Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2006 Shoulder Length Challenge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
MsMiamiLady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMiamiLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2006 Shoulder Length Challenge
    Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:01pm
             Shoulder Length Growth Challenge

There are a lot of you with gorgeous, hair near the midback or bra strap length, but is there anyone trying to make it to collarbone/shoulder length this year?

i'm natural - so, going for shoulder when stretched/pulled
about 4/5 inches right now

regimen:
condition wash - 2 times a week
deep condition - once a week
use shampoo(mane n tail) - daily
spritz hair w/ water - 3 or 4 times daily
apply leave-in - 2 times daily [morning & night]
detangle - once a week
use wgho- every other day
use african bx braid spray

i'm going for nov/dec 2006 for the goal date.

Feel free to post your thoughts and your regimen.
i think we'll all do wonderfully!
best wishes all you lovely ladies
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:11pm

I really hate to butt in, since I'm not incuded in this challenge, but I have a suggestion.

I've never used mane n' tail shampoo, so I can't say how moisturizing or non-moisturizing it is. However, if you use shampoo every day, be careful that the shampoo is not stripping your hair.

When my hair was natural and I washed it every day, I used Creme of Nature for dry/damaged hair and it was so moisturizing that I didn't use a separate conditioner. It never felt "squeaky clean", but it did feel clean and SOFT. I hear that it doesn't have sulfates, but I don't know if that's true or not. I wasn't into reading labels at that time.

So, if your hair is "squeaky clean" after you wash it, it's too clean, and I would suggest you at least try Creme of Nature for dry/damaged hair and see if you like that.

Also, the longer your hair gets, the drier it will feel. I don't know why. When my hair was very short, I would wash, skip conditioner, apply gel and go. When it reached my shoulders, washing and conditioning just 3 times a week with no gel made my hair dry.

So, as your hair gets longer, you may have to not shampoo as much.

Hope I've helped.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
R2D2inoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R2D2inoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:31pm

Yes I don't shampoo every time I wash either and I've just switched to African Black soap too for hair washes,  It seems to be less harsh and actually made my hair feel soft.

I agree with Renata that dryness becomes more of a problem the longer hair gets.

Natural 10 years
3b/4a armpit length hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMiamiLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 9:49pm
so wen u wash ur hair, u have to use different shampoo's? i heard daily cleaning ur scalp is healthy? is it?
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 1:19pm

Your hair doesn't get dirty that quickly. Think about it, if you wash your hair today, how dirty have you gotten it just since yesterday? Also, our hair/scalp don't get naturally very oily, like caucasian hair. So, while they're washing away new oil, you're washing away only the moisturizer that you put in just the day before.

If your shampoo is working for you, that's fine. Shampoos often have different qualities: some strip the hair, some condition, some don't do either. Which shampoo you should use depends on your hair type.

You may want to switch to conditioner only washes, and only use shampoo 2-3 times a week. Black hair doesn't need to be shampooed every day.

I used to wash every day only because I didn't know any better.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:13pm
I am natural...and the front reaches to my chin the sides a lil pass armpit length. Not sure about the back. But, none of my hair feels dry at all. I think that depends on each person's hair.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by MsMiamiLady MsMiamiLady wrote:

Shoulder Length Growth Challenge

There are a lot of you with gorgeous, hair near the midback or bra strap length, but is there anyone trying to make it to collarbone/shoulder length this year? 

Count Me In!!!

I was just grazing the shoulders, and I tried a new salon and had a tragic run-in with a scissor happy stylist...

I'm starting out at the base of my neck...going for shoulder length...and beyond! 

My Current regimen:

1. Pre-poo with Proclaim Natural 7 (combo of peanut, castor, canola, olive, wheatgerm, sesame and almond oils)
  2. Shampoo and cond: I'm trying Pantene Pro-V Restoratives Anti-Breakage 1X week
  3. Deepcond:  Crema By Terax, or Alfaparf semi di lino, or Humectress Every week
  4. After shampoo: WGO, then mix of Nexxus Headress, Rusk STR8 blowdry protector, and Rusk sheer brilliance serum (just a dab of each, mixed in my hands)
  5. Blowdry with Ionic dryer and ceramic flat iron w/ Beyond the zone heat proctector 1X week
  6. Daily moisturize ends with Pantene Restorative strengthening lotion and a smidge of shea butter
  7. Silk scarf every night, fanatically, even for naps!
  8. Nexxus Emergencee 1X month
  9. Boy, this is long!
  10. Relaxer touch up 8wks or more if I can...
  11. Hair type 4a? Relaxed.

P.S. I'm a bit of a PJ, trying to keep that under control...

Ms MiamiLady, where are you? I'm just North of West Palm , but go to Miami all the time...

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:45pm
I'll join this. I was feeling a little left out of hair growth challenges since I did the BC. My hair is 4 inches long right now. With cornrows going down the sides in the front my hair reaches to the bottom of my ears. The back reaches to the middle of my neck.

Regimen:
Shampoo - 1x week
CO - 1x or more a week
Deep Condition - every 2 wks probably more since i bought a deep conditioner.
Apply shealoe to scalp - every other day
Detangle - whenever I have conditioner in my hair in the shower.
Right now I have cornrows in, but when I have my hair loose I do these things more often. For my wash 'n' gos I use Fantasia IC gel.

My goal date is Dec 2006 for my bday.

Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
deexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 2:49pm

I'll join =) Right now i'm at the same place as layla only my hair is 5.5 inches.

Okies, I'm doing the Crown and Glory Regimen and basically I keep my hair braided and eat my veggies and protien. I also drink water. The products I use are Motions Conditioning Hair Spray, Castor oil mixed with coconut oil and I should be getting some Infusion 23 and African Royale Braid spray soon

Edited by deexox
Hair Type- 4a/b *transitioning front of my head*
Length-ranges from 5-7 inches =)
Products- Garnier Fructis S & S Poo, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Conditioner and Cantu-Leave in =)
tiajanice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiajanice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:30pm
bump
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:51am

Okay I have about 4 inches of hair with 3 inches in certain places(jagged mullet cut) I'm 4A Texlaxed 

My regimen is:

wash:
Creme Of Nature Regular Formula Shampoo 1x's/Week
KeraCare Dry Itchy Scalp Shampoo BiWeekly(Treats Scalp Condition)
Deep Condition w Motions CPR Conditioning Treatment 2x's/Week w/ processing cap 
Condition w/ KeraCare Humectant Conditoner 2x's/Week w/ processing cap
Spray on Motions Leave In Conditioner

Style: 
BlowDry Straight or Hooded Dry After wash using KeraCare Essential Oils (heat protectant)
Flat Iron Straight with Tigi Hardcore Iron 1x/Week using KeraCare Essential Oils(heat protectant) and, maybe KeraCare Creme Press (for slick results)    

Upkeep: 
Moisturize using ElastaQP Mango Butter, KeraCare Jojoba Oil Moisturizer, and KeraCare Essential Oils 2x's/day
Reconstruct with Creme Of Nature Reconstructing CO 1x/month
Clarify with Patene Purity Shampoo
Texturize with Relaxer(Optimum Pro Multi-Mineral) every 12 weeks(beginning to stretch for about another month)
Trim/Dust every 12 weeks

Style Choice: Bed Head, less manipulation! Clip up hair in the back for protection against snags on clothes.(Even though I have 4 inches it does catch to my clothes a lot)

Shoulders Watch Out!

Should I shorten this up and keep it basic?

Edited by PickledGeuse
BeautyWitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeautyWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 5:12pm

Thank Godc for MsMiamiLady! Like Layla said: I too felt so left out.

My current length is 5 inches, and I would like to reach "HEALTHY" collarbone by the end of this year. My hair is natural and I have been using the C&G Method since Jan. So far so good!

My regimen: When In Braids, extensions , etc

1) moisturize twice per day with braid spray mixed with Infusium leave-in

2) Oil scalp 3x per week with WGO

3) Take vitamins every day: Horsetail, Omega3- Fish Oils, Multi-Vitamin Multi-Mineral supplemant, Biotin

4) Keep up with a healthy vegetarian diet

5) Drink 8 glasses of water per day

6) Shampoo weekly

7) No heat

Out Of Braids:

Same except I Co-Wash 6 days per week and do alot of deep treatments.

When do we start?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMiamiLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2006 at 9:07pm
Everybody should start ne time they think they're ready. i've started about a week ago. once u know what you can do to help you reach your hair goal than u should go ahead and start A.S.A.P
PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 12:56pm
How are the first few weeks?  Does anybody have a suggestion for air drying hair without getting matted, and not cornrows or any braids? Also a good protective style that doesn't include braid outs and roller sets?
Muslimah_Sister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muslimah_Sister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 2:45pm

Im natural as well Im new to the goup too. Count me in to the challenge.I guess my routine will be this

Nopoo Conditon wash only(cause i dont shampoo)1xa week

Hot oil treatment right after that for about 30mins

Then after my hair drys natural comb it out and braid. Im going to start using the Crown a glory method so it will be the same No poo 1x a week and then hot oil treatment 30mins then braid. I will rebraid about 1x a month I will use organic roots products on my hair and a braid spray. I will basicly keep it simple

Massage my scalp and eat healthy eating my protein and veggies and last but not least cover my hair at night. Also im not using many products because it tends to bog the hair and weight it down. Keeping it simple is best(my motto

Drink plenty of water and limit stressHappy hair growing ladies

Also will never ever use chemicals again(thats a nono) Chemical  are bad for the hair(my opinion) Wont use heat except for hot oil treatment and thatwill be under my hooded blowdryer were it  circulates heat evenly

Edited by Muslimah_Sister
Natural
BeautyWitch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeautyWitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 3:32pm
Ok where did everyone go!!!! are we still on the challenge?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsMiamiLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 5:15pm
We could start today, April 12,2006 - Dec.12, 2006
some people started on their challenge n thats okay. everybody can report either daily/week/monthly how their hair is improving n stuff

May 12 -
June 12 -
July 12 -
August 12 -
Sept 12 -
Oct 12 -
Nov 12-
Dec 12-
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 10:17am
I guess count me in.  I have layers so I am trying to grow it out.
deexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 11:58am

UPDATE: I've decided to stop the crown and glory regimen...it's damaging my hair BADLY =( Instead, I'm just going to keep my hair clean so it can grow. I'm taking these braids out at the end of this month and start out healthy. I'm going to be trying some new products also:

• Cream of Nature Shampoo
  • Lustra Silk Shea Butter Conditioner 
  • Cantu Grow Strong Treatment
  • Organic Root STimulator Carrot Oil

I'll let yall know how it turns out =)

Hair Type- 4a/b *transitioning front of my head*
Length-ranges from 5-7 inches =)
Products- Garnier Fructis S & S Poo, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Conditioner and Cantu-Leave in =)
Sharon71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2006 at 7:46pm

Originally posted by MsMiamiLady MsMiamiLady wrote:

We could start today, April 12,2006 - Dec.12, 2006
some people started on their challenge n thats okay. everybody can report either daily/week/monthly how their hair is improving n stuff

May 12 -
June 12 -
July 12 -
August 12 -

Sept 12 -
Oct 12 -
Nov 12-
Dec 12-

Wow I missed the boat on this one but hey, i'd love to join the challenge  as sounds gr8 and will start today ( April 15th ). I normally keep my hair in cornrows (for low maintainance reasons) which keeps well for up to 3 weeks then i redo.

My regime will be:

1.Take conrows out every 2/3 weeks- Cleanse by:

2.  Co wash, clarify with Apple Cider Vinegar and water mix (No Poo decided today to give up).

3. Mineral Clay cleansing blend alternative to poo ( from Olayinkaorganics makes her own natural products).

4. Moisturise 3 x week with Olayinkaorganics Mango Love hair creame or Qhemet Biologics range (for thick textured hair) A dab of WGHO in between.

5. Spray  c.rows daily with Dove Leave in conditioner as keeps my hair and ends nice and soft without oily build up.

6. Increase water intake.

7. Multivitamin intake

8. Remain postive with a daily affirmation, say out loud " I love and embrace my hair "

ALL THE BEST WISHES TO EVERYONE DOING THE CHALLENGE X

Sharon71XxX
Natural 10 yrs,mostly 4b,past BSL length(at back)
Joined Shoulder length challenge 15th April 2006.
GOAL: Healthy,thicker shoulder/L unstreched for Dec 12/15th 06'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic