Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some S&D Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some S&D Tips
    Posted: March 12 2007 at 5:16pm
Tongue i agree.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by lola32 lola32 wrote:

astarte i agree with you it does become an addiction. I have the bad habit of doing it while im at work. When I notice split ends on people I always get the urge to get a pair of scissors and and trim them . weird i know.

Yah, there are some urges we just don't give in to... Wink
lola32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lola32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2007 at 8:41pm
 astarte i agree with you it does become an addiction. I have the bad habit of doing it while im at work. When I notice split ends on people I always get the urge to get a pair of scissors and and trim them . weird i know.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 6:27pm
Well Kitty, I didn't know what to add to this topic (that hasn't already been answered).

Natural sunlight (early morning or late afternoon) works best for me.  I always position the scissor tips so that I only trim the one offending end I've got my eye on.  Also, I don't twist a section -- I just hold up a loose bunch of it, as Susan described.

HTH!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2007 at 10:33am
Ooooh, Dave Decker, looks like you were answering some threads today??? Anyway, I was really hoping you'd weigh in on this issueTongue

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2007 at 11:14am
Great tips, all!!! Thank you so much.

I am slowly but surely eliminating my splits Star
Astarte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astarte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 8:30pm
I just wanted to second the natural lighting, and add two more options that I have found very successful:

1) Computer screen (open on a blank page) for background; and
2) fluorescent lighting at school. 

You can see how I get easily distracted when bored...(it becomes an addiction, I almost /want/ to find a split end just so I can destroy it).

edit: be careful about that first option actually, you could hurt your eyes. 

Edited by Astarte - February 15 2007 at 8:32pm
HaleyCake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaleyCake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 10:21am
I think it is great that you have decided to forego the beautician and take matters into your own hands. When I grew my hair out to my waist a year+ ago, S&D was the method I used. Until I did this, I didn't realize my hair grew an inch a month- I had been going to hairdressers every eight weeks, and a "one inch" trim was always 2 inches or more. I am sure you will see some amazing growth if you decide that S&D will work for you. I always enjoyed doing it while sitting down watching TV. That way, you have something to do during commercial breaks! Good luck on your hair journey! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:29am
Great advice, Susan and Hairbraider - thanks a lot. Thumbs%20Up I'm going to give it a go this weekend. Now that my hair is almost armpit length, I am starting to see a lot of splits......
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 7:12am
I don't really do the twisting method either because I feel it can hide some of the splits.  I just hold some hair out when I'm in good light (sun works best for me, though I imagine that can vary with different hair colors - I also hold it over a dark background).  I do a section of hair, then either clip it up when its done, or move it out of the way.  I check as far up the hair that I can see so I can cut the high up ones (but be careful not to overdo it, only cut things that are truly split, or you could wind up with a halo of short hairs.)
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 11:15pm
I believe generally one would take a small section (about 1 inch)  of hair and twist it, some of the ends will stick out, snip off the ones that are split.  Cut straight across.  Natural light and a dark background.

My own hair has sooo many splits that this method doesn't get near all of them.  So instead of twisting, I curl the piece of hair around my finger so more ends are visible.  I only dusted my hair thoroughly one time - it took over 4 hours.  Since then, I just go over the worst sections from time to time.
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 6:07pm
I finally purchased some very sharp special scissors specifically for cutting my hair. But my hair grows VERY slowly, so I've pledged to only do S&D (search and destroy to remove split ends). I need some hints and tips for how to do this, though. What is the best lighting to see the splits? Is it best to cut straight across or on a diagonal? Do you isolate sections of hair in specific way? How do you find splits that are farther up the hair shaft?

I always assumed this would be self-explanatory, but when I sat down to do it I was sort of stumped!

Thanks!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic