Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - I know this question has been asked before but I murdered my beautiful hair with black dye!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I know this question has been asked before but I murdered my beautiful hair with black dye!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I know this question has been asked before but I murdered my beautiful hair with black dye!
    Posted: February 18 2001 at 2:13pm
Ok here goes... I have well "had" beautiful hair (www.geocities.com/rose_thornz/pics.html) go there to see the old color. Pretty huh! Normally a nice light-medium brown with golden/copper highlights. It`s black now, and short. My roots are inching downward, and I feel like an ugly dope for dying. My hair has always been high quality and still is, the dying hasn`t hurt it in the least I just hate the way I look and want this black gone. If I can do it myself I will, I`d like to try a color remover, but I don`t know how well that will work. Will it remove all the black or just a shade or two, and will a remover lighten my roots? If it does lighten my roots that`s ok as long as it lightens the rest of my hair to at least a medium brown (i can always redye to even the whole process if that happens) I don`t want to go to a salon just yet, I understand the way hair and dyes work just not the remover... I know about color cancelation and all that should anything happen. Will a "remover" make me orange? I have reddish highlights now because of my natural color so I doubt i`ll go green. I have an olive complection so the golden stuff doesn`t look bad. Basically just tell me about removers and any other possible options (except plain bleaching - then I really will be orange and have no hair...) Thanks guys

Jessica
Shay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2001 at 5:11pm
I am no where near being a professional, but I think you should go to a professional hairdresser to get the color you want or just wait it out. I would`nt play around with color removers, I learned this trick thought to get your hair lighter:

Use dishwahing liquid and just keep shampooing your hair, the dye should fade.

I am not for sure if this will work, but it`s worth a try!

Good Luck
Blonde rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
allism View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2001 at 9:43pm
Reply to message: 7.865.1
I dye my hair black every 6 months or so and then I regret it...to get my hair back to my natural color, I mix a small bottle of 40-volume peroxide with a bottle of shampoo. When I wash my hair, I leave the shampoo on for 5 minutes or so. When your ends match your roots, switch back to normal shampoo. This usually takes a week or two to get my hair back to its normal color, but it`s proven so reliable that I use it even when I`ve dyed my hair lighter (dye it darker than my natural color, then use the peroxide/shampoo mixture to bring it back to my natural color).

This doesn`t seem to lighten my roots much but it is a little damaging to the hair; be sure to condition frequently.
shorthair75_2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthair75_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2001 at 12:17am
Jessica, Black is a nice color and you must have been bored with your old color so why don`t you just keep it black for awhile. Keep the roots touched up and just come summer let the sun and the colorine from pools lighten your hair. Good luck, Scott.
aeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2001 at 6:31pm
Reply to message: 7.919.1
allism: can I do this on my dyed medium brown hair to get back to my natural dark blonde?
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2001 at 4:55pm
Hi Jessica,

I just read about your hair challenge. I am a professional colorist. It is what I do for a living. I was being nosy checking out this site to see what it was about. You forgot to explain how you achieved your "black" hair. Did you attempt to color it black or did it turn black from several colorings and you over lapped it? Even if your intentions were to have a beautiful choclate brown, but you kept pulling thru color to the ends to refresh it, it can back fire and turn black due to the porsity of your hair. If you are not careful, yes your hair will snap off. One of my clients just did it. She is bald on top of her head. She fried her hair so bad that when she slept at night the rubbing on the pillow gave her a bowling ball glow right on top of her head! It is not attractive to say the least. Anyhow, I would for sure see a professional. If your funds are tight, call the best salon possible in your area and find out if they have model night. Most of your upper scale salons will have model nights. Basically what this means is that the newer hairdressers work on live models as part of their training. Don`t worry because these hairdressers will have close eyes on them and have already gone to cosmetology school. Good luck.

:)
Claire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2001 at 3:59am
Please, please, please go to a salon! I`ve been where you are and I tried a home colour remover, and it was a disaster. Because the hair at the roots is healthier than the hair at the ends, you will get at best a stripey effect. Probably you`ll end up with great patches of orange, a very sore scalp and a great deal of you once-beautiful tresses on the bathroom floor. I spent all day in a salon being bleached and re-bleached to remove the black dye. You will lose hair, but a professional can minimise the damage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic