Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did my blond Highlights turn orange?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kosmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did my blond Highlights turn orange?
    Posted: April 16 2008 at 1:34pm
Every time I go to a public pool my blond highlighted hair turns orange-red at the tips.  I have long blond hair naturally, and I know my stylist uses a bleach highlighting agent.  What is causing this weird color change, what can I do to prevent it (other than no more swimming - I love to swim) and what can I do to change the current orang-ish color?  Thanks for any tips!

Carrie

Edited by Kosmo - April 16 2008 at 1:34pm
Slipknothartgir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slipknothartgir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2008 at 2:02pm
I'd get a shampoo that gets rid of cholrine in your colored hair.I wish I could name some.What u could do is call a salon & ask them what kind to get at keeping it from turning orange.Plus ask them what to use to get rid of the orange color.I don't wanna tell u to use something that may make it worse.I color mine red, so I don't know much about blonde hair good,luck! :)

Edited by Slipknothartgir - April 16 2008 at 2:03pm
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2008 at 7:27am
A mix of chlorine and copper pipes in a pool will make lightened hair turn greenish, but not orange.  That's a little strange that its turning orange.  (To get rid of any greenish tint from that, use a dilute vinegar rinse after you go to the pool, or a clarifying shampoo.  Anything acidic like that will help rinse off the copper residue).  Since its turning orange though, I'm not too sure what to tell you.

Are you getting it lightened just to dark blonde, or to a very light blonde?  Maybe if its darker blonde, the pool water is messing up your toner or the base in the dye that was used, allowing more orange to show through.  If its lighter highlights, like yellow or white, I'd guess its a residue and try the clarifying shampoo.  If your highlights are dark blonde though, I don't know if I'd try that, it might make it worse.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic