Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions: Taming 28mm PH

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions: Taming 28mm PH
    Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:15pm
I read Fina's comments about the 28mm and now I'm concerned cuz I bought quite a bit of it.

What if...

You opened the bag, folded over the hair into 2 equal sections in length and dipped it in boiling water and allowed it to dry prior to tipping and/or installation? Would this loosen the curl so it wasn't so radical?

I'll definitely be getting the 50mm next time after reading of the successful ways of putting the curl back in.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:21pm
You'll definitely have to fold it in half and deal with 1/2 of it at a time; otherwise, it's just toooooo long and it gets really tangly. I tied it in a knot at the middle, kept one end in the band and unbanded the other end, and dealt with it from there. That way, there was MUCH less shedding. I think the curl is the culprit. Also, when you take the curl out via blowdryer or however, the hair still has a different texture than I imagine the 50mm does...a tad coarse. Probably from the curling process at the factory.

Next time I'm getting 50mm too, but meanwhile, I like this hair - it's still pretty and looks 100% real. Plus, it's in.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:22pm
Yeah, I think that would work well, AMM. You might not even need boiling water, actually--regular hot water might do the trick, if you want to take a more baby-steps approach.

Is someone planning a new install?
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:24pm
Someone is ALWAYS planning a new install.

First, the hair has to get here. I'm on pins and needles.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:26pm
You won't need boiling water.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:27pm
Which colors are you using, girl? Are you mixing the WaWa and the PH side by side? :) 
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:30pm
I agree with Syren. You could even take a spray bottle of hot water and dampen the hair by spraying it, then hanging it to dry. :)
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:30pm
1 x      mandel
- Style: 28mm curl      
1 x      winterblond
1 x      caramel blond
1 x      flieder UV
1 x      seidenblond

I want to do complete PH - nothing else. If the colors aren't what I need, I'll reorder and wait until they get here. I don't want to mix this.

I ordered on 2/23. Is it normal to take over a month?

Syren, thanks. No boiling water. I'll remember to just keep it hot.
imzadi92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imzadi92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:34pm
i agree that it is a different texture... ive had both the straight, the 50 mm and the 28 mm, and the 28 is definitely coarser/rougher when straightened. i also have the problem jenny mentioned on another thread, of the very tips getting that weird fried look, no matter how careful you are. im beginning to think the wawa is much better, i just wish there were more colors available in the therms.

~Jenn~
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:40pm
Hmm...that seems slow, actually. I usually end up getting the hair before the expected three weeks. Was something on backorder? You might want to check in with Sara. :)

Those colors look beautiful together--I just checked out the combo on my ring. :)

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:42pm
Hey Jenn,

I'm wondering if the fried thing has to do with the fact that you're cutting a fiber and it's unraveling in a sense, rather than the heat exposure. This is just a theory though. :)
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:43pm

I currently have the 28mm curl in now.   For pretipping I banded both ends and cut it in the center, I only wear my hair below the shoulders so this works well for me.  I just snipped little pieces below the rubber band to make my tips. 

I personally really like the curl pattern of the 28... I love that messy lion mane look.  IMO the curlier hair is more forgiving if the application technique is less than perfect...far from it in my case.  When I blew it straight I ended up cutting it pretty much even with my own...why do I always end up with the same frickin' hair cut?

It is now straight as a stick, but feels good and looks natural.  My new order just arrived and I can't wait to tear into that so I can repeat the process all over again.

imzadi92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imzadi92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:50pm
hmmm could be Jenny. kind of a pain though  hopefully it wont keep unraveling all the way up 

~Jenn~
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 5:58pm
Well, that's the thing: It doesn't, which is weird. I've been wearing the hair for 6 weeks now, and it seems like that weird frizziness is just limited to the very, very end--like the last 16th of an inch or so--while the hair directly above it is fine and stays fine. With human, it'll continue to split all the way up, but this seems very limited to that final end.

That's why I'm wondering if it's heat exposure or just the inevitable result of cutting the fiber. Along these lines, I think it can be helpful to trim this hair--just that tiny bit on the ends--every two weeks or even every week. (Blow-drying or steaming will smooth it out too, temporarily.) But perhaps there's a product or something that would reinforce those ends after cutting. I don't know enough about fibers to speculate, but maybe someone here has some ideas? :)
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 6:29pm
I doubt it's unraveling; monofiber doesn't do that afaik. It's just that the ends are where it gets the most wear from brushing, styling, etc, and it's really hard to straighten out the very ends because, when you're steaming or blowdrying the hair straight, the important part is -pulling- it straight as you do it. And on the ends, there's nothing left to hold on to, obviously, so it can't be pulled taut as you blowdry it- the best you can do is just blowdry over it and hope it smooths out, and trim off the very ends if it's intolerably crinkly.

-Rae
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 6:54pm
amm - I ordered on 2/8? about then anyhow and got my shipment yesterday.  But she didn't ship til two weeks ago today.  Part of my delay was special order bangs and what not.  Part that she was short on brunette colors and had to sort out what to substitute.  Have you received an email saying that she has shipped it?  
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by zapevaj zapevaj wrote:

IAnd on the ends, there's nothing left to hold on to, obviously, so it can't be pulled taut as you blowdry it- the best you can do is just blowdry over it and hope it smooths out

OK--that makes sense then. I'm going to try to concentrate more on those very ends when I blow-dry and see what happens. Thanks, Rae!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:27pm
mocha,

I ordered the afternoon of 2/23 at 2:13 PM. I received the email that my order status was: processing.

At 2:14 PM (one minute later) I received the email that my order status was: delivered.

That was the last correspondence I've received.

I just checked my history at Plastikhaar and it says status delivered.

I guess I should write Sara?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 7:42pm
I definitely think you should. The "Delivered" notification usually comes when she sends it out (or so I thought). If one of the colors isn't available and she needs to order it, that's usually indicated on the invoice, too. :)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 8:32pm
yeah I'd definitely wtite sara.  Cause my hair came economy in just under two weeks.  I'm on the east coast but...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic