Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boar Bristle Brushes...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JB521 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JB521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boar Bristle Brushes...
    Posted: July 14 2007 at 8:36am

I keep hearing that a natural Boar bristle brush is the most gentle on hair and is a "must have" in order to care for your hair....especially if trying to grow it.

I went to Ulta to look at their selection and all of them are too "soft" .....like I don't think it would even brush through my hair. I blow dry my hair 3X a week on low heat to style......I need a brush that will allow me to shape my hair and smooth it....

Any input on a good brush to use? And does anyone here with thick, long  hair use a Boar bristle brush?

Thanks!

babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2007 at 1:47pm
its great for straight hair i have curly and it does nothing but make it a nappy mess. But its good to help distribute oils in your hair, you dont have to use it as a styling brush more of a brush u can use before u go to bed just to massage the scalp and get the oils moving through your hair. Its still handy to have esp for you straight hairs.
Babycheeks
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2007 at 9:17pm
I've seen two different "varieties" of BBB's: those that have the bristles so densely packed that they don't go through anything, and those that more closely resemble any other brush, that have small tufts/sections of boar bristles, with plenty of space between the tufts, that allow the hair to actually be brushed.  I'd avoid the former.  I have one and consider it almost worthless.

And I will add that IMO, using any type of BBB is not necessary to grow your hair long.  What is most necessary to grow your hair long is gentle treatment.

SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2007 at 6:28pm
it depends what type of hair you have if its straight its real good for a scalp massage/stimulator for cur DON'T USE BRUSHES PERIOD only if your brushing it back into a pony / up do...... but yes bor bristles are very gentle
tani-lai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tani-lai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 10:54am

Even with straight hair, I can't use a boar bristle brush--my hair is just too thick, and it feels like only the top layer is being brushed.  I did actually find a brush I love, made by conair--possibly the best brush I have found to date, and I've been questing for a while!

31"!!
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 12:38pm
i find that a good comb and scalp massage wit fingers works just as well as fingers
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2007 at 2:25pm
I've kind of gone anti-brush in the past few years. I don't find a purpose for them because wooden combs (Combmaker.com) distribute oils very well, and brushes just tended to put on unnecessary friction as Dave said. (Hi Dave! Smile Great sig)

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic