Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stylists supportive of long hair, or not?
    Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:30pm
Last week, I had a discussion with a woman at the office (whom I hadn't seen around in awhile) whose hair is longer now than I've ever seen it (not especially long, just longer).

She told me that she wants it to be longer, but her hairstylist is always encouraging her not to do so.  Another woman at the office recently told me essentially the same thing.

What have been your experiences with stylists?  Do/have they counsel you not to go any longer?  Or are they fully supportive of your intention to maintain/grow long hair?
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:37pm

My (former) hair stylist always made slightly snide comments about how long my hair had gotten since the last time she had seen me.  I haven't been to a hardresser for well over a year now as I have never had a haircut that I liked.  Long + curly hair seems to be an issue lots of stylists just can't handle.

Now that I do s+ds and micro trims my hair (and ego) are a lot happier and healthier

3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
philosophy girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philosophy girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:39pm
plus I'm cheap
3a C/M ii 35"(21/03/06)dark red

Founding Member of the Benign Neglect Club. All applications welcome and accepted (each member to decide for themselves what they consider to be neglectful)
Sasumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 3:06pm
Actually, my hairstylist is very supportive of me growing my hair. Every time I come she'll comment on how long it's become, and she'll never ask me if I want it short.

In fact, the first time I came to her, I wanted to cut my hair almost boy-short. She talked me into cutting it only to my chin. I'm happy she didn't cut it boy-short, because a month after cutting my hair, I wanted to grow it long.

But, she has waist-length hair, so that's probably the reason why she's supportive of me growing my hair.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 4:45pm

The girl who cut my hair was always really good about me growing it and always complimented it's length. When I had to get another layer to get rid of some chlorene/sun damage she persuaded me not to go as short as I wanted.

Now I do it myself because it's easier and cheaper.

horselover_1625 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horselover_1625 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 8:08pm
I've never had my hair cut by a stylist, but I've gone into a few salons before and asked around, so I have run into a few different people. Some comment on how long it is and are very nice about it, whereas some try to pressure me into getting it cut. I'd say on the whole, there's been more supportive of my long hair than not.
RANITA~~
-----------
What good is life without a horse??!!!
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:31pm

My experience with stylists overall has not been good. Most stylists commented on how thin and dry my hair is and encouraged me to keep it short. I had one good stylist years ago who cut it short (at my request) and told me I had beautiful hair and that if I wanted to grow it long, I should do so. So I guess it's good I had that one positive experience......oh, and PurpleBubba is always so supportive, he's a stylist, right?

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:15am
Good topic Dave!!  Like SK, I've had pretty bad stylist experiences.  They always look like they're having a hard time working with my hair, and used to comment on how frizzy it was and how it was hard to blow dry.  They always suggested trendy haircuts and loads of expensive products....and of course thought it just HAD to be straightened!!!  Of course, back when I used to go to a stylist I didn't have the knowledge I have now...so I just used to go along with them.  It's been 8 months since I've been to a stylist, and I'm very happy never to go to one again.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:41am
Most hairstylists I have seen (not to mention barbers )LOVE to chop hair and they are constantly discouraging people who want to grow they hair. This is one of the reasons I never entered in a barbershop since I was 16, and allways told my GFs to stay away of scissors. IMO, haircutters should be IMPALED.

Blessed be,
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 6:50am
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

She told me that she wants it to be longer, but her hairstylist is
always encouraging her not to do so.  Another woman at the office recently told me essentially the same thing.

Screw those stylists! Tell those two ladies to change their hairdressers!

Blessed be,
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 4:59pm

Mostly, no.  But then again, it is their professional interest to keep customers coming in.  And what easier way than to push shorter hair styles that have a shorter 'shelf life' so to speak and that requires more updating.  And I am wondering if it is less work for them to simply cut to a particular shorter style rather than work with the  longer hair curl and structure.  Saw one episode of 'What Not to Wear' and this blond girl insisted on keeping her length and the stylist Nick ended up doing a great job shaping it.  But he complained about all the work he had to do!

However, there were long-haired riendly stylsts out there willing to work with longer hair, l might consider going to them.

Weather Forcast - With high humidity in the air, expect general hair frizziness to continue :-/
Current Length: 30 inches or so from the front
KellyX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 7:36pm

It seemed every time I went in for a trim I cut way more cut off than I wanted.  There was one I really like who told me " I cant glue it back on, so we will cut a little.  If you want more off, we can always cut it again." I like that philosophy, but she moved away.  I found another who was good the first time I saw him , but on the second trim......he messed up big time.  NOW, no trims at all for me for a long long time.  So I dont think most of them really are supportive.  Not the ones I've met anyhow.

Kelly
Nastasska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nastasska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 2:41am
I've recently been seeing a new hairdresser and I have to say she is wonderfulShe doesn't pressure me to trim any off the length she does exactly what I ask in fact she is over cautios she has long hair herself which helps she really is great
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/fuseli_nightmare-1.jpg" />
Cats may have staff but dogs have slaves, tired ones
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 4:12am

My hairdresser is a mix. When I see her she will exclaim over how long and pretty my hair hair is but she would prefer for me to trim it more often and get more cut off (only an inch!!??? What´s the point in that!!!???" My mum (who goes to the same hairdresser-she has a short bob that requires frequent trimming) tells m how the hairdresser will tell her that my hair really needs cutting. That annoys me. She doesn´t want it to be short but definiton of the time between trims (6 weeks) and mine (a year or so) is slightly different!

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Rinny86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rinny86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:13am
I am a hairdresser myself in Australia, and I find that the most stylists I work with, prefer to work with/cut shorter hair. My hair is BSL with my goal waistlength, and they used to constantly say, 'You should cut it shorter', or 'Why grow it longer, it looks good at that length'. I have just learned to ignore their comments and do what I want with my hair. The reason that most stylists want to cut off clients hair is simply because short hair requires regular trimming every 4-6 weeks, which brings in better business for the salon. You also usually need more styling products for short hair, therefore bringing another opportunity for a sale. In my opinion, long hair is alot easier to cut than short hair, and I prefer to work with long hair anyday. Whenever clients decide for the big chop, I never convince them to do it, I actually try to talk them into keeping a bit of length! Once you cut it off, it takes a long time to grow back!
.:*``*:.~*CoRiNnE*~.:*``*:.
      *Long Hair Lover*   
      Hair type- 1c F ii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 6:55am
Judging by what Tyranna and Rinny 86 posted, those pricks deliberatelly destroy your crowning glory in order to make money out of youtr misery... Ladies, stay away from those scoundrels! I still say those s___heads should be impaled!

Blessed be,
denika_s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denika_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2006 at 11:33am

I have only had to "fire" one hairstylist and that was over a year ago.  She admired my patience for maintaining my hair so well, but would always tell me that my hair was in need of an update.  When she took off 3 inches when I asked for a 1 inch trim, she got the boot and I never went back again!

The stylist I see now is great, although I do see her often.  She respects what I want for my hair.  Butttt......last time I was there she informed me she is moving to Ontario in May.  She has invited me in to meet a new girl, but I haven't went in to see her yet.\

~Den

Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 6:55pm

My stylist has been very supportive. She only trims exactly what I ask her to.

I think it's important to find a stylist that you like and stick with them. I also believe in tipping well if your stylist does a good job!

caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 8:57pm
most of the stylists i've been to claimed that my hair was unhealthy and needed to be trimmed or even cut... most stylists i know, as friends or so, tell me my hair is very healthy... i concluded that, as Impaler Vlad mentioned, they're just after the money 
summer*22* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote summer*22* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 9:04pm

I think hair stylists listen mostly when you make it clear exactly what you want.  If you know what you want you won't be pressured by them.

But in my experience, most hair stylists do pressure you to cut it off.  Shorter styles require more maitanence haircuts to keep the style.  But longer styles do not require as much haircuts if hair is kept healthy.  My hairstylist wanted me coming in all the time for trims even when it was long....so I think they just have a business to run and do what is necessary to keep customers coming back.

But from a stand point that I have ruined my hair being really stupid....my hairstylists have helped me fix my hair.  So...I don't think they are always bad....they just are running a business like everyone else.  I think hairstylists listen when the customer is VERY clear exactly what they want.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic