too:

3 ½ ounces distilled water

½ tsp avocado oil

½ tsp aloe vera oil

4 drops jojoba oil

1 drop balsam (for fragrance—optional)

½ tsp potassium sorbate (preservative - not needed if you use it in a few days)

½ tsp polysorbate 20 (oil/water dispersant)

Makes 4 oz.

And one scalp stimulant recipe:

This recipe is good for all hair types and can be used daily. It takes 5-10 minutes to make. It should be stored in a dark glass bottle and shaken before use. Recipe yeilds approx. 14 trearments. This Conditioner helps stimulate circulation.

1 tsp lemongrass oil
5 tsp rosemary oil
3 tsp lavendar oil
4 tsp basil oil
2 tsp lemon oil
2 tsp sandalwood oil
10 tsp jojoba oil

Combine oils and keep in a cool dark place. Massage 2 tsp onto dry scalp and a little onto the ends of your hair. Apply only to the scalp and ends. Wrap your head in plastic or use a shower cap and wrap again with a warm damp towel. Leave on 30 to 45 minutes. Rinse and shampoo. It can also be applied in the shower to wet hair. Massage, leave on hair at least 3 minutes, rinse. Note: This conditioner has a strong fragrance and tingles.

I haven't used the scalp stimulant but have used the leave-in conditioner and like it. I have used different oils for fragrance and it still works well.

Good luck and have fun with it!! {grin}

Merlin
Palonia View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 2:39am
Just wanted to warn you: That scalp stimulant recipe has FAR too high a quantity of essential oils in it. At that amount it would be both ridiculously expensive and very dangerous. I have suffered a chemical burn from not diluting lemongrass adequately in a homemade mask I made. It can be a very irritating EO. Also, this mixture should not be applied before sun exposure, as citrus oils like lemon can cause photo toxic effects (burns). Please use caution with essential oils. Lessen the 'tsp' quantities to drops, while keeping the jojoba at 10 tsp.

Something like the following would also be appropriate:

2 drops lemongrass
6 drops rosemary
6 drops lavender
3 drops lemon
3 drops sandalwood
10 tsp (50 ml or approx. 1 2/3 oz) jojoba

Another one that has been in the news of late, refers to a study on men with alopecia areata. You can read about that study here: www.newhope.com/nutritionsciencenews/NSN_backs/Sep_00/hair.cfm

They used:
2 drops cedarwood
3 drops lavender
3 drops rosemary
2 drops thyme

in:
3 ml jojoba
20 ml grapeseed
(The total carrier oils would be just under an ounce here)

Lastly, I would test either of these mixtures on a small spot of skin prior to using them on your scalp. It is possible that one or more essential oils will be especially irritating to you, or that you might suffer an allergic reaction. Better to discover that on a small spot, than your entire scalp.

HTH

Palonia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic