Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much conditioning?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much conditioning?
    Posted: February 06 2005 at 4:18pm
I go 5-7 days between washes and endeavor to use the diluted vinegar rinse every time (I don't always remember to prep the rinse, but my hair always seems to like the effect -- in other words, the diluted vinegar rinse cannot be overused). In addition to the cool/cold water rinse, I think the acidic base of the diluted vinegar rinse helps to close the cuticles, making the hair softer, shinier and easier to comb & detangle. Plus, the diluted-vinegar has the added benefit of helping to retard the growth of bacteria that attacks the sebum.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:45pm
And also go to my articles link below and read each article I have called General Information
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:20pm
If you click on my siggy page, and go to the Cleansing Methods page in Medusa's Lair, there are photos of the cuticle scales. They're like shingles on your roof. Cold rinses or acidic rinses will make the scales close up.

When they're open, they are like burrs... catching on each other, on clothing, etc... and definitely increasing tangling. The more open the scales are on an everyday basis, the more likely the scales are to break off... which exposes the inner shaft. It's the biggest reason we always finish with an acidic or cold rinse after a hairwash. It "sets" the hair cuticle like the Batmobile security system.

HTH
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 10:08pm
Thanks anais and purplebubba.
I think I'm getting a better idea of what my hair specifically needs.
But purplebubba, you often mention cold rinses for the hair cuticle and opening the hair cutical with heat but I don't understand what the cuticle has to do with anything??
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 3:32pm
I agree that it doesn't penetrate unless it's made for it. Not sure if regular ones are?

But that's why I use the bag / cap. Heat opens the cuticle so by using the bag I'm keeping my body heat from escaping. I don't know if this actually is hot enough to open the cuticles but it's what I do.

What I do know is that when I take that bag off after 20 minutes my hair feels like it absorbed the conditioner. In other words my hair is not as slimey with conditioner as it was before I put the bag on.

Again, try things yourself and see what you like. There is no one way to do things with hair.

If you want to wash your hair with Grape Jelly by all means do it. Keep in mind that someone else might have already tried it but maybe their jar said Jam? So you might not get their results.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 3:00pm
Depends on your routine.. sounds like you're doing the CWC, right? I've tried most routines (WC, WCC, CWC, and recently switched to Conditioner Only).

Sometimes it's simply practical to keep the final conditioner in the hair for a long time...while you attend to other showerly duties, then rinse everything out at the very end. I C/O, and I don't let the conditioner "sit" very long. It doesn't make a difference if I do, but maybe your hair type will like it. As PB said, the trick is to keep track and take lots of notes. Start a hair blog if you need to.

(What I do see a time difference is in the ACV rinse: dunking/soaking vs. rinsing. The vinegar dunk/soak leaves hair softer and more clarified than just the rinse)

Conditioner doesn't actually penetrate the hair shaft, so I don't see how letting it "sit" will help any. Just my 2 cents.

Anais

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2005 at 11:52am
And I do this with my normal, every day conditionar?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 10:44pm
As far as leaving them in for CO washing, someone said that after 20 minutes it won't soak any further into the hair if it is soaking in.

When I started out I was doing 10 minutes, although I was actually counting the songs on the radio. At times they would have the commercial break so it got hard to estimate. So I started using a watch and eventually I stretched out to 20 minutes.

I know some people leave conditioners in overnight. But I don't think you need to do that.

So I'd say stick with 20 minutes or less. If it's longer, no big deal. Just know that it's probably not doing anything after that.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 8:15pm
I would look at the label instructions for guidance. If it does not say to leave it in for a few minutes, then there's no point. If it recommends leaving it in, try it and see if it helps.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 7:49pm
Thanks bubba. Is there a "minimum" time you should leave the conditionar in? I know it differs but I left mine in for about half an hour and it doesnt feel much different.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2005 at 12:51am
Its ok to use one as often as your hair needs it.

If you are using one with silicones in it then you just need to clarify once in awhile to get a fresh start. Such as the vinegar.
Get used to touching your hair. Maybe take notes.

example:

Day 2 - day after such and such type wash - hair still feels clean.

Day 3 - used leave in but hair feels ok still.

Day 4 - used leave in starting to feel slick.

If you wash every other day you might not get to the slick feel? Depends what you use.

Just remember, no matter what any of us say, it's up to you to do the experiments with your hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 10:49pm
Yes, CSC is Condition Shampoo Condition.
I only use shampoo on my scalp.
How often is it ok to do a leave in conditionar. As you said, too much on your hair is bad and I wanted to try the leave in conditionar some time soon but I don't want it to be too harsh on my hair, after the vinegar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 6:27pm
every other day is good. Most recommend shampoo no more often than that.

If that works for you then I'd say stick with it unless you want to try less often.

CSC I assume is Condition Shampoo Condition and the same as CWC / Con Wash Con?

You only put the shampoo on your scalp right?

I'd say try doing what you're doing now and do vinegar once a week or once every 2 weeks.

I mean see if that works for you.
Play around and experiment. Just try not to do too much at one time.

I've seen people doing so much in one day to their hair it was like they were living in the shower and couldn't figure out why their hair was still messed up.

Hair is like a cranky child if you don't let it sleep.

So take baby steps, and see what works.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2005 at 5:54pm
How much is too much when it comes to shampooing? I do my CSC routine every other day.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:13pm
Because the point is to remove build up and not to strip your hair every day.

Or at least that's what I think.

Too much is like shampooing every day. It's just too much washing and not enough oiling or conditioning.

If you want to do it once a week that might be ok but try not to do more than that. At least not until you get a routine going and know for sure that vinegar works for you. Some things end up not working after a while.

I don't remember the exact reasons but I don't think it's good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 9:56pm
Why can't you do this very often? You'd think you'd need to!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 8:02pm
I've tried both.
Some like the apple cider better cuz it doesn't smell as bad for them. But my first ever was with White. Then I bought some ACV.
I did 1 white rinse and 2 apple

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:54pm
Now that I think about it, I hope I used the right kind because it was 'Apple Cider Vinegar' lol!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 7:21pm
cool, glad it worked ok.

was it Apple or regular / white vinegar?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 6:25pm
Just tried the vinegar thing, and it worked! No irretation. thanx purplebubba
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic