Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very Mixed Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Mixed Reviews
    Posted: September 04 2003 at 4:49am
I've been wanting to try new shampoos lately, in hopes of finding the best one for my very fine hair. I saw commercials for Fructis that implied it would keep your hair from breaking or falling out so much, but I know I'd heard it could be really drying to hair, so I wasn't sure if I should try it. But I've been looking at online reviews for that and the other supposedly strengthening stuff in a green bottle (Renewal 5x) and it seems like every review I've read, the people either said they loved it (often claiming it did help their hair not to break or fall out) or they hated it (sometimes claiming hair falling out or even scalp scarring O_o), so I just thought I'd ask help and opinions here before trying either brand. I'd really much rather end up on the happy, non-breaking, non-falling side than the scarring and falling out in clumps side. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 10:57am
Is Fructis the brand name? I am not sure which one that is. I would certainly try it if I could find it. Do they have one for fine hair? I have about five shampoos in my shower right now and I am always on the lookout for another. My current favorite is Dove for fine, color treated hair.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 11:23am
It's by Garnier...(the home coloring people). I tried it back when it first hit the market...it was very drying to my hair. Tho you might like it...not all things work for all people. You can find it at Wal.Mart, most drug stores, etc.

I love Redken All Soft..also sometimes Redken Extreme...Joico Kpak...Kenra Moisturizing.
Mylissa
Twanda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 1:36pm
Dont' know about the shampoos you mentioned, but if you're just wanting to try a different shampoo, I have a few that I like to use on a rotating basis. My hair is fine too and I like to alternate shampoos that add volume with shampoos that don't build up on my hair.

The ones I like for volume are:
Nexxus Diamatress
Paul Mitchell Awapuhi

The ones that clean without build up are:
Lamaur Apple Pectin Shampoo Concentrate - can buy at Sally's
Back to Basics Wild Berry Volumizing Shampoo

Twanda
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2003 at 2:56am
I'm ridiculously poor, so I don't think salon products would be an option for me right now :-( . My idea of "expensive" shampoo is the Te Tao Thickening Formula I bought a few months ago and use sometimes. It's actually not bad for making my hair look fluffier, but it hasn't decreased breaking or falling out, so I was hoping one of those strengthening shampoos might help with that.
Fructis must be really popular stuff right now, because I'm having a hard time finding any shampoos of theirs now but the anti-dandruff :-P . I guess I'll test the Renewal 5x first and maybe find the Fructis for fine hair later. Hopefully something will help make my hair stronger, because it's pretty sad and wimpy as it is :-P .
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2003 at 7:38am
Hi Kuroneko,

Take a look at this thread on Fructis if you haven't already seen it. As you said, mixed opinions abound!

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB%5FAP337399111&id=762&sr1=fructis&sr2=&ExMth=no#post1052
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2003 at 3:55pm
Well, I was in WalMart last night and bought a bottle of it. Can't beat the price. Anyway, I used it this morning and it was OK but not spectacular. I like things that are drying as my hair is oily so that wasn't a problem for me but I think several people have mentioned that it was for them. If you are looking for something that will bulk up find hair this one isn't it though. It did clean pretty well but I don't feel any fuller or thicker.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2003 at 3:37am
If it doesn't make my hair fluffy, that's not too big a problem, as most shampoos I've tried really don't do that. *shrugs* I'm used to that prob by now. What I'd really like to hear is whether it really does make hair stronger. Or if the shampoos mentioned don't make it stronger, what will?

Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

Well, I was in WalMart last night and bought a bottle of it. Can't beat the price. Anyway, I used it this morning and it was OK but not spectacular. I like things that are drying as my hair is oily so that wasn't a problem for me but I think several people have mentioned that it was for them. If you are looking for something that will bulk up find hair this one isn't it though. It did clean pretty well but I don't feel any fuller or thicker.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2003 at 4:57pm
Hi K, my fellow ubergeek . As far as strengthening your hair goes, it's not really possible, at least not in the way hair product manufacturers would have you believe. No topically applied product can make your hair stronger or repair existing damage. Hair is dead from the moment it emerges from your scalp, so without cellular regeneration it cannot be repaired. However, a good protein-based treatment can imitate the look and feel of healthy hair by coating the hair shaft, thus imparting a silky feel and protecting it somewhat from the elements. The effect only lasts until you shampoo, so any claims of "healing for six weeks!" are pure BS, unless you go that long without washing your hair. And I kinda doubt that!

One of the best protein treatments on the free market today is Aphogee Damaged Hair Treatment from Sally Beauty. It is cheap and lists protein second in its ingredient list. Unfortunately it smells like rotting egg. So if you're not keen on reeking for several days, I would suggest looking for a shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner/styling product that contains protein, keratin, amino acids, collagen or panthenol high up in its ingredient list. I know you're looking for a shampoo specifically, but the problem is, shampoos are designed to clean hair, not leave stuff (like the aforementioned conditioning agents) behind. It is really best to use a leave-in/rinse-off conditioner for the best possible protection. If you need recommendations...I'll be happy to help.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2003 at 2:16pm
I'm not really sure that a shampoo willl do what you want anyway. I have the best luck with shampoos that get my hair really clean such as clarifying shampoos. I guess the best thing is to get a haircut that makes the most of the texture of our hair. Not an easy thing to do. I am still looking for that perfect cut (besides the bob).
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2003 at 10:16pm
You've gotten great advice here, I just wanted to add that I also have fine hair and have found a couple of things helpful...

Adding protein to my diet, such as egg whites, protein shakes (usually whey), tuna fish, lean meats, etc. Certain hair vitamins have really helped me as well (I'm taking Hairtopia at the moment, and have noticed a huge difference), but there are other formulas out there you can purchase at WalMart for comparable results, I'm sure. Amino acids are the building blocks to protein, so if you can increase your amino acid intake, you may be strengthening you hair in the process.

I've found a couple of shampoos and conditioners that I really like, that seemingly fluff up my hair and make it fuller. One is C-Fuller Hair Shampoohttp://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?pfid=725440&club_id=725440&sz=&sf= (I can do without the conditioner, I actually use the Garnier Fructis Conditioner and love it -- and the Fructis Hair Masque in the green jar works great on my hair a couple of times a week) and the other is Hinoki System Shampoo and Conditioner for fine hair. http://www.jtspeaks.com/hinoki.html

I will say that I haven't found too many over the counter shampoos that I like that much, but conditioners are another story. I find that Loreal Vive for Fine Hair works well, as does their conditioner for color treated hair. Anyway, that's my experience. :)

Kris
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 2:07am
Ah, that might be part of the problem. . . I don't get that much meat or eggs or anything most of the time. I have been taking amino acids a little, but I cut back on the dosage recently because I'd heard they can make you put on weight :-P . Maybe I'd better get back on the dose I was, and work on adding more meat or at least nuts (not that fond of eggs), in hopes that'll help.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 7:16pm
I am hooked on Redken Anti-Snap--I swear it it reduces breakage dramatically. My fine-haired co-worker uses it too. We talk about it like it's a major beauty secret.

I had good results from Fructis Garnier. (I had seen ads for it for years in European magazines and was excited when it came here.)

Tres Semme also has soy protein in several of the shampoos in their new line (like for highlighted hair), and this has a serious thickening effect. It's also cheap!
Ronda22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2003 at 5:30am
Matrix Amplify system is absolutely the BEST system for my fine hair that I've ever used!!
MSBASCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MSBASCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 2:41am
Ok, my hairsylist would kill me for saying this but I really like the Pantene volumizing shampoo and conditioner. I have heard from hair stylists that Pantene products are HORRIBLE and that the conditioner sort of gums up the hair because it coats it and builds up. But, honestly, so far this has been the best product I've ever used. I've tried Amplify and wasn't impressed, Nioxin products which do make my hair feel thicker but I swear only by drying it out!
The Pantene is pretty cheap and makes my hair look so shiney and honest to God doesn't weigh my hair down at all. It smells great too!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 3:16am
Blee, forgot about this topic.
I eventually tried Fructis a little, but didn't care for it. It smells nice, but it didn't do much but make my hair seem harder and flatter :-P . Definitely it didn't improve the condition in any way, but I should've guessed that. *pokes the advertising people for always claiming far more than their products can really deliver*
agatha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2004 at 5:39am
I just wanted to thank you for this thread.. I have fine hair and I got so sick of dealing with the 'fly away' issue that I literally, shaved it.

I have had hair more than 2" long in over a year. Thankfully my head shape supports it, but it is nice to hear of people who have found things that work.

I am interested in this Anti-Snap stuff..
agatha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agatha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2004 at 5:40am
Sorry, that should have read "haven't" had hair more than 2" long..
Khayeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Khayeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2004 at 10:14pm
Hi All-

So i see a lot of you seem to depend on shampoo for all your thickening needs. Is the lack of mention of conditioner because its use is implied? Or because none of you use it?

My hair is among the finest ever evolved (or devolved. Its not very useful) but its also about an inch shy of my waist and i would say about 90 % as healthy as you would hope for, given that i am blonde, live in a city with pollution and do sports that are hard on my hair and have a job that is also harsh for hair and skin. Most of the breakage i have is due to it getting caught in all the things it gets caught in, like bike helmet strap or necklace.

I use the cheapest shampoo i can find, whose scent i like. I really buy it based on smell and low price only. Suave and VO5 and White Rain and all the really cheap brands. I only apply it to the hair that gets dirty, which is the 1.5 to 2 inches closest to my scalp that get greasy. I wash it every day because my scalp produces so much grease, with only about a pea sized amount of shampoo. It takes me several months to go through a bottle.

So even if you have shorter hair, maybe you could try shampooing only the dirty parts? Not rubbing it into the entire scalp like we were taught as kids? About 4 years ago i made the switch and that is exactly when i went from horrible dry nasty staticy hair that i had to oil at least twice a week, to decent, flowy, well behaved hair that i have actually gotten compliments on from strangers, albeit only 4 times so far.

If you care about the rest of the routine: i do every day slather on the most moistening conditioner i can buy. My current two (i rotate every day) are Aussie Moist and St Ives something something. Other major favourites of mine are the 5X brand and Fructis. A few of the L'oreals are very good, except for the extra moisturising in the orange bottle! I used to buy salon brands but i get better results from a combination of wet conditioner, leavein conditioner, and oil.

I leavein condition every day, with whatever i buy for the shower that isn't conditioning enough to pass rinse out muster. They all get moved out of the shower and work great as leaveins. I also oil as much as once a week (overnight, apply, heat gently with hairdryer, bun it up and change the pillowcase in the morning) in the winter and maybe once a month in the summer. If i think my conditioner didn't do a good job, or i get stuck borrowing one, i oil very very lightly in the morning.

I don't blow dry or use gel or mousse except near the scalp to prevent static.

Good luck finding your combination!
Sher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 7:45am
Hi .

I HAIR HORRIBLE THIN BREAKING FALLING OUT THIN HAIR AND FINALLY FOUND THIS COMBINATION THAT MADE MY HAIR NOT FALL OUT SO MUCH ANS ALSO MADE THE BREAKAGE GET LOTS BETTER.

I use a shampoo called Nioxin 1%. It was made for people with Dandruff, but they found out it helped with hair growth by accident. NO I have no dandruff at all but I decided what the heck I tried everything else and gave it a try. I have to say after about 2 wees I noticed lLOTS less shedding and breaking!!!!. I use this everyother day and the other days I use Pantene regular shampoo. I also use Pantene regular seperate conditioner
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic