Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair color description

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair color description
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:03pm
I saw a term written today: dishwater blonde. I really hate that description of hair color. People would refer to my hair color as "dishwater blonde" when I was growing up. No wonder I was always coloring it. I just feel that is such an uncomplimentary term.Clare
Clare
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I saw a term written today: dishwater blonde. I really> hate that description of hair color. People would> refer to my hair color as "dishwater blonde"> when I was growing up. No wonder I was always coloring> it. I just feel that is such an uncomplimentary term.> ClareHi Clare,I feel badly for you that you felt that your natural hair color was in need of "improvement." No matter what color it was, it certainly was not in need of any such alteration!To me, any natural haircolor looks better than colored hair in part because the collection of hairs have a natural tendency to be of a variety of colors, which adds to its richness.And I agree completely with your lament. The actual color of "dish" water depends on how dirty it is! So in a sense, the term is meaningless.You have given but one example of how uncomplimentary terms are applied to hair as a means of encouraging a general or specific change -- whether or not the people describing it as such are even aware of the affect of their words.Glad to hear you've gained the wisdom :-)Take care, Clare.Dave
David M Squires
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
I totally agree that terms like this are cruel, dishwater blonde, mousy brown, whatever, they're just another way to make people feel inadequate when in truth, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them or their hair. Its often the same with textures too, one person's hair is supposedly not thick enough to rate, too limp, too straight, too frizzy, too whatever. Its just a means to send us all running for the latest hair color, cosmetics, styling tools, you name it, pure consumer propaganda because in the end what nature gave you is probably the most beautiful of all anyway and should be respected for its uniqueness.I've noticed over the months that you've been gaining a whole new confidence though, huh, Clare as you've decided to ignore those innaccurate and hurtful kinds of beauty dogma and enjoy how special you are au naturale. Its been wonderful to hear about and I applaud you for your courage!Very best wishes to all,Dawn> I saw a term written today: dishwater blonde. I really> hate that description of hair color. People would> refer to my hair color as "dishwater blonde"> when I was growing up. No wonder I was always coloring> it. I just feel that is such an uncomplimentary term.> Clare
Kent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
Clare,It's unfortunate that some natural hair colors must be "labeled" in uncomplimentary ways. I definitely agree with Dave that everyone's hair color looks much better when it is natural.But you may have a laugh over me. We have a small dog that is half lhasa apso and half terrier. We jokingly call her two dogs in one because the front half of her body is covered in grey/white fur and the back half is brown. She looks like two separate dogs spliced together!Well, I just discovered I am the same way. (LOL with a ³red face²! ) Most of the hair on the back of my head (which is half way down my back) is a medium to dark brown with copper colored highlights and a few gray hairs. I am currently growing out my bangs and some short hair on the top and sides of my head (I had what I think they call a ³mullet²). Anyway, looking from the top of my head there are gray streaks come out, and the hair on the sides is a darker brown with a lot of gray. The result? I look like I have ³three heads of hair² that have been spliced together. (Talk about hair extensions!)Now that I am totally depressed I¹ll stop... :-) And, perhaps you will understand why today, when I decided to wear my hair in a ponytail and there seems to be no ³cement² known to man (or woman) that will plaster down those pesky short hairs, that I AM HAVING A BAD HAIR DAY! Oh, sorry to yell!In any case, I¹m going to leave my hair with this natural and unique combination of colors. Who knows, maybe it will look nice when all those short hairs finally grow out.Thanks for letting me vent.Kent
Kent
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:04pm
> I totally agree that terms like this are cruel,> dishwater blonde, mousy brown, whatever, they're just> another way to make people feel inadequate when in> truth, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them or> their hair. Its often the same with textures too, one> person's hair is supposedly not thick enough to rate,> too limp, too straight, too frizzy, too whatever. Its> just a means to send us all running for the latest> hair color, cosmetics, styling tools, you name it,> pure consumer propaganda because in the end what> nature gave you is probably the most beautiful of all> anyway and should be respected for its uniqueness.> I've noticed over the months that you've been gaining> a whole new confidence though, huh, Clare as you've> decided to ignore those innaccurate and hurtful kinds> of beauty dogma and enjoy how special you are au> naturale. Its been wonderful to hear about and I> applaud you for your courage!> Very best wishes to all,> Dawn
Clare
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:53pm
cool colors.
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 12:06am
yep very cool
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic