Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chlorine and Perms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SiriusGrrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chlorine and Perms
    Posted: August 28 2004 at 9:57am
Sorry if this concern was in a previous thread.

I was wondering if chlorine/other pool chemicals has any kind of reaction to a perm. That's really all. Thanks.

-Lori

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 9:29am
Anyone?
ashlee18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashlee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 12:36pm
I was in chlorine about a week after I had my hair permed and nothing happened. I just recommend giving it a week or so after you get the perm.

~Ashlee
Lauren_A View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lauren_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2004 at 2:52pm
Yeah, when I had a perm, I swam and chlorine didn't bother it. Just use good products and condition and it should be OK.

Did yours relax? I remember you asking when they would.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2004 at 10:11am
Yeah it definately relaxed. Sometimes i think that it relaxed a little too much. My hair is on the border from a curl and a wave. I like it tho. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Thanks for the replys!
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2004 at 10:29am
Chlorine water can damage permed hair because the perm leaves it vulnerable to attack. Chlorine bonds to the outer hair shaft and leaves hair brittle, dry and straw-like. This condition often leaves hair unmanageable and prone to breakage and split ends.

Many people think that it is the chlorine in a pool that turns light colored hair green. Actually, the heavy metals, such as copper, found in pool water are what turns light colored hair greenish. Since the outer hair shaft may be open and damaged from exposure to chlorine, this allows the heavy metals to get into the hair shaft and turn hair that green color.

Also, chlorine is a lifting agent and will lighten your hair color.

It is always an excellent idea to quickly get the chlorine out of your hair.
Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic