Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie needs your opinion + help!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie needs your opinion + help!
    Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:06pm
Hi Everyone!
I have wearing hair extensions for several years now but I am totally new to the world of lacewigs! new
Here is my last install pics on HB (bohyme hair), so you can check my hair color and the look I want to achieve:
First of all, I have to say I was blown away by how your apps look, all of you... you guys are doing an amazing job!Thumbs%20Up
I have read tons of posts and the newbie thread on this board a few times already but I have a bunch of questions remaining!...book
I have blonde hair, and I would like to purchase a blonde unit, but I haven't seen yet a convincing blonde lacewig with a flawless hairline, and that is my number 1 preocupation... the hairline...
I understand from reading you that California Lace Wig is a really good company, so I was thinking of ordering my future lacewig there, but at the same time, if someone thinks of another company that does a great job with blonde hair that would be nice!...
I came across this picture of a blonde lacewig -not that many on the web!-
 and it kind of scared me because the lace is showing quite a bit, especially if you zoom on it.
I want your opinion...
Do you think this is a decent hairline for a lacewig? The pictures I have seen on this board are so much nicer IMO, I can almost never see anything.
If there's something 'wrong' with this app, can you tell me what it is so I don't do the same mistake? Is it the type of lace, the color of the lace that is too light, or not enough density at the hairline, or not enough baby hair?Wacko
This is a picture of another blonde unit with a nicer appearance IMO, tell me what you think...

I would love your input on all this, and any advice is welcome! Thanks in advance!Embarrassed
Frenchie

Curlygirl11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlygirl11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:15pm
I think you did an excellent job with your weave ! If you send Annette at California Lace Wigs pics of the hair you want to mimic she should be able to duplicate it. Her units also have very natural hairlines.

The lf in the first pic that you didn't like may not be the problem but it's hard to tell from the pic. It looks to me like that lady just had a bad application. Another woman might be able to work magic with that exact same unit and make it look flawless.
happydesta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happydesta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:17pm
Good blonde units can be done. Nicole Kidman almost always wears one in her movies.
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:24pm
if you go with a chinese vendor try rex ... i usually have blonde highlights in my wigs i havent had any problems with his hair...

also ... if you get a virgin unit you can take it to a colorist who can lift the color for you ...
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:52pm
Hey welcome we have a few ladies that wear the lf's in blonde that are white ladies that wear them and in blonde.. Jacksun has european hair which would better for you and better able to have the blonde hair.. eastside is white, i can't remember her new name on here.. i've got to fine her thread.. but he's a chinese vendor..i know most that order for the first time from a chinese vendor are a little nervous but this one is reputible and the ones we've listed and you will get your unit, its the western union payment that makes you nervous.. if you decide on one post and we'll let you know if its a good one.. if you can find a vendor with european hair its a better choice for the blonde color's the picture that you posted was not a very well applied unit.. extensions can do a job on damaging your hair but lf's can get it back healthy again...christina wear's them too

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 6:55pm
i need to help christina get that part together..

frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:13pm
Thank you guys SO much for your answers!...
Curlygirl & Sexibeach, you say that the application isn't good, can you tell me more? So you don't think there's a problem with the lace color? (too light?)
Happydesta, I had no idea Nicole Kidman was wearing LF in her movies, good to know!
Intl Babygirl, ideally, I'd like to have it colored already. I would really like some asian hair -Bohyme is partly asian and I like it a lot- because I want straight and sleek style.
Sexibeach, you're right about hair extensions. What really bugs me though isn't the potential damage on my real hair but the maintenance. My own hair is quite oily so I have to wash my hair/blowdry/style daily, which is quite time-consuming.
On this picture of Christina just above, you can see she's got a bunch of baby hair on the front, maybe that's the key to a more natural hairline?

Oh another question: I am more tempted to try swiss lace instead of french, even though I have read that it is not recommended for newbies. I just know that unless the lacewig is totally 'invisible' I will not wear it, so it might be a better investment, even if the wig ends up lasting less, what do you think? Any newbies who has tried swiss lace on their first try?

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by frenchie1 frenchie1 wrote:

Thank you guys SO much for your answers!...
Curlygirl & Sexibeach, you say that the application isn't good, can you tell me more? So you don't think there's a problem with the lace color? (too light?)
Happydesta, I had no idea Nicole Kidman was wearing LF in her movies, good to know!
Intl Babygirl, ideally, I'd like to have it colored already. I would really like some asian hair -Bohyme is partly asian and I like it a lot- because I want straight and sleek style.
Sexibeach, you're right about hair extensions. What really bugs me though isn't the potential damage on my real hair but the maintenance. My own hair is quite oily so I have to wash my hair/blowdry/style daily, which is quite time-consuming.
On this picture of Christina just above, you can see she's got a bunch of baby hair on the front, maybe that's the key to a more natural hairline?

Oh another question: I am more tempted to try swiss lace instead of french, even though I have read that it is not recommended for newbies. I just know that unless the lacewig is totally 'invisible' I will not wear it, so it might be a better investment, even if the wig ends up lasting less, what do you think? Any newbies who has tried swiss lace on their first try?

i understand your concern it was mine's as well, i personally have never worn a wig in my life and always didn't like the idea of it, until i saw how natural's lf's look.. swiss is more undetectable, but that's why i say go with a chinese vendor b/c its less in expense and therefore if you beat it up you won't feel like you spent an arm and a leg and destroyed it.. b/c until you learn the app skills down pat you will beat it up a little bit, and then spend more if you want too. but you might find you don't need too.. but that's up to you, especially since you do need the european hair, which with an american vendor could be very costly.. chinese you won't spend as much.. and some might have the kind of hair you usually use but you need to ask them if they have that type of texture.. personally i think brazilian or european would be best for you b/c every vendor doesn't feel comfortable going too light on certain hair textures, b/c they feel it damages the hair and it  might tangle. .these units are not suppose to tangle easy if the cuticles are aligned.. yes i always order baby hairs b/c is does help with the application to hide your flaws.. i personally cut the lace all the way back to the hairline so you can't see it.. you can always like i do, order transparent swiss lace b/c it works really well for me, and i'm sure it will do the same for you.. it melts into my skin and i'm rather light complexed... i use to order light brown b/c every vendor's light brown is different some came too dark for me, so i basically stick to transparent..

Edited by sexibeach - April 07 2008 at 7:26pm
intl_babygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intl_babygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:33pm
holly from Girls next door .... hugh hef's gf ... often wears lacefronts...

you can also seperatley order blonde hair and send it to china and have your wig made ...
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

i understand your concern it was mine's as well, i personally have never worn a wig in my life and always didn't like the idea of it, until i saw how natural's lf's look..

I know! I started looking at the lacefront board pictures after Charon posted a pic of a gorgeous closure piece on HB hair extensions board. I am just amazed by how natural they look!ShockedTongue
Thanks for your advice to go with a chinese vendor first, Rex seems like one of the best, and I saw a beautiful blonde unit on his fotki:

I know that I would want to cut the lace as close as possible from the hairline, and get a bunch of babyhairs to hide my mistakes!...

JLTabron told me via PM that she thought the lace from the first picture -the not-so-good-one- might be too light for her complexion and that she might need to color it.
How do you color transparent swiss lace though?Geek

sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:41pm
i don't know what kind of hair textures he has but you have to ask him that b4 you order.. when i cut the lace i use pinking shears b/c it cuts zig zig and not straight across therefore making it easier to blend with my skin..
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

you can also seperatley order blonde hair and send it to china and have your wig made ...

Is that right? Ooooooh!!!!!!!! Does it mean that I can send my Bohyme hair (which I know matches my own hair) and have it used to make a lacewig?!!Big%20smile
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

i don't know what kind of hair textures he has but you have to ask him that b4 you order.. when i cut the lace i use pinking shears b/c it cuts zig zig and not straight across therefore making it easier to blend with my skin..

Thanks for the tips Sexibeach!
Any idea on how to color a lace that is too light though? (in case transparent lace is too light for my skin tone)
Feel free to re direct me to an old post on this topic!Embarrassed
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by intl_babygirl intl_babygirl wrote:

Is that right? Ooooooh!!!!!!!! Does it mean that I can send my Bohyme hair (which I know matches my own hair) and have it used to make a lacewig?!!Big%20smile

yes you can but please be sure their hair is cuticle aligned.. do you have tangling issues with your extensions now? b/c if you do you might need to look further into other companies that have cuticle aligned hair b/c you wouldn't want to have a wig made and it tangle on you.. its so important.. like naturegirl.net has great hair.. and Extensions Plus does as well they are used in hollywood, then the cost of making a wig would be less if you provide the hair..

Edited by sexibeach - April 07 2008 at 7:52pm
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:00pm
Yes, bohyme hair is cuticle aligned, it is good hair. I have wearing Bohyme for a few years now and I love this hair. It doesn't last forever, like all extension hair or most of it, I wash my extensions every day, and it goes through blowdrying and ironing every single day. I can wear this hair for like 3-4 months straight.
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:04pm

Yes, bohyme hair is cuticle aligned, it is good hair. I have wearing Bohyme for a few years now and I love this hair. It doesn't last forever, like all extension hair or most of it, I wash my extensions every day, and it goes through blowdrying and ironing every single day. I can wear this hair for like 3-4 months straight.
well that's great altho lf's b/c of the knots involved blow drying isn't a good thing, and if you flat iron get a maxi glide moisture is key to make sure the life span of your unit last.. i mean i can understand if that's what you do, you do you.. but i'm just letting you know its not something recommended b/c the follicle is no longer attached to the hair, so moisture is key.. using a good moisturizer and conditioning is essential to keep it for a long time.. let me know if you need any help we're here for you..Wink

Edited by sexibeach - April 07 2008 at 8:05pm
frenchie1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 8:10pm
I hear you Sexibeach, I understand that I am not going to live handle the hair from a lacewig the same I can handle my extensions hair...
I know that I won't need to wash a lacewig as often as my hair, that's for sure! Blowdrying we'll see, and the straightening iron every once in a while, with a heat protectant I guess...
Thanks a lot for you help!!
Sorry to go back to this Sexibeach, but do you have any tips on how to color a transparent lace that would be too light for my skin tone?
pockyisgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pockyisgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 9:20pm
Sorry to butt in here, but X-Tina (lol) wears LF's???? I really thought I was good at detecting LF wearers but I never guessed about her!
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:44pm
Hey Frenchie,

Getting good blonde hair that you can use to have a LF made is going to be your biggest challenge.. IMO most Chinese vendors do not do a good job with blondes because they over process the hair (highlights are ONE thing a full head of blonde hair is quite another).. You and Sherrie wear the same colors, and Sherrie has been looking for a CV who does good quality blonde hair for a while now, and has had little luck.. If you can find a CV who has GENUINE European hair, you will be better off..

As for options for hair you can send to a vendor to have made into a wig, there are a few options who do good quality blondes. (at varying price levels)
  1. Extensions Plus European blonde hair is OFF THE METER in terms of cost.. I can't remember how much it is off the top of my head, but I think Sherrie still remembers the cost.. It is GORGEOUS though..
  2. Giovanni & Sons. This is the hair Sherrie purchased when she visted Los Angeles last year and wore for her last install.. They sell very nice quality blonde hair in the colors you desire..
  3. Wagmans Perfect Tress hair.. The colored line now comes in blondes in the longer lengths you like..

HTH.. Can't WAIT to see you in your first lacefront..

Edited by Divavocals - April 07 2008 at 10:45pm
sexibeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sexibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:12am

I hear you Sexibeach, I understand that I am not going to live handle the hair from a lacewig the same I can handle my extensions hair...
I know that I won't need to wash a lacewig as often as my hair, that's for sure! Blowdrying we'll see, and the straightening iron every once in a while, with a heat protectant I guess...
Thanks a lot for you help!!
Sorry to go back to this Sexibeach, but do you have any tips on how to color a transparent lace that would be too light for my skin tone?

i doubt that it would be too light for your skin if i can wear it.. but there's a tip in the newbie thread by breh on using rit dye color pens if you need it.. Divavocals is correct i was gonna add those sites like wagmans and the others as having great hair to make into a wig..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic