Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If blondes are dumb, are peroxides dumber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LondonGhost View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If blondes are dumb, are peroxides dumber?
    Posted: April 26 2002 at 3:10am
Well, scientifically speaking, blondes get more attention because the eye is naturally drawn to the light reflected off blonde hair. However, most of the guys I know seem to prefer dark hair and dark eyes. (And that includes my own boyfriend, the traitor!!!)
As for blondism in the workplace - I did read once that there has been research into hair colour and salary. Blondes, on average, are paid less than brunettes and are less likely to be promoted. Whether that is natural or peroxide, I don`t know.

The `70s was the decade of sexual equality

The `90s was the decade of racial equality

Let`s make the 00s the decade of hair equality!
RB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2002 at 3:53am
i have med. brown hair & i bleached it blonde.well,unlike other ppl`s experiences mine was different.sure,guys noticed me but not differently,just like the way i had brown hair.,it wasnt like thy went crazy or anything,it went fine w/ my complexion 2.anyway,now i have black hair,& i get noticed MUCH MORE than b4.it probably looks better on me or s/thing,again,it attracts MUCH MORE(on me,that is)
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2002 at 10:21am
I recall at least 2 surveys, one in a teen magazine, that suggest that more guys "prefer" brunettes
than blondes. I myself like blonde hair very much but, find that almost all colors can be attractive.
Catherine Zeta Jones and Tessie Santiago have gorgeous dark brown/black hair, for example. The
survey in the teen magazine, if I recall right, shows large proportions of guys liking various colors, so by
dyeing your hair, you may be missing a great opportunity for a date with someone who likes the natural
you. :) I think the natural color is also best because it goes with skin tone - I hate seeing bleach blondes
with dark eyes. The natural color of a girl`s hair is something unimportant to me - and me a "hair" person.
I notice hair texture, length and style, but whether it`s brown, blonde, red or black is just "icing on the
cake" for me.
r.b View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2002 at 1:35pm
ok,i have med. brown hair,& i dyed it blonde.the colour went fine w/ my complexion & all,but guys werent excactly drooling or anything.now,my hair`s black,& in a way,guys r kind of drooling!maybe it looks better on me,all i know is that it attracts MUCH MORE attention.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2001 at 4:17pm
Reply to message: 10.3309.1
Yesterday I saw Shirley Manson, lead singer of the band Garbage, being interviewed on TV. She has recently dyed her hair blonde (and cut into a fetching mohawk, see pic). She openly revealed that "I get served quicker in bars" and "People think my IQ is dropping at alarming rates" So, blondism is still alive and well - at living, it seems, still, at least in the UK.
phil
lgp82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgp82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2001 at 5:30pm
Reply to message: 10.3289.1
Actually, I did an informal study on this. I firmly believe that blondes to get more attention. When I was blonde guys would check me out all the time, when I had brown hair I got a few random looks, when I had red hair I got more looks than with the brown hair but far less than blonde.
However, I think it comes down to how you present yourself. I am confident, gorgeous and intelligent and I know it and I think that comes across in the personality.
The reason why men probably look at blondes is because they have brighter hair and it creates more attention. Just a thought.
~*~*Lisa*~*~
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2001 at 7:57pm
Reply to message: 10.3288.1
Duke you bring up a good point. I really don`t understand why some people really enjoy this multi color hair thing all at once. YOu know the top is one color, the side another color and the underneath a third color. Never understood that attraction.
dianefromcanada
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2001 at 4:17pm
Reply to message: 10.3273.1
Without endorsing the word "bimbo", yes, I`d aggree with that. Not that I`d actually judge a woman
as stupid coz she goes blonde, but I respect it when people accept their natural color, and don`t
take the narrow-minded view that you`re unattractive if your head isn`t blonde or splattered with
highlights. Also, guys who are so shallow that they`d automatically prefer a bleached blonde to
a natural person with another color are perhaps the type you`d attract if you`re a fake blonde!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2001 at 3:19pm
OK relax. Of course blondes aren`t dumb. There can be no correlation between hair pigment and IQ and it would be spurious to suggest so. But if a person were to dye their hair... could that be another story? Let me tell you what happened to my friend Tracey recently.
She is an intelligent single woman of 28 with shoulder-length brownish hair. She tried extensions but they didn`t work so took instead to dyeing it blonde. The change, she said, was almost immediate.
In nightclubs, she found more guys chatting to her than ever before. The trouble was, they tended to be the less-than-bright variety and their conversation was universally dull. She said that at work she found herself included in superficial chat about things like soap operas even when people knew she didn`t watch most of them. She said her boss appeared more patronising and didn`t take her as seriously as before, and the same applied to her family.
Now, my point is, I think most of that was in her head, and that it was mainly an element of self-fulfilling prophecy.

So my question is this:

If a woman like her dyes her hair blonde, half expecting to be taken for a bimbo, is she not, as it were, dumbing herself down for easier `consumption`? Of course they`ll say they are doing it because they like the look, and that blondes, like Rod Stewart said, have more fun.
But I sometimes wonder if, consciously or otherwise, they do so well aware of the ramifications.
phil
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic