Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Paula Begoun's New Haircare book and Aubrey Organics Controversy - could this be true?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPaula Begoun's New Haircare book and Aubrey Organics Controversy - could this be true?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paula Begoun's New Haircare book and Aubrey Organics Controversy - could this be true?
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:33am
Hello :)The new revised version of Paula Begoun's book called "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me" arrived in my mailbox yesterday. Having become a recent fan of Aubrey Organics hair care products, I quickly thumbed through the book to see if this hair care line would be reviewed and what Paula would have to say about them. You should have seen my draw drop when I read Paula's review how "The Rose Sheet for March 15, 1999 mentioned that Aubrey Organics was in violation of catalog mislabeling and good manufacturing practises...the FDA investigators also determined several Aubrey products, bear labeling that cause them to be drugs, and therefore, are not in compliance with...of topical guidelines". She also believes that "given the consistency and feel of the products" she doesn't believe the ingrediant listings and doesn't believe AO is providing a complete ingrediant listing. Further, she questions that because the ingrediant lists do not include standard preservatives they run a risk of contamination from mold and bacteria which is dangerous for the eyes and skin. According to Paula, the vitamins C, A, and E uses as preservatives "have their own stability problems and deteriorate quickly with exposure to air".What do you think? Do you think this could be true? I hope not! I LOVE these products and they have done amazing things for my hair!MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Maleah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:33am
If Aubrey Organics is working well for your hair, why on earth would you switch?? I love AO!> Hello :)> The new revised version of Paula Begoun's book called> "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without> Me" arrived in my mailbox yesterday. Having> become a recent fan of Aubrey Organics hair care> products, I quickly thumbed through the book to see if> this hair care line would be reviewed and what Paula> would have to say about them. You should have seen my> draw drop when I read Paula's review how "The> Rose Sheet for March 15, 1999 mentioned that Aubrey> Organics was in violation of catalog mislabeling and> good manufacturing practises...the FDA investigators> also determined several Aubrey products, bear labeling> that cause them to be drugs, and therefore, are not in> compliance with...of topical guidelines". She> also believes that "given the consistency and> feel of the products" she doesn't believe the> ingrediant listings and doesn't believe AO is> providing a complete ingrediant listing. Further, she> questions that because the ingrediant lists do not> include standard preservatives they run a risk of> contamination from mold and bacteria which is> dangerous for the eyes and skin. According to Paula,> the vitamins C, A, and E uses as preservatives> "have their own stability problems and> deteriorate quickly with exposure to air".> What do you think? Do you think this could be true? I> hope not! I LOVE these products and they have done> amazing things for my hair!> Maria
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:33am
Actually I'm not planning on switching at all. I love AO too and am thrilled what they have done for my hair and skin. I have read Paula's first edition of this book and this second edition, and have noticed something. When the subject of herbs/natural ingrediants in hair care products, she seems to give them a negative review. She seems to think that anything natural in a hair care product has no effect on the hair and just gets rinsed down the drain. My point is this: If this is true and as she claims natural ingrediants have no effect on our hair, then why after using products like AO's is our hair more shinier, full of body, and in better overall condition? I wonder if Paula has even tried AO hair care products? I'm guessing no.MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:33am
Then, Maria.....don't read her books! :)I've picked up "Don't...Cosmetics Counter" a few times in bookstores. She gave Aveda decent reviews. But I disagreed with many of her others. I think Begoun's intentions are good, but you can't run with /one/ person's opinion on anything.Ally
Amber View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:34am
> Hello :)> The new revised version of Paula Begoun's book called> "Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without> Me" arrived in my mailbox yesterday. Having> become a recent fan of Aubrey Organics hair care> products, I quickly thumbed through the book to see if> this hair care line would be reviewed and what Paula> would have to say about them. You should have seen my> draw drop when I read Paula's review how "The> Rose Sheet for March 15, 1999 mentioned that Aubrey> Organics was in violation of catalog mislabeling and> good manufacturing practises...the FDA investigators> also determined several Aubrey products, bear labeling> that cause them to be drugs, and therefore, are not in> compliance with...of topical guidelines". She> also believes that "given the consistency and> feel of the products" she doesn't believe the> ingrediant listings and doesn't believe AO is> providing a complete ingrediant listing. Further, she> questions that because the ingrediant lists do not> include standard preservatives they run a risk of> contamination from mold and bacteria which is> dangerous for the eyes and skin. According to Paula,> the vitamins C, A, and E uses as preservatives> "have their own stability problems and> deteriorate quickly with exposure to air".> What do you think? Do you think this could be true? I> hope not! I LOVE these products and they have done> amazing things for my hair!> MariaIt's true about the preservatives in natural products. That is the reason why I would not use them. Personally I did not like the aubrey products at all and stick with my Nexxus and ARTec, which I found far superior.
Alexandra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:34am
Man, you don't know who to believe these days, do you?I remember reading a section of one of Paula's books online that had some comments about Aubrey. I also read more of her comments about other natural cosmetic companies. She seems to have a strong dislike towards anything that says it is natural.She also has her own cosmetic line herself to "fill in the blanks" that all the other companies are missing, right?I agree with Ally, go with what works for your hair. I would still say that Aubrey is MORE natural than your average stuff, but it may be a good thing to keep in mind that natural isn't always better at times. My hair seems to go for ARTec over the JAY. To each his own.Just my two cents,Alexandra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic