Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody Else Getting More Tender Headed ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by ~~MrsJones~~ ~~MrsJones~~ wrote:

I am experiencing that as well...I noticed that my head hurts alot now and that when I feel around on my scalp, it really is tender in some spots. I thought I was the only one as well.

My scalp only hurts when I pull on my natural hair while combing or braiding it. Are you saying yours hurts just when you touch it with your hands ?
prettyandbrains View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettyandbrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:22pm
If your scalp is hurting you probably have natural new growth. When you go natural without the perms, your hair takes on a different curly shape. When that happens, you will have more resistance from the coils being stretched and going back into relaxation mode (kinda like the spring model in physic's). This actually causes tension to the scalp, whereas when the hair strands are straight there is not a lot of pulling involving the scalp. This difference is felt as tenderness. It gets greater with the accumulation of new growth as there are more coils thus more tension. I would recommend a silkening, conditioning moisturizer and less combing if necessary.
~~MrsJones~~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~~MrsJones~~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 11:23pm
Other parts of my head other than my hairline is sore. My mother said that it may be from my scalp not getting air the way it should. I didnt really notice until this past weekend and I have been wearing lf for almost two years.

I have been natural all my life so Im not quite sure if it is a new growth problem. I have 3a/3b hair type and i dont really have a big problem combing my hair out to shampoo. I don't know what is making me tenderheaded because I have never been.

Edited by ~~MrsJones~~ - April 05 2008 at 11:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:02am

My tender headedness has nothing to do with new growth either. I haven't put a relaxer or any type of chemical treatments in my natural hair for over 10 years.

MrsJones your scalp tenderness sounds like the sore spots I sometimes get on the thin layer of muscles under my scalp from prolonged stress. It only gets sore to the touch in certain spots when that happens to me and it's my reminder to stop bringing my work home and schedule a spa day so I can just chill out and relax. Sounds like a GOOD excuse for you to pamper yourself Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~~MrsJones~~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:07am
That sounds about right. I have been very stressed from maintaining my business and clients...I sure do need some pampering girl.lol.we should make a point to pamper ourselves.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:11am
ITA  I'm gonna run myself a really hot bubble bath before bed and chill out with a good book and a glass of wine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ~~MrsJones~~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 12:14am
oohh girl That sounds great...Sexi should put that in the newbie section as a tip..PAMPER YOURSELF or else...lol
griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 5:32pm
CG,

I am def. more tender headed.  I think it's from not handling my hair much.  Now that I don't get it straightened, the only tension I put on it is when its loaded with conditioner (to comb it out).  It seems like my new growth is getting more and more, umm, RESISTANT!  You have to figure though with lfs, you're not doing anything stressful to your hair underneath.  Girl, your scalp is just spoiled!  I do use miconazole nitrate mixed with sulfur 8 on my scalp and my hair is growing like a weed.  I didn't know that mtg treated fungus, but the mn concoction works some kind of magic....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by griff griff wrote:

CG,

I am def. more tender headed.  I think it's from not handling my hair much.  Now that I don't get it straightened, the only tension I put on it is when its loaded with conditioner (to comb it out).  It seems like my new growth is getting more and more, umm, RESISTANT!  You have to figure though with lfs, you're not doing anything stressful to your hair underneath.  Girl, your scalp is just spoiled!  I do use miconazole nitrate mixed with sulfur 8 on my scalp and my hair is growing like a weed.  I didn't know that mtg treated fungus, but the mn concoction works some kind of magic....

I think it's like you said Griff. Our scalps are just spoiled now and no longer accustomed to having to endure any stress or tension.

What is miconazole nitrate? Is that coochie cream from the grocery store? If not where can I find it cuz I wanna see if it will speed up my growth even more. Can you mix it with anything or only with certain stuff ?

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Curlygirl11 Curlygirl11 wrote:

CG,

I think it's like you said Griff. Our scalps are just spoiled now and no longer accustomed to having to endure any stress or tension.

What is miconazole nitrate? Is that coochie cream from the grocery store? If not where can I find it cuz I wanna see if it will speed up my growth even more. Can you mix it with anything or only with certain stuff ?

yes its coochie cream mixed with other hair creams.. but you can't do both the monistat and the MTG, that's not a good mix b/c its over kill.. they are both anti-fungal medicines.. i used it before but i mixed mine's with perm repair.. but now i stick to one the sulu, b/c some people choose the miconazole nitrate b/c they might be allergic to sulfur.. so it's an alternative, honestly when i used it i can't account for a lot of growth, i got more with MTG..

Edited by sexibeach - April 06 2008 at 6:27pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

Originally posted by Curlygirl11 Curlygirl11 wrote:

CG,

yes its coochie cream mixed with other hair creams.. but you can't do both the monistat and the MTG, that's not a good mix b/c its over kill.. they are both anti-fungal medicines.. i used it before but i mixed mine's with perm repair.. but now i stick to one the sulu, b/c some people choose the miconazole nitrate b/c they might be allergic to sulfur.. so it's an alternative, honestly when i used it i can't account for a lot of growth, i got more with MTG..

I'm already using Sulu Hair's MaxGro (I just call is MTG cuz it's shorter). So are you saying that using the coochie meds with some type of hair grease would the same thing as MTG ?
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 6:59pm
yes similar but only use one or the other.. like i said i didn't experience the same hair growth burst's like do with the MTG/sulu..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 7:03pm
Okay, thanks. I think I'll just stick with my MTG then. I've already got enough products laying around that I don't use.
griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 8:03pm
CG,

I bought Sulu and was allergic to something in it.  I don't use coochie cream LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I mix a container of the light blue sulfur 8 (I love it cause it's really tingly...it makes me feel like something is happening!) with some athlete's foot powder (I use desenex cause it has the MN in it, I get a really big container and use about a third of it with each batch.), and I add in about 80 drops of orange essential oil. I mix it really well and apply it to my scalp.

When i'm not wearing lfs, I use it daily and massage my scalp.  When I am wearing them, I use it when I shampoo.  I can attest to about an inch and a half growth in 6 weeks.  My hair usually grows a half inch per month, so I was pretty impressed.  I doesn't drip, leak or get super oily and it doesn't smell.  I wish I could use the mtg though cause lots of you swear by it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 8:15pm

CG,

I bought Sulu and was allergic to something in it.  I don't use coochie cream LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

I mix a container of the light blue sulfur 8 (I love it cause it's really tingly...it makes me feel like something is happening!) with some athlete's foot powder (I use desenex cause it has the MN in it, I get a really big container and use about a third of it with each batch.), and I add in about 80 drops of orange essential oil. I mix it really well and apply it to my scalp.

When i'm not wearing lfs, I use it daily and massage my scalp.  When I am wearing them, I use it when I shampoo.  I can attest to about an inch and a half growth in 6 weeks.  My hair usually grows a half inch per month, so I was pretty impressed.  I doesn't drip, leak or get super oily and it doesn't smell.  I wish I could use the mtg though cause lots of you swear by it!

Hmmm, maybe you're allergic to 1 of the oils in the MTG.

An inch and a half of growth in 6 weeks is a LOT !!  Are you eating anything different or taking hair vitamins ? I'm just wondering if there's anything else that could account for your accelerated hair growth. If not Imma have to try that cuz that's way more than I'm getting with my MTG even though I take hair vitamins. 
prettyandbrains View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettyandbrains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 10:50pm
I am so laughing at Sexi.... Coochie creamsouthparkhead
griff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 11:11pm

Hey CG,

I don't know if anything else is causing the growth.  I am a chronic dieter determined to lose the last 10lbs.  I flip between low carb and low calorie.  I think my dieting is a little extreme and can't imagine that it's helping growth.  I HATE drinking water.  I drink just enough to get my allegra d in so that i'm not miserable with allergies....damn green new jersey!  I have prenatal vitamins which I'm told I can still take (even though my tubes are tied) and I bought biotin.  I hate taking pills as much as drinking water, so I rarely take them Confused

I think it was one of the oils in the Sulu cause I use sulfur now.  I also try to keep it out of my hair, so it forces me into a really good moisturizing and sealing routine before applying it to my scalp.  Let me know if you decide to try it and get good results.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2008 at 11:39pm

Hey CG,

I don't know if anything else is causing the growth.  I am a chronic dieter determined to lose the last 10lbs.  I flip between low carb and low calorie.  I think my dieting is a little extreme and can't imagine that it's helping growth.  I HATE drinking water.  I drink just enough to get my allegra d in so that i'm not miserable with allergies....damn green new jersey!  I have prenatal vitamins which I'm told I can still take (even though my tubes are tied) and I bought biotin.  I hate taking pills as much as drinking water, so I rarely take them Confused

I think it was one of the oils in the Sulu cause I use sulfur now.  I also try to keep it out of my hair, so it forces me into a really good moisturizing and sealing routine before applying it to my scalp.  Let me know if you decide to try it and get good results.

You sound as bad as me with the water intake. I usually take several vitamins a day but when I get really busy I've been known to forget to take them for weeks at a time. I'm gonna try your method and see what happens. If I get accelerated growth I'll be posting another hair growth thread to show the new growth.

Edited by Curlygirl11 - April 06 2008 at 11:40pm
TressaMagic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TressaMagic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2008 at 7:22pm
I have a fabulous resource for a sheabased buttercream for hair and my head is not nearly as tender or itchy.  Years of weaves, N-word stress and life wore my hair thin and scalp sore.  This  stuff is called hairwine or something like that , anyway you can order it online at www.healthyblakhair.com It smells like fresh grapes and lasts a long time.  You don't need to use thatmuchUnbraided the hair remans moist . . .just wanted to share another resource . .

Edited by TressaMagic - April 09 2008 at 7:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic