Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hair treatment for guys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hair treatment for guys
    Posted: November 06 2004 at 7:11am
hi!!! im just a beginner here and would like to ask a question. im sorry im a beginner in caring for my hair but im interested in it. How do you take care of your hair?? this question is for guys. is it true that when you use water based gels your hair gets easily managed even without the gel on?
do you believe hot oil can make your hair straighter, look softer and at the same time make it look wonderful? i mean i dont like to relax my hair because it wont make it permanent. any suggestions? thanks for reading this!!
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2004 at 3:32pm
I'm not a guy.

Wait! Don't leave just yet!

...but my hair used to be as short as a guy's. Does that count?? I don't think gender matters when it comes to hair.

Back then, with a short cut, I was totally clueless about hair. I was using Pert Plus, and it was so harsh that it made the scalp greasier and greasier, and the hair stiffer and drier on the ends.

After doing mounds of research, here's my current haircare routine after a couple years of growth:
I do the whole CWC thing (condition-wash-condition).
(1) prewash oiling with coconut oil (maybe 1 cubic cm if you have short hair) (sometimes I replace the oil step with a V05 cheap conditioner)
(2) a gentle shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate, washing out the oil from the surface of the hair. What's absorbed into the hair shaft stays in.
(3) diluted apple cider vinegar rinse (weekly)
(4) Suave BioBasics conditioner (contains silicones)

It's not the gelling that helps the hair keep its "memory" but the combing and shaping process while wet. Hair has a great memory and it will do this even if just wet. Hair dries in the position it's in while it's wet (hence, when you part your hair in the same place, eventually it will part itself) That's just one example. And you're right to stay away from alcohol based gels because they are drying.

I don't do "hot" oil treatments per se, but just room temp ones (see #1). Oil treatments make most Asian hair shinier, less prone to tangling, and softer-feeling. Then again, it could be the Suave BioBasics or rainwater-rinses so it's hard to tell. Give it a go yourself.

HTH :)
Sorry I'm not a guy.

Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2004 at 9:48pm
thank you for replying.. nah im not particular with gender. im just seeking help here and any help is appreciated :)
ok, i dont knowif i should try hot oil anymore but i guess trying once is not bad right? what brand do you suggest?? loreal? or others?
with all of your 4 steps enumerated? what shampoo do you think have all this? waht conditioner do you use and how often do you use this?
thanks for reading this
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 12:26am
if you have the cash, invest in quality hair prouducts. if you are guy and you scringe on buying hair products directly targetted to women, you can use hair products made for men. American
Crew is a great brand for men, Redken, Schakwarpf and Loreal all make hair products especailly for men. Try it.
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 11:51am
Hi Verion :)

Claribuzz mentioned products "designed for guys"-- that's a really good point. Basically, they're products designed for short hair (funny the makers assume guys will have short hair). Ideally, "short-hair" products clean gently so that the scalp doesn't overcompensate with its oil production, and won't cause visible scalp breakouts (by not using pore-clogging conditioner ingredients like PVP or silicones).

L'Oreal VIVE for Men Shampoo (daily thickening) Or L'Oreal kids shampoos fits these criteria.

In case you still have to read ingredients... Things like PVP, CVP; things that end in "cone", "conol", or "siloxane", aren't necessarily desirable in a shampoo. Personally I think shorthairs should avoid them in conditioners too, because you can't avoid putting the conditioner on the scalp if you have short hair.

When using oils, the "hot" part can be just natural body heat. I use coconut oil (found in cooking section at Walmart, or at natural food stores. I use Spectrum Essentials coconut oil) Oils that they sell as "hot oil" treatments aren't exactly "oil". Here are the ingredients to the Alberto VO5 Hot Oil Hair Treatment, Moisturizing Formula with Vitamin E:

Water (Aqua), Cocotrimonium Chloride, Acetamide MEA, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEI-1500, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Polyquaternium-10, Octoxynol-9, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Thiamin Mononitrate, Ascorbic Acid, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein/Vegetable Amino Acids, /Lysine Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Phytantriol, Oleth-20, Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance (Parfum), Yellow 6 (CI 15985)

... well....

Except maybe Tocopheryl Acetate which is vitamin E ... I don't see oil, LOL.

Anais

P.S. I use V05 Tangerine Tickle and Suave BioBasics, but it won't necessarily work for your hair length and type.
my LJ, 40 inches long
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2004 at 10:50pm
thanks btw for replying. can i ask a question? this might sound stupid... do you think theres an easy way to have straight beautiful looking hair in just a month time? what do you think? do you think relaxing is actually good for the hair?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2004 at 9:16am
Relaxing makes hair permanently more brittle in the long run. So no, I normally don't support it.

Try it only if you don't have some big important occasion coming up (in case it's a disaster)

If relaxing is something you're willing to continue to do, relaxing gives straight and pretty results-- instant gratification. but it's like shaving legs, once you start you usually keep going. and it's very expensive over time.

I always talk gals out of chemical treatments, but since you're a guy I'm not stopping you (mainly because you have short spikeable hair that can grow back in not-quite-as-long time)

Good luck,
Anais
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2004 at 3:49pm
define beautiful hair?
does it mean your hair all nice and natural as in it behaves the way it supposed to be whether straight, curly or wavy
or...
beautiful hair you see in magazines??
if you want natural beautiful hair like Anais it will take a bit more than one month but at least it last long.
magazines hair just takes a couple of hours to do. blow dry here, flat iron there, hair products here, a frizz treatment there. voila beautifull hair
but it is very expensive and last until the next wash.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2004 at 3:52pm
[QUOTE=claribuzz] define beautiful hair?
does it mean your hair all nice and natural as in it behaves the way it supposed to be whether straight, curly or wavy
or...
beautiful hair you see in magazines??
if you want natural beautiful hair like Anais it will take a bit more than one month but at least it last long.
magazines hair just takes a couple of hours to do. blow dry here, flat iron there, hair products here, a frizz treatment there. voila beautifull hair
but it is very expensive and last until the next wash.

P.S
relaxing is not good for the hair technically because it damages it BUT!!!! if you take care of it, you will lessen the damage. if it makes you happy to have board straight hair, go for it
ARGHH
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 7:43am
so you mean if i do try to relax then my hair will get damaged easier. but then you said i need to take care of it, if i do try it what should i do so my hair wont be damaged? what do you mean?

well my definition of beautiful hair is somethnig that is soft, shiny, manageable, and something to which i can try different hairstyles on...i dont know what anais look like at all...

thanks for helping me. thanks!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 10:41am
Hey Claribuzz, thanks for your compliment... it means a lot to me, esp. because I've had a really rough past couple days.

Hugs,
Anais
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 4:10pm
moisture
a good and healthy hair is all about moisture. if your hair can retain its moisture its healthy. if you had your hair relaxed you need to double up on the conditioning products to get the moisuture back. high quality salon products work the best but if you are on a budget ( where i come from, a bottle of those high quality conditioner equals to 5 days worth of meal here ) just use your regular cheap drugstore conditioner and use it a hair stlying product. just apply on wet hair and comb or style it with had although combing is the best choice. It not only acts as an intensive treatment ( you leave on all day ) its a great way if you are into the wet hair look.

P.S hey anais, i'm all cool with you. we are so different in our hair philopsophy ( you = natural beauty, me = man made beauty ) but what we both agree is how to make hair look and feel good to ourselves
ARGHH
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2004 at 10:37pm
what redken products would you suggest for me? or mayeb you prefer loreal? what can you suggest? i have a hair that reached the top shoulders, kinda dryish hair, hard to manage. definitely cant feel any moisture on it the color is not even pure black.. kinda dried black.... well, money is not a probelm for me actually ;)

im not sure do you think its ok to try woman's shampoo to a guys hair??

thank you for helping me and replying to my every stupid questions. ty!!
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by verion verion wrote:

what redken products would you suggest for me? or mayeb you prefer loreal? what can you suggest? i have a hair that reached the top shoulders, kinda dryish hair, hard to manage. definitely cant feel any moisture on it the color is not even pure black.. kinda dried black.... well, money is not a probelm for me actually ;)

im not sure do you think its ok to try woman's shampoo to a guys hair??

thank you for helping me and replying to my every stupid questions. ty!!

there is nothing wrong with using womens shampoo. most of the us guys probably use the womens shampoo before we knew anything about styling and caring for hair. Its just than feeling of belonging when we use a mens shampoo. Something that attracts us. I love a good packaging in a product and you can see that mens shampoo is different in terms of packaging and styling.
Ok since you feel like your hair is lacking moisture try Redken for men Aquafy. Its made for dry hair. Then finished up with Finish Up conditioner.
Loreal has a line for men, but only to thicken and nourished thinning hair.
Sckwarphf I( i forgot how its spelled )has a great line for men called bonacure or somthing
Try to read up on American Crew. They makes excellent product for men covering from hair to toe
ARGHH
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2004 at 5:30pm
definitely wont try loreal since it will make my hair thicken when in fact i would like to have soft or kinda thin hair.... i dont even know the difference between soft and thin hair.. :)

sadly though american crew is not available here in our place... about bonacure... ill try to find out more... i like redken's package, the black type of cover.

do i apply both of this redken products while taking a bath or apply the conditioner after taking a bath?

thanks for helping me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2004 at 8:23pm
This is a really weird method but it works for me. I do the whole hair deal before turning on the shower. Basically I just stand in the shower and pour water using a giant plastic cup--for shampooing, vinegar rinse, etc... Then I apply conditioner and when I have a whole mess of conditioner in my hair, I make a bun and let it "penetrate" while I do the rest of my showerly duties. Then I rinse everything-- hair and body-- at the very end before leaving the shower.

Kinda time consuming but I only wash my hair once a week now anyways, LOL

Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2004 at 11:09am
im one sad person.... redken and american crew are not available here.... :( do you think citre will be ok to try? or do you think it wont be effective?
thanks for replying to my questions :)
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2004 at 6:05am
do you think its safe to try citre as conditioner? or do you have any better product to recommend? :) i mean finesse also didnt work for me... :( know im becoming irritating to all of you.. and i would like to say sorry. thanks!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2004 at 10:31am
Only you can find out if Citre conditioner is good for your hair. I wouldn't use the shampoo though, it's too harsh.

Anais
verion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2004 at 8:08am
ok i wont try citre because you mentioned its too harsh for my hair... now what shampoo could i use since redken and american navy is not available here... hmm... thanks for helping me!!!
btw when you say harsh what bad thing could happen to my hair? do you think using hair polisher is good for hair?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic