Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Long Hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Long Hair?
    Posted: February 02 2005 at 3:17pm
Hi Hi:

I get asked all the time by many of my girlfriends, and many times by women I do not know.

Why do you have long hair?

I look at them and I answer. Why do you think! Because I LIKE IT.

What do you G&G's - Gal's & Guy's. Tell people when they ask you?

Susan
Susan
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 4:10pm
ah! I am soooo sick of people telling me to cut my hair, over and over again! I just tell them very bluntly how sick of hearing it I am... They stop telling me :)
Sara
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 5:46pm
My Mom and brother always say to cut it and I'm told my grandmother doesn't like it either.

But otherwise no one asks me. All my friends are online and they aren't people who ask things like that. They like me for who I am.

The only comments I've gotten at all in public was a few weeks ago I was at the store in line and this other long haired guy walked by and said something about "you hippy" or "long hair" or something in a joking tone. I didn't know for sure if he meant me cuz I was kinda ignoring him.
As I was getting in my car he walked by and asked if I heard his joke and I said yes in a friendly like way.
I knew he was just joking.

No matter what anyone says the answer will be something along the lines of, "I'm not cutting it" or "It's My hair"
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 6:57am
Strangers ask you why you have long hair? Jeez! In my mind that's a really odd thing to ask a stranger. I think I'd have to give them the "why would you ask a weirdo thing like that?" look so they would realize they were being a bit weird to someone they don't even know.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 12:50pm
People shouldnt be concerned about other's hair. This tells you where their mind is.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2005 at 4:19pm
What a strange question! It's one thing for friends and family to comment, but total strangers ask too? I would want to know why they were asking, might even ask them why they were asking. When my hair is long, the only unsolicited comment I would get would be about how I hide behind my hair. When I'd ask my friends for their opinions about my hair, they would tell me my long hair looked scraggly and unhealthy. But that was only if I asked! From the photo, you hair looks very well cared for. The ladies asking are probably just jealous you look so good and they want your beautiful hair! ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 11:21am
Hi All:

Thank you all so much for your replys.

Sunrise - Its not that people just walk up to me and ask me that question. It happends at times like when I am in line at the supermarket, and the woman next to me in line will start to chat. Also when I am dealing with sales girls in stores.

It's at time like that I get asked this.

PS: Thank you for the kind words.

Take care - Susan
Susan
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 3:15pm
Well, a quick question - exactly how long is your hair?
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
sunrise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 3:24pm
Hi Susan!

Yours is the kind of hair I would be asking, 'What's your secret?!' Products, regime, advice, please!

From what you share, it sounds likely that these women admire your hair and their question is meant to open up conversation on how you take good care of it. I still think I'd be tempted to ask right back with a big disarming smile, 'Why do you ask?'

REALLY long hair seems to turn all heads. The question before mine has me curious too...how long is your hair?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2005 at 11:29pm
Ditto, Deltagirl! :) C'mon, spill! What's your current length and what's your hair goal?
my LJ, 40 inches long
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2005 at 10:51am
My public reason I like long hair: I like long hair.

My private reason for long hair: wouldn't you like to know? Long hair makes me feel like a sexy woman. There is also a spiritual reason why I have long hair too but this is not the place to discuss it.

My economical reason for long hair: saves on time and money. I don't need so many haircuts, washing/styling products, time on blowing drying and styling.

When someone says they like chocolate cake, does someone ask why? Could someone really tell you why they like chocolate cake other than they like the taste, it makes them happy etc?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:54pm
The perfect (?) response to the question would be:

"Why do you wear your hair short?"

When they complete their answer, then just walk away. (heh heh -- you never answered their question).

(Okay, that's just one way -- a snarky way -- of handling the situation. There are lots of others. Some nicer, some even more snarky. Depends on your mood and the tone of the person asking the question).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 11:56am
Hi Hi:

Thank you all for the kind words. You guys and gals are all so sweet. I have no real hair secret. I just wash, condition and try to take care of it. When it rains or snows, I stick it all under a hat or a hood. I never put my blow dryer on high. I always use a low to middle heat setting.

Right now my hair is at breast level. I have no real hair length goal. I really like it at this length. It makes me feel good and I enjoy how it feels on my neck and shoulders.

Ok, Ok, I will dish girlfriends. It also makes me feel sexy. Ok, I said it. By the way - The guys all seem to like it also. Lest thats what they tell me.

Hugs - Susan
Susan
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by deltagirl12345 deltagirl12345 wrote:

Ok, Ok, I will dish girlfriends. It also makes me feel sexy. Ok, I said it. By the way - The guys all seem to like it also. Lest thats what they tell me.

Nothing to be embarrassed about! I feel the same way about my hair. It's a feminizing effect. (LOL and I was never much of a feminist until I grew my hair out.)

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 7:09am
Hi AnaisSatin

You are so right. Having soft long hair does make me feel very feminine.

Truth is, I love that feeling.

Hugs Susan
Susan
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 3:09am
My reasons for having long hair;

I love the feeling of having long hair (my hair is mid-back length at present). It is a great feeling having long, smooth, silky hair flowing down your back.
There is also a community of sorts, of men and women who wear very long hair. I write on long haired websites (I recognize a few of you here on this website) and enjoy discussing long hair and hairstyles in general with people.
I also like how it is an ice breaker, people,(especially women), often ask me about my long hair;... how long it took to grow it, what shampoos and conditioners I use, how they love my long hair and think my long hair looks beautiful, how they wish their husbands or boyfriends would grow their hair long, etc..
I get far more compliments than any sort of negativity. And if someone is curious about long hair or asks me why I grow my hair so long,(which people rarely do, most people mind their own business), I am happy to answer their questions.
I also enjoy the versaitility of very long hair, how I can wear it straight and loose down my back, wrap a headscarf around my head and wear my hair down my back with the headwrap, wear my long tresses in a ponytail (which I usually do at work), put my tresses up in a bun or an updo (usually with my wife's help, she is very good at putting people's long hair in buns or updos). Of course using a curling iron or rollers to put some curls in it is another option, (although my very straight silky hair doesn't hold curls for long).
And I like using various hair accessories such as scrunchies, clips, barrettes, scarves to tie back my ponytail or use as headwraps, etc...
My wife is very into long haired men also, which is another reason I like wearing ultra-long hair. She has always encouraged me to grow my hair as long as I can, and loves helping me take care of my long tresses, she actually enjoys detangling my hair, brushing it, etc... It helps to have a spouse who is into you having ultra long hair.
My daughters seem to like my long hair also.
In fact of the people I know, none of them seem to dislike my long hair.
To me their are many positives and very few negatives about having long hair. True it takes a little longer at night to wash, shampoo, and condtion it (I wash my hair every day, and shampoo and condition my hair every other day), but to me it is worth it.
Long hair, in a way, also makes me feel masculine and macho. I wear not only long hair but a goatee beard, and sometimes earrings, and to me that look on a dude has always been one of a cool, macho sort of fellow!
Or maybe it's just my style.

Long hair isn't right for everyone, it is good that different people have different hair lengths and hair styles, I enjoy many hair lengths and hair styles on people (especially the lovely ladies!!!).......... but it is right for me having long hair, and that is the important thing, wearing your hair how you like it!

Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 3:49pm
I worked a job once where more than one person asked me about my hair, and they were usually pretty obnoxious about it.

One much older lady came up to me while I was doing something else and out of the clear blue says, 'You know, there's no point in your having that kind of length to your hair if you're not going to do anything with it. You need to put it up.' She was wearing a Yaki ponytail at the time. So I asked her did she think that I should do what she was doing and basically break my hair off by putting plastic in it? Even though my hair is pretty strong, it suffers from dryness and fake hair like braids, ponytails and wigs are a bad idea for me.

Well, she was quite offended and scolded me. Finally I responded, 'Look, you're not my mother.' And she answered, 'I know I'm not! None of my children would speak to me as disrespectfully as you just did!' Perhaps, but sticking your nose in someone's else business is a good invitation to have it whacked off...she didn't have much to say to me the rest of the time we worked together, which was a shame. I didn't have a problem with her, I just didn't welcome her unsolicited advice on what I should do with MY hair.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 9:01pm
That co-worker said, "You know, there's no point in your having that kind of length to your hair if you're not going to do anything with it. You need to put it up," and then complained that *you* were disrespectful to *her*? Egads, I am sorry she did that to you Supersugar. Makes you wonder if she is also the kind of person that would tell a regular updo wearer that they might as well have short hair because they never wear it down.

Sounds as if there is some official list floating around out there with the rules that must be followed concerning hair on others. Anyone caught being disobedient gets a well deserved lecture on propriety.

Gormlaith
BlondeJohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlondeJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 12:25am
Sorry that you lovely long haired women have met some inconsiderate people who bother you about your choice of hairstyle.
I will state this though, I actually love it when women wear their long hair in updos! It really is a sexy look, and some of the updos are gorgeous.

The advantage of a nice looking lady wearing her hair up are several;
one- the updos themselves can be beautiful.
two- you can see a woman's features easily.
three- earrings, especially long dangle or hoop earrings, really look good with an updo. Necklaces too. Jewelry in general compliments an attractive updo!!!

I personally love long or short hairstyles on women, as long as it looks good on them, that it is a hairstyle that flatters them.
A woman really needs to know what works best for her.
So does a man for that matter.
My wife wears her hair short. I wear my hair long. Those styles work for us.

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 8:22am
My personal feeling is that if someone has to ask, "Why long hair?", they're never going to understand.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic