Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Radical hair changes in the movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Radical hair changes in the movies
    Posted: July 29 2003 at 1:55pm
I was watching "G.I. Jane" (unfortunately) last weekend in which Demi Moore famously shaved off her long hair. I guess it's kind of hard to top that one, but what do you think is the biggest hair change featured in a movie?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
caramia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:08pm
Does it have to be an instance where the actress really changed/cut her hair? Or can it be an instance where the character "cuts" or otherwise drastically changes her hair? I can think of 4 movies in which a main character drastically alters her hair... Remember Julia Robert's character Shelby in Steel Magnolia's. She had gorgeous long flowing auburn hair and then the character cut it into a short style which was very unattractive in my opinion and obviously a wig. The 2nd instance I can think of was Charlize Theron's character in The Devil's Advocate. She had hair that was approximately shoulder length and when her character moved to NYC, she got it cut. I think Charlize generally keeps her hair short (which looks wonderful on her - she's so beautiful) and the shoulder length style was probably extensions or hairpieces. The 3rd movie I can think of is The Nun's Story starring Audrey Hepburn in which her character Sister Luke had her lock's sheared at some point in her novitiate (I think that's what they call it when one is becoming a nun). The 4th movie I can think of is Alison Lohman's character (she played the daughter) in White Oleander. She cut her long gorgeous locks herself while in a juvenile center - it was obviously a wig and looked really horrible but that was the character's intent. I'm trying to think of an instance where a male character's hair was changed drastically but I'm stumped at the moment.

Caramia
clownboots View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 4:27pm
Here are a few off the top of my head:

Audrey Hepburn -- "Roman Holiday" -- Long to short
Kim Novak -- "Vertigo"??? -- Style change/platinum
Mia Farrow -- "Rosemary's Baby" -- Long to short
Jane Seymour -- "Holocaust" -- Bald (cap)
Jamie Lee Curtis -- "Trading Places" -- Long to short (Wig)
Bonnie Bedelia -- "Heart Like a Wheel" -- Chronological style changes
Melanie Griffith -- "Working Girl" -- Long to shorter
Carey Lowell -- "License to Kill" (007) -- Long to short
Cheryl Ladd -- "Millenium" -- Long to short/futuristic
Bess Armstrong -- "My So Called Life" (TV) -- Long to short
Brigitte Fonda -- "Single White Female" -- Long to short
Jennifer Jason Leigh -- "Single White Female" -- Long to short
Joan Chen -- "Temptation of a Monk" -- Long to Bald
Robin Tunney -- "Emprie Records" -- Long to Bald
Demi Moore -- "GI Jane" -- Long to Bald
Keri Russell -- "Felicity" (TV) -- Long to Short
Bai Ling -- "Anna and the King" -- Long to Bald
Christine Taylor -- "Friends" (TV) -- Long to Bald (cap)
Jennifer Lopez -- "Enough" -- Long to short (wig)

I am not sure which is the most radical, but I am sure that I will think of several others in the meantime. My favorite is Mia Farrow's in "Rosemary's Baby."
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 6:36pm
How about Audrey Hepburn in "Sabrina" and Julia Ormond in the remake.
newxx View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2003 at 8:56pm
Hello
See:

http://womeninwigs.narod.ru/movies1.htm

On "Beautiful Joe", Sharon Stone wore several different wigs.

For TV Series: Alias (Jennifer Garner) and "Carita De Angel". On Carita, there is a strange leading character: "Aunt with Wigs".

She have more than a dozen wigs with various style and colors (from purple, green, pink, etc). The actress mentioned that once she have to change her wig 30 times in a single day during the making of the TV series.
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

I was watching "G.I. Jane" (unfortunately) last weekend in which Demi Moore famously shaved off her long hair. I guess it's kind of hard to top that one, but what do you think is the biggest hair change featured in a movie?

Totally off topic:
Lyris, I notice you changed your quote. I lOVE the new quote by the way!! Where did you hear it? OR did you come up with it? I'm writing that down!
Pam
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 9:14am
Aggie, how I wish I were that witty! I have no idea where I found that quote, so I did a Yahoo search to see who coined it and the first result display was MY HB PROFILE! LOL. So I guess we shall both have to wonder (unless someone else can enlighten us.) I was cleaning out my old computer the other day and found an entire list of great insights, some funny, some very clever, so I'll be using those as well!

Clownboots, whoa, what a list; I congratulate you! I totally forgot about Devil's Advocate. I couldn't believe how different--yet stunning either way--Charlieze looked with just a little cut, color 'n style. And SWF...well, that was just creepy.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 11:02am
I like so much the radical change of Lori Singer in the movie "The Last Ride" (Also know as F.T.W). She cut her very long blonde hair short and dye it brown.

There's a big list of haircut scenes in movies and books at:

http://www.plazaone.com/rldc/redlite/hairlist.txt
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2003 at 9:50pm
To add to clownboots list, there was a haircut scene in "Boy Meets World" where Topanga cuts her hair on her own, then has to get it "cleaned up" at the local hair salon...
conway28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conway28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 12:34pm
Has everyone forgotten about Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors. She goes from long shoulder length hair to a short cute bob type cut. Great cut i think,
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by conway28 conway28 wrote:

Has everyone forgotten about Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors. She goes from long shoulder length hair to a short cute bob type cut. Great cut i think,

And moreover, that movie proved that some people really do NOT look good as dyed brunettes!
shorthair75_2000 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorthair75_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

Originally posted by conway28 conway28 wrote:

And moreover, that movie proved that some people really do NOT look good as dyed brunettes!

That was Gwens best look ever.
ballet dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballet dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 6:11pm
Motocrossed a Disney Channel movie.

They don't show the actually cut, more before and after but its drastic.

Long to short crop.

arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 1:56am
Anyone remember Carla Gugino from son-in-law? Anyone know if that was her real hair or a wig?
What about Haviland Morris from the movie Sixteen Candles? Stuck in a door, and they cut it out for her?
I also recall a clip on the Arsenio Hall show, showing Maria Conchita Alonso cutting her very long hair to a short pixie for the movie predator 2. Anyone got that on tape?
How about Julie Christie gettin her hair cut by warren beatty in that one movie, can't remember the name. Anyone help me on this one? Thanks
We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Joee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 6:05am
Ballet, I saw Alana Austin interviewed for the movie Motocrossed, and they really did cut her hair. I'm surprised they did not include it in the video.
Arch, the movie was " Shampoo ".
lev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 10:26am
1. Cate Blanchett shaved her head (shoulder lenght hair)- onscreen - in "Heaven"
2. Toni Colette shaved her head (short hair) - onscreen - in "8 1/2 Women"
3. Peta Wilson did a selfcut in "Nikita"
4. Julianne Nicholson buzzed her hair - offscreen -in "The Love Letter"
5. Suzy Amis cut her fantastic long hair - onscreen -- in "The Ballad of Little Jo"

But Demi's shave is undoubtely the most radical.
The Stu Man View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stu Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 7:37pm
To add another: Geena Davis cut her hair short and dyed it blonde in The Long Kiss Goodnight.
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:27am
Thanks, Clownboots! After see the name of the movie "License to Kill" in your list I decided to watch to the movie to see the transformation of Carey Lowell. In spite of her "before" hair not being exactly long, I was amazed. Carey with her very short hair is something near to the perfection in beauty for me. It's a "must see" for every short hair lover. Wonderful!!!
Dick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:35am
Still about Carey Lowell: I'm happy to see that she keeps her hair very short until today:

http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=SRH&str=carey+lowell&styp=&sfld=C&substr=carey+lowell&sortval=4d&PageNum=1

Lucky man, Richard Gere.
Ellestin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellestin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2003 at 10:48am
This topic reminds me of a movie. "Haut les Coeurs" from Islandic director Solveigh Anspach (don't know how it translates), in which French actress Karin Viard has her head shaved at the salon - she's playing the role of a woman struck by cancer. A very moving film, not only because of this scene....

She has very short hair before the cut, but still you can speak of a radical change...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic