Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair is not growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Color_Diva928 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Color_Diva928 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair is not growing
    Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:15am

Hello!  Despite my stylist's strong recommendation to get a "good trim", I have advised her to only perform "search and destroy" about twice a year.  I sooooo want my bra-strap length hair to be waist-length... 

Over the last year, my hair has only grown about 2, 2 1/2", literally.  That, to me, is obscenely slow.  I regularly deep condition with high-end, salon products, and have even lightened up on my straightening and flat-ironing, which I used to do all the time.  What's the problem? 

I have colored and highlighted hair, but nonetheless, this lack of growth seems very unusual to me.  I am in general good health, and take a multi-vitamin everyday, in conjunction with a Biotin supplement.

Has anyone ever heard of, or experienced this?

Thanks!

Edited by Color_Diva928
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:41am
Providing you don't have excessive breakage on your ends, you may just be in a lag period.  Hair sometimes does that for the first time around your length, and will do it again if you go to longer and longer lengths.  It's normal and it will start up again when the time is right.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
GoldieLocks92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoldieLocks92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 7:14pm
I think I'm in this sort of lag too, at the moment. But still I think I can help.
Make your trims more frequent; maybe quarterly trims of ALL your hair. Ask your stylist for a coloring product that isn't very harsh or just wait a little longer between colorings. Besides that, I can just say don't give up hope! You're really close!

~Ali
Hair is BSL+ as of 9/15/05
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2005 at 8:05pm
Highlighting can be very hard on hair. Straightening hair which has been highlighted could be causing it to just break off at a certain point. I've heard lots of people complain about this kind of auto-haircut.

The salon products you are using may not be what your hair needs. The cost of products is not necessarily related to their appropriateness for anyone's hair.

You're probably going to have to reconsider coloring at some point if your really want long hair.
Katja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2005 at 3:39pm

Wow... that sounds exactly like my story.  What Susan said was right though- hair gets to a certain point (and one of these is definitely midback) and grows ever so slowly.  It seems to happen once every 6 inches for me and it does last awhile.  The good thing is that your hair is growing, even if it's frustratingly slow.  Once it gets past that phase it should grow at a normal rate again.  But definitely keep doing the deep conditioning thing; it helps more than most other things I think.

"If you're not failing every now and again, it's a sign you're not doing anything very innovative."
-Woody Allen
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic