Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Personality Traits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personality Traits?
    Posted: March 04 2005 at 9:35am
I'm curious; what do you think people who consistently wear their hair long have in common? The reason why I ask this is because Halle Berry recently said that even though she's been wearing long extensions for roles lately, she's "a short-haired person at heart." Conversely, you get people who, when they cut their hair short, grow it out right away because "it's just not me." So, what is "me"? What are the qualities that lead to our preferences?

I know that for me, there's a fair amount of rebellion involved; if I'm told to do something, I will do the opposite, and for the longest time I was told "you need to cut it," so of course my response was "no I don't." That exchange doesn't really happen so much now that I no longer live in Preppyville, but I still aesthetically prefer it long, and on a certain level it represents my stubborn streak, which has served me well in other ways even today.

Any other explanations/common personality traits?
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 11:45am
Hi Hi:

Good question. I guess the simple truth for me is, ego. There are few factors that come in play for my ego.

1- The feel of long hair on my shoulders makes me feel very feminine, and sexy. This makes me feel good about myself.

2- I "Love" the attention and looks I get from guys. I really do think men pay more attention to a gal with long hair then one with short hair.

3- It also drives many other women crazy, when they see a gal with long hair. Exspecially the strong willed feminests, that seem to be against anything feminine. Personally - I love being a girl, as the song goes. I also love being feminine.

NOW - I mean no disrespect to any one out there. All I did here is answer the question that was asked to all of us. This is just how I feel. So please do not take a nuttt.

Susan
Susan
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 2:12pm
My mom always chopped mine off short when I was a kid, so I always envied the girls with the long hair, and I noticed when the boys all wanted to spend their time with those girls (which is probably what lead me to the opinion that long hair makes people prettier). Even though I know where I probably got this idea from, it never changed my opinion.

Still waiting for mine to grow out, and I can't wait to feel pretty and girly again!

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 6:08pm
Wow... I don't think I'm either a short or long hair person. As soon as my hair is long, I want it short and when it is short I want it long. I guess both have their pros and cons. I like long hair because you can do some real pretty stuff with it and I like short hair because of all the cute cuts you can get.
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 5:42am
Speaking as someone who went from very long to short a couple of months ago I can say I am definitely a "long haired" girl at heart. I've had extensions now to give me back a some length. I felt totally unglamorous and plain with short hair although strangely enough I did gain a boyfriend while my hair was short, but he doesn't mind how I have my hair. Oh well.
I feel sexier with long hair and more confident, plus it may not be politically correct but I really enjoy being feminine. Other women didn't seem to like it when I had really long hair in fact it was my ex best friend who persuaded me to go short.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 5:52am
Longhaired people are more patient.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Grace912 Grace912 wrote:

... if I'm told to do something, I will do the opposite...

Grace, cut your hair short now! Whatever you do, do not grow your hair super long!

Originally posted by deltagirl12345 deltagirl12345 wrote:

Especially the strong willed feminests, that seem to be against anything feminine.

Feminists against being feminine. Hmm... just whose interests do they represent, anyway?
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 1:52am
I've never had short hair, and I fear change....especially if said change is not easily reversible. Drastic color changes don't bug me because I know how to fix it if I don't like it. But if I ever cut my hair, at the sloooooow rate mine grows, it would take absolutely forever to grow back.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 2:01am
For me? The Seven Deadly Sins in this order:

ETA: forgot to reorder them after typing them from web.
Pride - Envy - Lust - Wrath - Gluttony (which includes non-food pleasures, apparently)- Greed - Sloth

And the biggest thing for me is wanting to be something "-est". Wanting to outdo everyone I know in SOMETHING. In this case, the longest hair. I want to have the longest hair of anyone I know in person. That's probably classified as Pride then :)
my LJ, 40 inches long
Cranberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 3:42pm

I love the extreme lengths...that is, either very short or very long, because both are fairly uncommon where I live.  Most people are in between chin and shoulder-blade length styles.  Right now I'm working on kind of a long bohemian Joss Stone-kind of look, except auburn-colored.  It's an especially fun style...the positive attention is of course enjoyable, and easy to spot in a sea full of women with medium-length hair and blonde highlights.   

Cool for those women, though.  Hey, as long as you like the way you look--bald, highlights, or long--go for it, eh? 

Edited by Cranberry
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:29pm
Anais, you're funny.

Long hair for me reflects practicality, and at this point, laziness. I grew my hair long because 17 years ago, I couldn't afford going to salons anymore, so I thought I would try doing the one style I had never had before, long, and see how long it could grow.  I secretly always wanted super long hair since I was a very young child.  Once I reached my goal of 6 feet, I told myself I would trim regularly.  Heh, I haven't done it yet.

I like being extreme in this one area of my life, and when I do wear my hair down, it's great fun receiving attention, which mostly is quizzical and shocked, but some men can get over ardent, which I'm not so fond of anymore.  Bikers looove long hair.

I agree with Katherine, too, long hair does reflect patience.  When it does become work, which isn't too often 'cuz I wear it in updos most of the time, it can tangle badly, which requires detangling no matter what hour it is.  Still, my husband and I have to carefully undo each tangle, even if it's 2 AM.  That's when patience kicks in.

Jennifer Eve
SumoSamurai View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumoSamurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 11:44pm
Go for eight feet.

SamuraiJoe- designed by me, will be very popular movie/series in the future of the Stick World...
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 9:58am

Bwhahaha!!! Thanks LadyG!

my LJ, 40 inches long
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 11:12am

Hi All,

Great topic.

I really could relate to what LadyG said about having long hair.  In many ways, I think it is definitely about patience but I also think it is about feeling comfortable in your own skin.  When hair is worn differently there is sometimes pressure from society to conform to whatever is the most popular norm and when we have super long hair (and my hair is nowhere as long as LadyG or many here) people criticize us for not conforming.  I am still told the old standbys at times...too old for long hair, it would look so much better in a shorter style...etc... blah blah blah.  However, I truly feel comfortable with my hair just as it is and it doesn't ruffle me at all to hear comments.  And then sometimes I do get compliments which is always very nice.

So I think people with long hair are patient but I also think that they are unique and proud of being true to who they are and what feels good for them.  They don't bend to other's pressure, which I feel gives them a sense of great self esteem.

Thanks to all for great insights.

Best wishes,
Karen Marie Shelton

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Gear Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gear Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2005 at 9:32pm

Part of my reason for deciding to grow my hair long is because I was tired of being mistaken for a guy.  Most of my friends are guys and I tend to dress in baggy clothes (it's all I'm comfortable in) and if I ever was wearing a hat or had a hood up so you couldn't clearly see my face I'd get lots of people calling me a sir, or a guy etc. 

I also love doing something with my hair.  When I had short hair if I wanted it to look really nice I had to spend a lot of time and hair products to get it just right.  Now it just takes two minutes and a few nice hair accesories and my hair is up in a nice bun or twist. 

I also have long hair for the feminine reasons, I guess.  While the rest of my clothes is baggy and black, my hair will always be done up in a nice style with something pink or purple.  I suppose that my hair is my favorite part of myself and I want to make sure people see it as the beautiful part of me that it is.

Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:24am
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

So I think people with long hair are patient but I also think that they are unique and proud of being true to who they are and what feels good for them.  They don't bend to other's pressure, which I feel gives them a sense of great self esteem.
So nicely stated. (Howdy, Karen!)
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 4:02pm

Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

And the biggest thing for me is wanting to be something "-est". Wanting to outdo everyone I know in SOMETHING. In this case, the longest hair. I want to have the longest hair of anyone I know in person. That's probably classified as Pride then :)

I'm so glad you said that Anais, because I thought I was the only one!  Whenever someone I know (in person) with long hair cuts it short, I feel like I'm one step closer to "winning" the race for the longest hair.  It's really sick but like you said, it's probably a pride thing.

Aside from that, I also think it's a patience thing.  Everything with my hair involves patience- growing, washing, combing, drying, detangling, etc.  There are so many days that I just want to chop it off into a pixie-style cut, but I know that if I did I'd cry forever and I would know that I gave up, and I don't like to be a quitter. 

This is a great thread, by the way

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 5:03pm
How long is your hair now, Katja?  I'm probably among the longest haired-men around anywhere (but who knows how many Sikh men have me beat?  I'll never find out).  Having the longest hair was never my goal (I just haven't prevented it from continuing to grow longer).

Ouch, Redhairedgirl!   At least you learned that your ex-best friend isn't really a friend after all.  A high price to pay, though.

I've long been immune to haircut pressures that others still occasionally attempt to apply (since about one year into my "quest"). 13 years since short, and it continues to inch down toward the floor.

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 4:05pm
Keep going all you long haired people! Don't bend to the masses! Especially Dave and LG because you two have the longest hair I've ever heard of. I think that some people just feel more comfortable with the long haired image. Don't jump on me people when I say business people generally have shorter hair. Having long hair DOESN'T mean you can't be a business person but a lot of career orientated, snappy, officey people have short, stylish cuts which reflect their go get em personality. Long haired people tend to be more relaxed? I mean you have to spend longer combing it and been patient with it and if you're a rush rush person you're not going to want to spend hours faffing around with your hair. Ok, not hours, but you know what I mean. I think?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:58pm
If you're a longhaired person, you know that long hair takes less time to care for than short, stylish hair, and the upkeep is cheaper, too.

I think many business people see themselves as iconoclasts. The "going against the grain" thing is what they're striving for. It's kind of funny, because rebelling against long hair and getting short, trendy styles is pure conformity - how do you rebel against something that's uncommon and noninfluential?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic