Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair today vs. hair back then

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SugarCube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SugarCube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair today vs. hair back then
    Posted: July 24 2006 at 9:04pm
i think in the before 1900s, people usually had much longer hair but wore it contained alot
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2006 at 6:03pm
No need for apology, Lisa.  That just makes the question open-ended to mean "whenever 'back then' was."  Popular hairstyles and lengths have always changed (even though the pace of change is sometimes slow).

I do think that people (in general) are wearing longer hair now, as compared with 5-8 years ago.  It may also depend on where you are in the country and in the world.  I think that rhpetunia gives a pretty accurate summary.
Lisa9232 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa9232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2006 at 8:55pm

Sry.

Edited by Lisa9232 - July 16 2006 at 8:58pm
Without God all things are impossible!But with God all things are possible! ~~~Lisa9232~~~
anne6000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anne6000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:14pm
Could you please define back then?  I agree with rhpetunia that the time period makes a difference in the answer.

Also, I think the opportunity for the healthiest hair is today because of our knowledge and availability of products and services.  However, that doesn't mean that all long hair takes advantage of these opportunities!

Edited by anne6000 - July 15 2006 at 9:17pm
rhpetunia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhpetunia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 9:01pm
I think long hair might be more popular than in the 80's or the 50's-60's, but less popular than in the 60's-70's, and much less popular than the 40's or before. 

I think that the only time in recent history more men have had long hair was in the 60's-70's, but before.  I would guess that men's hair, generally speaking, has been longer in the past 40 years than it had been in the previous 100 years, but I am not an expert of hair norms in history.

I believe that hair, generally speaking, is the least healthy that it's been in all of recorded history.  It is a rarity, I find, to see long, healthy hair these days!  You might see BSL hair that isn't fried, but try to find nice, healthy waist length hair on an adult.  It happens, as we know from Hair Talk Long Hair Support and other long hair websites, but I do not see it  very often in my daily travels.  As I understand it, if this was the 1800's, almost every woman you see would have healthy long hair.
2b/F/ii
horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2006 at 6:11pm
So, would ya'll say long hair is more popular today than it was back then?
Also, is it more common for men to have long hair now than it was back then? Let me know what ya think.
And, would you say hair is more healthy today than it was back then? I know we have a whole lot more products and equipment now, but I just thought I'd see what your different views were. I'd be pretty interested to hear your replies.
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic