Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are conditioner cones?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
irishjoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishjoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are conditioner cones?
    Posted: May 28 2007 at 8:38am
Hi I am new here and spent a few hours reading through posts because I want to grow my hair long.

One question...what are conditioner cones? That term keeps poping up in various threads and I am curious.

Thanks! Smile
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 4:49pm
Hi Irishjoy, and welcome! Smile

The "-cones" referenced are silicones -- ingredients in conditioners that stick to your hair and make it appear shiny and make it feel soft.  The problem with them is that they also block out moisture, so, over time, the hair tends to get brittle and can result in abnormally high tangling and breakage.  Some here swear by them; some of these people use them continuously without adverse affect, others use a clarifying shampoo periodically to remove the silicone layer.  Generally (but not always), silicones tend to be especially bad for those with fine hair.

There was a discussion within this forum some time ago about ingredients that are disguised as silicones (for example, with names ending in "siloxane"), but I don't know offhand which thread it is.

irishjoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishjoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2007 at 10:24pm
thanks for the info!
disasterbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disasterbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 9:09pm
Will the ingredients actually say "silicone" on the label?
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2007 at 10:20am
no just andything that ends in cone, conol ( tho conol are generallly water soluble)  and xane
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic