Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Advice for Our Newbies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
thyckladie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thyckladie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2006 at 1:50pm
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding my hair dryness. I moved to Kentucky from New Orleans, and the water here dries my hair out and I have dry scalp problem now. Any products you recommend for dry hair and scalp. My hair is also shedding, and I know that it is from my dry scalp, so I decided to not put a relaxer in it, until I get my hair strength back.  I would appreciate any advice

F.A.I.T.H
For All I Trust Him
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by thyckladie thyckladie wrote:

Hello,

I am new to the forum and I have a question regarding my hair dryness. I moved to Kentucky from New Orleans, and the water here dries my hair out and I have dry scalp problem now. Any products you recommend for dry hair and scalp. My hair is also shedding, and I know that it is from my dry scalp, so I decided to not put a relaxer in it, until I get my hair strength back.  I would appreciate any advice

Sounds like you would really benefit from using a shower filter.  A lot of people who have hard water really benefit from them. 
mealncholymonie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mealncholymonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 2:39pm
Wow I've never thought of a shower filter!! Thanks Pokahontas, you helped me out!
thyckladie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thyckladie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 2:39pm
Gee what would that do ? and would that help my dry scalp and hair shedding ?

F.A.I.T.H
For All I Trust Him

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 10:22am
Originally posted by thyckladie thyckladie wrote:

Gee what would that do ? and would that help my dry scalp and hair shedding ?

Yeah, it should help a lot.  It's probably the hard water thats making your hair dry.  You could try doing a final rinse in bottled water if you don't want to buy one just yet.

Edited by Pokahontas - May 18 2006 at 10:23am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2006 at 10:24am
Originally posted by mealncholymonie mealncholymonie wrote:

Wow I've never thought of a shower filter!! Thanks Pokahontas, you helped me out!

Your welcome.  I'm glad to help.
retagirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retagirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 12:58pm
Hello everyone, I'm new and Ive been reading the tips on here. I need some advice on hair oil or grease i should use. I have been using Proclaim (Natural 7 oils) and sometimes Dudleys hair and scalp conditioner with Petrolatum and Mineral oil and the first two ingredients. I recently read that you sholuld stay away from petroleum and mineral oil. Also, what is a regimen and can someone give me some advice on how to start mine?
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 10:42am

Try using olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, castor oil(thickness), safflower oil(dryness), grapeseed oil or jojoba oil instead of oils w/ mineral oil/petrooleum. hope this helps.

Originally posted by retagirl retagirl wrote:

Hello everyone, I'm new and Ive been reading the tips on here. I need some advice on hair oil or grease i should use. I have been using Proclaim (Natural 7 oils) and sometimes Dudleys hair and scalp conditioner with Petrolatum and Mineral oil and the first two ingredients. I recently read that you sholuld stay away from petroleum and mineral oil. Also, what is a regimen and can someone give me some advice on how to start mine?

Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Ladimadden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladimadden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2006 at 10:00pm
  First of all i want to thank you all for your insight on hair this is much needed for me being that i no longer have a Relaxer...Now I have to find out how to care for my natural hair and this is all new to me...Thank you for the advice it will not be taken lightly on my end!!!!
In all your ways acknowledge Him
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 2:46pm
Welcome to the forum Ladimadden:)
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2006 at 3:23pm
The only thing I can recommend to the newbies is that they should not go out and buy everything that was raved about by one person or a small group of people.  Also there is nothing wrong with cheap products, well a select number of them.  Also everyone's hair is different so don't compare hair growth rate with others and so forth.  Also keep your hair routine as simple as possible.  Most people with long hair have the most simple routine.  Sort of like a garden, don't fuss with it and it will grow like crazy (well the weeds will), but if you constantly doing something, you won't see much stuff.  That's all I have.        
gurlpleeze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gurlpleeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2006 at 9:05am
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for six months.  My hair broke off after trying to put in a relaxer by myself for the first time (stupid, I know.)

After my sister, a cosmetologist, cut off the damage in May, my hair was short, barely past my ears.  Before the relaxer incident my hair was two inches past my shoulders and almost all one length.  After mourning the loss during the summer, I got over it.  Hair DOES grow back; you have to be patient.  There are no overnight one-month miracles.  After three months of  putting together my own hair regimen here's what works for me:

1) Protein, protein, Protein

I was able to grow my hair out the first time becaust realize that those protein shakes had so many B vitamins and Biotin.   I also drink Chocolate soymilk shakes.

I take 5000 mcg of Biotin a day.  It takes two weeks for a regular infusion of Biotin to kick in then after about a month, I see 3/4 an inch of growth.

2) Surge and Tea Tree Oil

I noticed that when I use Tea Tree Oil on razorbumps or ingrown hairs the skin is healed overnight.  So, two times a week I massage just a bit of tea tree oil on the scalp and it works wonders.  The roots grow in very thick and strong.

3) Dove Moisture Spray or Motions Leave-In

I use these sprays just to keep my ends from drying out from time to time.   But a good leave-in will work.

So, that's my two cents.  Hopefully I can set up a Foki account with pics.

Edited by gurlpleeze - October 07 2006 at 9:08am
capuishis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote capuishis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2006 at 8:55am
Hi, I am new here and very DESPERATE.   I need help with my 10 yr. old grandaughters hair.  She has the thickest, curliest, matted hair I have ever seen.  Her Mom has her wash it and uses almost a bottle of conditioner, (treseme, pantene, any kind at all).  She cries and begs her mom to stop combing thru the conditioner at every shampoo day.  It kills me to see her struggle with her hair.  Please help me help her to deal with her beautiful hair and realize she is not the only one who deals with this thick, tangled hair.   There has to be something she can do to tame this curly, matted hair.  She doesn't comb it like she should for just this reason.  She can't get a comb or brush thru it,, it is that thick.  HELP.. Thank you so much. 
Carol P
MRS.J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MRS.J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 5:22pm
I'M TRING TO SEE ABUT GETTING HAIR EXTENTIONS IN MY HAIR BUT I WANT SOME THAT IS GOING TO LAST MORE THEN 6   MONTHS BUT LONGER AND WITHOUT BRAIDING &SEWING & NO GLUE PRODUCTS IS THERE AWAY FOR THIS METHOD   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2006 at 6:13pm

Mrs.J- if you get extensions and leave them in for six months- your hair will be loc'ed underneath. Unless you are referring to infusions where they do a strand by strand extension. I have only seen it done once- it took 8 hours and cost $1000. If i hadn't seen the girl come in with short hair- you could not have told me that the waist length hair was not hers.

MRS.J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MRS.J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2006 at 6:24pm
thanx for the responds back to my question but whats the best and longer lasting method to get extentions the sewing onto the braid method or the section by section method & without damaging the hair but help grow my own hair underneth    
diamondskey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diamondskey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 5:29pm
That was great information and thank you for it.
There is nothing like a head of healthy hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2006 at 10:34pm
You can only leave a sew-in weave for 6 to 8 weeks, Individual braids for up to 3 months and then they have to come out or your hair will dred up.  Do not get micro braids. Make sure that your braids are at least the size of a No. 2 pencil. Make sure that you oil your scalp and spray with a good watery leave-in conditioner. Shampoo/condition weekly w/ diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner. Tie your hair up at nite with a satin scarf or sleep on satin pillowcases. HTH

Edited by carameldiva - November 11 2006 at 10:37pm
Hair Goddess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hair Goddess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2007 at 8:04pm
I think this is great advice.Clap
Although I'm natural (4 years now) and my hair just will not grow, no matter what I do.  It's weak, weak, weak! Ouch
I've thought of either getting a perm (which I dread because of the chemicals going into the body), or just doing nothing at all and throw on a wig.
Anywhoo...great advice for those who have 'real' hair that will get strong and grow. Confused
maar22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maar22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2007 at 9:31am
I have found some great products I swear by from Motions.  My top 3 are, the Motions Oil Moisturizer Hair Relaxer, Motions at home shine enhancing pomade, and Motions at Home Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion.

I have been using these products for the past few years now and my hair has never been healthier, I hope this helps! Check out their site for more information, http://www.motionshair.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
  Share Topic