Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Regrowth & Care after Chemotherapy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sroceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sroceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Regrowth & Care after Chemotherapy
    Posted: November 08 2002 at 1:32am
I lost all of my hair earlier this year due to chemotherapy treatments for breast cancer. I am an AA female, who previously relaxed and colored her hair.

My hair is coming back now, but my gosh! it`s coming back in with more gray than I had before (it`s been a long rough year!). In about 4 more weeks, I think I will have enough hair to go scarfless, however, I do want to color.

Any suggestions on hair coloring? Please refresh my memory. If I start with Henna am I committed to it forever until I decide to cut it all off or let it grown out before I go to another type of coloring?

Do I have to stick with `reds` to cover my gray? I was told before that I had to use some red to get complete coverage, but the beautician always over did it. I want a more natural look. I have light complexioned with yellow undertones in my skin.

Thanks for any information.
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2002 at 7:55pm
Sroceo,
the important thing is not so much your hair as your health. i sincerely hope you have made a full recovery from your cancer. i am a completely bald woman, i have alopecia universalis, meaning i have no hair at all, yet i have a wonderful husband and two small children, a boy and a girl, and have a good life! whatever happens with your hair, please take care of yourself, follow the medical experts advice, and God be with you!
Love, Carol
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2002 at 9:34pm
Sroceo,
I have to agree with Carol, many women live a wonderful long life without hair, your health is the most important thing.
I hardly qualify as an expert on black hair since I am white, but I am married to a mixed race woman who is part black, part white, and a style that looks good on black women or mixed race women is a very short crop, the twa look! And if you are a black woman, and since most black women have black or brunette hair, go with dark hair in an attractive short style! Either that or go with a short grey haired crop! there are some very sexy middle aged women, white, black or mixed race that look great in a short grey or partially grey, short cropped look, with long dangle earrings, an attractive dress and scarf, etc.
I also am glad you wear headscarves, there are so many attractive ways women can wear headscarves, especially women with very short hair!
Best of luck lovely lady!
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2002 at 9:41pm
And Sroceo darling, since you have very short hair now, check out the writings on my ultra-shorthaired thread for women! Many beautiful women with short hair, ultra-short hair or the fashionable bald look(including my beautiful pregnant wife Monique) have written in, you may enjoy reading it!
sroceo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sroceo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2002 at 2:32am
Carol, Johan:
Thank you very much for your replies.

Yes, I have to keep telling myself that my health is more important. I guess I`m just anxious to get back to livng life as normal.

Believe it or not, at first I was a little upset about my hair. This is why I jumped and purchased an expensive prothesis. But after the chemotherapy wore me down and I got very ill, I realized that the hair was not me! That is, having hair did not make me feel any better.

Thanks again. I`ll take your words under advisement.

Cheers.
Dana the Cow View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dana the Cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2002 at 5:22pm
it`ll grow back fast. my god mother was on chemo on and off for 6 years and it was surprising how fast her hair grew. Since it`s short, every little bit will make a big difference. In a month it`ll probably be almost an inch long, which is long enough to do interesting things with. my godmother went off chemo for only 2 months and her hair appereared to grow real fast because... well think of it this way. if ur hair is down to ur butt and it grows a half an inch nobody will notice but if you`re bald and ur hair grows half an inch everyone will.... At least my godmother had a full head of hair for her funeral...
Karla View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2002 at 4:02am
Hi,

Hang in there. Yes, it does grow back quickly. My best friend went through the same thing and her doc told her to take Viviscal to help. It is all natural. She did and her hair grew back really quickly and very healthy. It even has a little curl when it didn`t have before and she loves the new texture.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic