Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does age matter with long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: does age matter with long hair?
    Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:38pm
I'm taking a class at the local university. There are 13 students in the class. I think two of the women are short/gray, A couple with natural hair. All the rest have streaky highlights.

Two sitting next to each other got their hair flat-razored with platinum, ash blond, ash brown, and weird red highlights. It doesn't look good on either of them.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 4:18pm
I kind of agree about the teenager/cut/long hair thing enfys. Although most people just ask me how long did it take for your hair to grow that long, I've had people tell me to get layers and shorten it a bit and that I would look better with short hair. Also, all the fashion addicts in our school have identikit shoulder length choppy layers so I kind of stand out a bit with long, basically unstyled hair. 
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 1:21pm
Long hair takes time to grow, so if any vision should be made, it's the opposite.

I'm always given about 23 for an age. (I'm 19). Then again, it isn't to bypass carding checks, since it's only 18 here anyways :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

As for men, I think there isn't an age limit for long hair, but there is a hairline limit. When the hair line has receded really far, long hair just doesn't look good. I'll bet Dave will disagree with me, but there's my opinion.

Hi Rod,

I don't disagree. How much did we make that bet for? I see a windfall on the horizon. Or was that merely for $1? (shades of "Trading Places")

Otherwise I generally agree with what you've said in your message, too. Whatever the person likes and wants, they should feel free to pursue without the burden of externally-applied pressures.

And enfys -- Teenagers look like teenagers, with long hair or short. That is quite a strange mindset among the teenagers in your area. I don't know if its prevalent here in the U.S., if so, it's just flawed.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 11:19am
Has everyone forgotten the other arguement? Lomg hair on a teenager makes them look like a little kid? So they cut it? And leave school then grow it? I haven't given in to this pressure, and won't.

Or is this just a Welsh thing?
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 8:50am
Rod : I find some of the comment flawed. Long hair is not defined by the lifespan of your hairline, but if it is 2 bits short of a mullet, then it is ugly :P

Search for Jim Corcoran....fugly.
If I go out (I doubt, genetics so far are generous in that area) I'll go out with style :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 9:28pm
Age can matter with hair length. Some women don't look as good with long hair as they get older, but then some women don't look as good with short hair either. Some women look like they are desperately trying to hold on to youth, while others look, well, hot, hot, hot.

There should be no rule with women. The question should be, "Do I still look good with long hair?"

Interestingly, I can think of three friends who have had long hair as long as I've known them who've said they'd love to have short hair, but are afraid to commit. Each has said they'll cut it when they hit 30, 35, or 40. They want to see themselves with short hair, just not right now. I don't think hitting a certain birthday should be the reason to try out a different hairstyle. I'm sure they'd each look good with long hair at 40, just as they would with short hair now.

As for men, I think there isn't an age limit for long hair, but there is a hairline limit. When the hair line has receded really far, long hair just doesn't look good. I'll bet Dave will disagree with me, but there's my opinion.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 8:36pm
StyleGuy,

Perhaps you misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that that long-haired women believe the myth. I'm saying that they hear it spoken to them by others.

Originally posted by StyleGuy StyleGuy wrote:

Ironically, I believe that by giving the myth as much credence as you do, you do end up supporting their 'destructive expression'.

Again, perhaps you misunderstand my point...? I'm not saying that there is even a shred of truth to the myth, I'm merely stating that it seems to be widely-held among the population at large.

Although I will add that I believe the myth is beginning to fade...

It's a little like the lone cop, uncovered in the bad guys hideout. In desperation, he tries to convince the bad guys that there are legions of cops outside, just waiting to pounce. To the extent that he can convince the bad guys that they are surrounded, he may actually succeed in having the bad guys surrender their position.

It's a bit of a Straw Dog.

No, I don't believe that. I don't believe any of the women here is going to change their minds about having long hair because of this discussion. (laughs)

In my opinion, if your aim is to encourage women (or, indeed, men too) who want to keep their hair long, you'll focus on the positive support from this community, rather than the negative and inconsequential opinions of those that just don't matter.

One discussion on the topic does not constitute a "focus" on the issue. Offering suggestions on how to deal with receipt of such comments, if and when they come, does constitute helpful support. Taking a moment to think about it and prepare for it is not necessarily a bad thing.
StyleGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StyleGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by <br>Dave Decker
Dave Decker wrote:

I don't understand how you can say that the myth isn't widely propagated and firmly-held. Have you read what others have written here (both before and after your post)? Have you talked with long-haired women about this topic? I have talked to many. Almost every one of them has been told (at least once if not more) by family, friend, aquaintance or stranger alike that they should cut their hair "when they turn 30/40/before-you-get-old". These unsolicited and critical messages would to them seem to be their hair-related, social pet peeve number one.

If you don't want to believe me, how about these words from two of several very articulate long-haired people in this thread;

WUVIE originally said;

I've said many times and I'll say it many more with regard to hair and age. It's similar to choosing the color towels in your bathroom. Who has such a lack of life to be concerned about other people's choices, so long as they don't affect anyone else?

It's really rather silly to me, but then again, I'm not
a social butterfly, either. I'm sure if I belonged to clubs and other cliquey organizations who lived
for gossip, rumors and fashion, I'd give a hoot what others thought. But I don't.

It doesn't seem to me that WUVIE is overly concerned, nor does it seem to be her pet peeve.

How about this one from PurpleBubba;

Quote pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. No one knows who made that rule so why should it even be considered?

Doesn't feel like a pet peeve there.

Quote Dave Decker originally wrote;

They don't matter to me. But I don't believe in supporting their destructive expression of their issues.

Ironically, I believe that by giving the myth as much credence as you do, you do end up supporting their 'destructive expression'.

It's a little like the lone cop, uncovered in the bad guys hideout. In desperation, he tries to convince the bad guys that there are legions of cops outside, just waiting to pounce. To the extent that he can convince the bad guys that they are surrounded, he may actually succeed in having the bad guys surrender their position.

It's a bit of a Straw Dog.

In my opinion, if your aim is to encourage women (or, indeed, men too) who want to keep their hair long, you'll focus on the positive support from this community, rather than the negative and inconsequential opinions
of those that just don't matter.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 4:16am
I haven't seen too many poodle perms around, Karen Marie. Is it maybe the "thing" in your area?

My mother's stylist parroted the advice about cutting hair when you're older, StyleGuy, and some previous stylists of hers may have done the same thing. I've also read a most abominable comment in a book or magazine that long hair becomes unflattering after "like, 17", so believe me, it's not a myth that many stylists would rather shear than maintain long hair.
WUVIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WUVIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 5:29pm
I've said many times and I'll say it many more with regard to hair and age. It's similar to choosing the color towels in your bathroom. Who has such a lack of life to be concerned about other people's choices, so long as they don't affect anyone else?

It's really rather silly to me, but then again, I'm not
a social butterfly, either. I'm sure if I belonged to clubs and other cliquey organizations who lived
for gossip, rumors and fashion, I'd give a hoot what others thought. But I don't.

I live in the country, I have a lovely garden, pets, a great hubby and wonderful kids. Why on earth would I want to take time out of my day to concern myself with a stranger's opinion about my hair length or my age?

I'm yet another year from 40, but don't have any immediate plans to cut my hair. If the moment strikes me, I'd gladly cut off a length of hair of my choosing, but not for age or fashion reasons.

Life is too short to worry about these silly old
wives' tales.

Having said all that, I don't hesitate to say I've seen plenty of women of all ages who probably needed to cut their hair. Many women do not learn proper hair care during their lives, having relied on salons to 'fix' their hair every so often.

When you hit 40 (unsure why that age is so significant with regard to fashion, guess I'll find out next May?) it seems the time everyone dons that infamous style...the poodle do. Not for me, thanks.
It starts off shoulder length. Then shorter. And then shorter. And then what can you do with a few inches of hair? Yep, that poodle perm.

Now granted, not everyone's cosmetic appearance is enhanced with long hair, but what looks more
grand than a woman of age with glorious long locks which are well cared for?

It is my opinion that age and hair length really have nothing to do with one another, but more the manner in which you wear it and the degree of care you take when grooming.

Even young ladies with long stringy unkempt hair don't exactly ring the beauty bell. Now take that same girl / woman / fill-in-the-blank and teach her how to care for her length, and you've got a style that can't be beat.

An inch of hair for each year of life?
Sounds good to me.

Karen Marie

Karen Marie... / ACCOLADY

"You never see Eve, Venus, or the Graces painted with cropped hair."
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2004 at 12:24pm

But seriously, I doubt that the 'myth' as you refer to it is as widely-propagated or firmly held as you suggest.

Hi Style Guy,

I don't understand how you can say that the myth isn't widely propagated and firmly-held. Have you read what others have written here (both before and after your post)? Have you talked with long-haired women about this topic? I have talked to many. Almost every one of them has been told (at least once if not more) by family, friend, aquaintance or stranger alike that they should cut their hair "when they turn 30/40/before-you-get-old". These unsolicited and critical messages would to them seem to be their hair-related, social pet peeve number one.

I know the people on this board represent just a small percentage of the greater population, but isn't it telling that not even one person spoke out in support of the supposed rule?

LOL. No. That not one person has spoken out here (of all places, on a long hair support board) in support of the myth would be expected.

If you're thinking that there are legions of stylists out there whose mission is to convince women to cut their hair short on their 40th or any birthday, I can tell you I've never met one of them.

Gee, I hadn't envisioned that scenario, StyleGuy. Typically the myth is expressed in gathering places where the offenders feel they can "get away with" stating their put-down, issued with the intent of influencing behavior.

I think that what happens is this. Long hair takes some effort to maintain. At some point, many people decide against making that effort. Some people make that decision in their teens. Others make it in their twenties. And so it may appear that by the time people become 40 or 50, fewer are willing to make the effort to maintain long hair.

That doesn't make it a rule. And it doesn't mean you have to follow suit. It's free choice, from what I can see.

I am in favor of people making choices of their own free will and unencumbered by social pressures. But that is not the case when it comes to people expressing the gotta-cut-short-by-40 mantra. Many women who have been perfectly happy with their long hair, but felt compelled by society's expectations to cut their hair after they reached a certain age milestone -- and felt rather sad about "having" to cut their hair shorter. It's action based merely on perceived fears, but opposed to their true wishes. These people need support -- not criticism.

Some people, locked in their own little world with their own issues, may have objections to your decision. But they don't really matter, do they?

They don't matter to me. But I don't believe in supporting their destructive expression of their issues.

Why is it that the people who disseminate this myth feel the need to dictate their style preferences to others with the hope or expectation of compliance? To me, it just seems to be oddly controlling... sad and pathetic, really.
earthtones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earthtones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2004 at 11:04am
I've had shorter hair and I've had really long hair. Hairdresser always suggest cutting when it gets past BS length because they feel it has no style(in other words they can't make as much $$ off you) I think that is changing little by little. I was reading a beauty mag today and it said it doesn't matter your age but you hair type. The article said that people have always been told they are too old for long hair after 35 and women in their twenties shouldn't wear their hair short. They showed examples of famous women in their 20's, 30's,40's,50's and 60's with short-medium-long hair. Some women looked fantastic with short beyond their 30's but quess what, some looked fantastic with long hair. My hair is wavy, thick and coarse anything shorter than just past my shoulders and it bushes out. I need the length to weight it down. And long hair is much easier to care for than shorter hair, it is another myth that long hair= more work.
21/37.5/42 2C c iii
Golden brown, thick, wavy hair

It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got. ~sheryl crow~
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 6:59pm
I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. No one knows who made that rule so why should it even be considered?

I was thinking that maybe this can help, if nature intended for people to have short hair then when they aged it would somehow stop growing or shorten itself. Does this happen? No. Then why should we let what someone who we don't even know tell us that we can't have long hair when our body is still growing it?

You wanna know the true meaning of Long Hair?

Long Hair is the length of hair that you choose. Its however long You want it. If your hair grows and you want it, keep it.

What's next, are bendable elbows gonna go out of style? Are we all gonna have to wear splints to keep our arms from bending?

I mean think about it. Its not that much different to say that then it is to say you have to cut your hair because you turned 40 .... or because you gained 30 pounds...... or you are pregnant..... or because someone else did it.... or in my case because you are a male.
Paula View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 12:21pm
I think what happens is that sometimes with age, the hair thins out a lot and that's when long hair can age a woman, even if she's very young. Long, very thin hair can really draw attention and overemphasize a person's age, I'm not saying it's always that way, but sometimes it is.
StyleGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StyleGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Dave Decker Dave Decker wrote:

This "rule" is merely a widely-propagated and firmly-held... MYTH! It amazes me how some people willingly accept such ridiculous statements as being some irrefutable truth, and then feel they must abide by its tenets out of entirely misplaced fears. IMO those who feed the myth by advising others to adhere to it ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I don't feel strongly about this topic, do I?

LOL. Yes, Dave, why don't you tell us how you really feel?

But seriously, I doubt that the `myth' as you refer to it is as widely-propagated or firmly held as you suggest.

I know the people on this board represent just a small percentage of the greater population, but isn't it telling that not even one person spoke out in support of the supposed rule?

If you're thinking that there are legions of stylists out there whose mission is to convince women to cut their hair short on their 40th or any birthday, I can tell you I've never met one of them.

I think that what happens is this. Long hair takes some effort to maintain. At some point, many people decide against making that effort. Some people make that decision in their teens. Others make it in their twenties. And so it may appear that by the time people become 40 or 50, fewer are willing to make the effort to maintain long hair.

That doesn't make it a rule. And it doesn't mean you have to follow suit. It's free choice, from what I can see.

Some people, locked in their own little world with their own issues, may have objections to your decision. But they don't really matter, do they?
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2004 at 3:59am
HOGWASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those "rules" are part of conformist, stale and narrowminded values that I SPIT ON. They can be easily disregarded, remember, THERE IS NO FASHION POLICE!

I need not say more, as the previous posts speak for themselves.

Oh yeah, Kintaro, that thing about no wearing white after labor day, that's such patent nonsense if you take it seriously. I think it comes from those stodgy times 100 years ago when a gentleman practically had to wear a long sleeved suit even in hot weather (now you know how hot even Quebec can get in August. They must have sweated like horses back then) and they wore white to be a little cooler in the summer. I read that "advice" in the Miss Manners column that was once in the Toronto Star. Now this lady (assuming that it's the same person and indeed a lady) has given various advice over the years, some of which is common sense and some of which is just old-fashioned stodginess. You really nead to take these things critically.
gngirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gngirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 11:24pm
Thank you guys so much for your help.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 6:17pm
Excellent, Bill! Well done. Bravo! (clap clap clap). Now that's what I call exemplary long hair support!
Bill W View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2004 at 3:37pm
I agree age is no barrier to looking great with long hair. Today I was at the front office of the vacation association office and a women was putting a couple items in her trunk next to me. I said hello and complimented her on her beautiful long hair. She sort of giggled and said thank you very much. I appreciate the compliment. I replied that she must get a lot of compliments on her beautiful hair. She said, " Not really, but mostly on the color". Her hair was near waist length, neatly trimmed and honey blond in color. Well it is lovely I added. She told me she was now forty and she was growing it longer to donate it as a last hurrah as when she gets older it will be arder to grow so long... Then she added she planned to grow it longer, then cut it off to donate to LOL for cancer kids. Her husband was also a very big fan of her long hair but did not want to be selfish if she was giving up to help children with cancer. I mentioned they have a lot of hair sitting in the warehouse and they sell it for wigs to cover expenses as well as wigmaking. She mentioned another person had told her the same, but her female "friends" all are encouraging her to cut it off and "donate it". She said while she really didn't want to cut off her hair because it is part of her and it is a really big deal, she wanted to give of herself to help others. She also mentioned that as she has been getting older her hair has gotten drier and she feared it would thin. I told her I pick up Pantene Pro V for my wife and her hair is still silky soft at 40+, and I cringe at the thought of ever cutting my wife's hair short. It is very OK for women to have long hair and be beautifil after their teens. I told her she seems like a really nice, caring person and I can see how she would want to help others, I think we all do. I mentioned that I give blood a few times a year despite my dislike of needles because I am ) negative, CMV- , and they use the blood for newborn babies. So I bite the bullet, tolerate the needle and give of myself to save a life. She told me she really did not want her hair cut off to pay for staff or utilities. And she mentioned she might consider being a blood donor or volunteering at the hospital. I wished her a good day. She said thank you, really thank you, because I helped her make up her mind not to give up her hair. She became rather esoteric and said there was a reason she was late to her first job in the morning and it was because she was meant to talk to me to help her make her decision not to cut her hair. I told her whether it was devine intervention or random chance, at 40+, she had beautiful hair and no one who is jealous of her hair, should make her feel guilty for keeping it long and beatiful. She mentioned her husband would also be pleased with her decision not to cut her hair off. I told her I was glad to help another husband enjoy the beauty of a great looking wife. She said she could tell I was being kind and honest to her because I had not asked her name, I mentioned my wife and she did not feel I was coming on to her. So in closing, do not be hesitant to complement a lady on her beautiful hair, it really is appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic