Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How much do I tip???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do I tip???
    Posted: August 12 2005 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by MERGUTHRIE MERGUTHRIE wrote:

not to knock calikristin (her work looks great), last time i looked she had mostly straight...

You've never spent time in the beach communities in Southern California, have ya?
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 2:19pm

not to knock calikristin (her work looks great), last time i looked she had mostly straight and i am more of a wavy hair girl.

i am more a boogiemama.com or angelemma.com browser for inspiration. I am east coast usa and of course one is in Washington state and the other in the UK. not. a chance. in hell. (also both use synth hair which i love)

i tip as much as i can afford at the time.

i love plastikhaar
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 1:00am
It makes perfect sense to fly out there- airfare these days is like $200 round-trip, so even if there's no one in your area, you can fly out to New York or LA or Chicago and spend all that money that a GL stylist would charge (by marking up the cost, not for installation) on a mini-vacation!

And as far as the GL debate goes- I don't like fusion myself, but even if I did, I wouldn't go to GL. There are so many unaffiliated fusion artists that do just as good work and charge way less because they don't have a company telling them "buy the hair for $300 and mark it up to $600!"

-Rae
Julzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 8:07pm

LOL...   I did all the reasearch & stuff on how much it will cost me... her extensions run from like 5- 600 dollars....(I found this on her website) & Im going to pay for my friend to go with me... so for 2 tickets and 2 nights in a hotel...(and the extensions of course) its like alittle over 1500... LOL  and the great lengths are 2000 plus of course the tip...

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 6:08pm
The question is not how long hers will last but how long you should wear them before reinstalling them. Each client is diferent, some with baby fine hair matting is an isue so they should be reset sometimes in a month. Fast growing clients may allso need it by 2 months because it just has grown out so far. And then there are the princess! I call some of my clients who go three months with out a mat or getting them stuck in a brush that because they are the ones who take such good care of ther hair like little a princess. I swear they must sleep sitting up! She dose fusion and with proper care that stuff will stay in for quite some time but that dosent meen you leave them in till they fall out LOL
CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 5:47pm

WOOHOO

Great Choice!  Posts the pics!  And HAVE FUN!!!

Julzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 5:47pm

Does anyone know how long Kristens hair extensions last??

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 5:32pm
Vaction and extensions for the same price! Sounds like a winner kristens work looks very nice. I think Metal girl is also in Calif.Check her site too.
Julzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:39pm
Okay... LOL this is funny but I have been looking thru kristens website & I LOVE it wow.. so pretty- Im almost thinking about flying me and a girlfriend there... just to see if i like it.. its cheap... I could fly me and my friend there for cheaper then the great lengths.... how rediculous lol.... Oh well I will contact Kristen & find out details! I do know that I would much rather have her do my hair just because of all the fun colors she has!! ;)
elvira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elvira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:30pm

I had GL done in MA and paid $800 for 1/2 my head. If it wasn't for GL I wouldn't have found this board! So I'm grateful to them for that. I liked the method and it worked well for me. I have very thin fine slippery hair and they weren't even sure if they would stay in my head! I would not pay that much again though. EVER!  I have been getting hair extensions of various kinds for around 20 years give or take (wig,hair system,cornrow,glue etc) I'd even try gum if it stayed and was easy to remove.

Thanks to everyone on this board I have learned so much. The best thing I learned that each different method is good for some people and bad for others. Choices are great as Charlene mentioned.

Another thing that I learned is research,research,research! Who knows, mabey someone on this board lives near you and can help you out.

Good luck and keep reading!

CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Julzz Julzz wrote:

Im just torn.. lol I have no idea what I should do I really want to get the great lengths because alot of the girls at the salon have them & they look great

This is what you should do-

Get a sample strand of GL, and a strand of Kristen, and a strand of this, and a strand of that B4 JUMPING IN!  Then you can play with them for whatever length of time you need!!!

Ya know what I mean???

CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by metalgirl metalgirl wrote:

I don't like any extension company that dictates what I should be charging my clients.

By the way, does that $7-14 include hair and install fee, or is it for hair only?

EVERYTHING-  Gift of hair care products and post care included

CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:08pm

For me, 1 month is enough, but that's me.

I've gotten clients, who yes, have left their extensions on forever.   I recommend keeping any extensions in for 8 weeks- the most 12 weeks.  Although, I never force a person to remove their extensions- just like I never force them on which method they should get for their hair.

So Julzz, I'm sooooo curious, after all this, which method are you going to put in your hair?

Metalgirl {Lisa} who is really great .  She's very helpful too!  Btw- Shrink Links are come in Indian too.

GL procedures vary from stylist to stylist.  NOT ALL STYLISTS ARE CREATED WITH EQUAL TALENTS.  I'm convince that those horror stories are either:

A- the person's maintenance AND/OR B- the sylist's install.

Julzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 4:05pm

Im just torn.. lol I have no idea what I should do I really want to get the great lengths because alot of the girls at the salon have them & they look great.. but, I understand you having attitude about it MetalGirl.... it is pretty expensive & I've read alot of horror stories...

I looked at CaliforniaKristens website OMG I LOVE her before & afters... & shes pretty cheap... has anyone had their hair done by her???  I just dont want to fly to Cali... who knows though...

marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:53pm
I have to say I dont get the whole touch up thing . All the strands grow out at the same time where the sides may need redoing sooner because the hair is finer there they all will need redone well before 6 months. I would rather charge less and have them come when they really need to and redo the whole set then allways have some that have been in to long.I can't stand when they grown out one inch let alone 3.
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:51pm

I don't like any extension company that dictates what I should be charging my clients.

By the way, does that $7-14 include hair and install fee, or is it for hair only?

CyberMane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyberMane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Julzz Julzz wrote:

What is your price range for great lengths if i can ask?

$7 to $14 per strand in order to keep my account with them open.

metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:45pm

The Great Lengths people lie to you and tell you that you can keep the extensions in for 6 months so you can justify paying them so much.  Due to the shedding of your natural hair, and also that the farther away from the head the extensions are the more likely they will tangle at the root, you should not keep extensions in for more than 12 weeks without taking them all out, removing all the shed hair or potential tangles,  and putting them back at the root area.

By the way, did they tell you you can't reuse the hair?  You pay a lot of money for it and must throw it away after 3 months.  There's many other extension method out there where you can reuse the hair.

If it sounds like I have an attitude toward Great Lengths, sorry, but I do!  Great Lengths trains their people to lie and swindle uneducated clients out of a lot of money!

I don't believe that 'you get what you pay for' crap.  I am a very good extensionist servicing many clients over the years, and I charge between $300-1200 for extensions, and that includes the hair.  I'm not getting rich or anything, but if I go home with $400-500 at the end of my day I'm happy! 

Charlene (Cybermane) , you know I have much love and respect for you girl!  I think in New York City people are willing to pay more for extensions.  I definitely would not get those prices in Shingle Springs, CA! 

Edited by metalgirl
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:36pm

fusion extensions should never stay in 6 months.Thats just crazy.I think its cool if you want to get them,but I wouldnt feel right not giving you these links first.Many people have had horror stories with great lengths.I realize that great lengths can be done right.But there are too many stylists out there who are ruining people's hair.

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30660 &KW=great+lengths

this one below is a common marketing scheme:

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28710 &KW=great+lengths

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19458 &KW=great+lengths

I am not trying to scare you.I just thought you should be aware of what can go wrong.Good luck

Edited by Longhairdreams
Julzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Julzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2005 at 3:27pm

Oh WOW! that is awful Im so sorry to hear that.

What is your price range for great lengths if i can ask?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic