Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need Help/Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 12:12am
I try to stay away from anything with alcohol.  Not all types of alcohol are damaging, but I can never remember which ones are which, so I just stay away from them all.  Also silicone based ingredients... most of these will end with "cone" (dimethicone for example).  These 2 things are what I watch out for the most.  But I also try to use products that contain lots of herbal/botanical ingredients such as plant extracts instead of being totally chemicals and synthetics.  I don't like using stuff that has a ton of ingredients I can't pronounce.  I like TRESemme.

It's great that you found a way to straighten without much heat.  That will help alot on reducing the amount of damage to your hair.

I totally understand your self-consciousness.  I was really shy and uncomfortable with myself as a teenager (not so long ago).  I didn't really overcome it until I was about 19 or 20, and still struggle with it from time to time in certain situations.  But, that's another story...  I encourage you to work your way into it a little at a time.  Like you said, try wearing it natural to the store or to hang out with the girls to gain confidence.  Then gradually start wearing it that way to school.  It's very normal to be afraid of a big change, especially when you're not sure how it will be accepted.  Be prepared (as much as you can be) for negative remarks.  Some people will think it's a sin to not look like everyone else, and some people will be jealous because you had the guts to be different and they don't.  And some people will be just plain cruel because that's the way they are.  But don't give up!  I'm cheering you on!
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 9:59am
My hair is pretty curly. It is more of a tight wave, but I have some loose spirals underneath.I have some spots on the sides in the front that go almost stright.When I was in high school I, I used to blow dry it every day to straighten it, so it would all be the same. It wasn't until I started having kids ( I didn't have the time), that I let it go naturally. Ever since then, I have gotten so many compliments on my hair. I am one of the only people I know that does not try to change my hair in some way. Once I decided to accept what God had given me, I discovered a whole new me.
I was having to get it trimen al least ever couple of monthes to help with the damage. Now, I get it trimed mabye 2-3 times a year.

I also try to stay away from cone products, and pretty much anything that had alot of chemicals in it. I use a line caled Jason Naturals. You can get them at health food stores. Fred Meyer also carries it in the natural section. I like the sea kelp and the biotin.I only shampoo 2 times a week. I do co only washes the rest of the time. Jojoba oil could also help prevent breakage. I use it as a leave-in a couple of times a week, overnight. I also use it like a frizz ease serum. But a little goes a long way. 
As for he big spongey rollers, a drug store sholud have them

Sorry for the long post, I hope I helped you some.

Alisa06 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 10:09am
I have used Jason products as well.  I love the swimmer's shampoo!  But recently my sister bought the biotin shampoo and conditioner and I noticed they have cones.  I got to looking at the store and most of the Jason shampoos do contain them.  I didn't think they did before!
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 4:54pm
The biotin has one one cone.My hair seems to do ok with the one. Any more, and I don't like the way my hair is. My scalp also reacts to more cones. I have read were some people actually like the cones, and look for them. But then I have heard that silicone products with coat your hair while it is drying it underneath. I do pretty good with the biotin.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2006 at 11:16pm
Alisa -
Yes, the silicone builds up on the hair and eventually seals out the moisture.  I do know some long haired women who like cones.  My sister has been using the biotin shampoo for a couple months and loves it.  When I use a shampoo with even one cone I notice a difference in the way my hair behaves after only 2 or 3 washes.  It's whatever your hair responds to the best that you should use. 

Precious Girl -
If you find a shampoo or conditioner you think you might like, give it a try.  I know that can get expensive, but I try to use the whole bottle unless it's something I just can't stand.  If after several washes you decide you really don't like it, stop using it (give it to a friend or something) and try something else.  Don't be afraid to experiment with different products!  Remember which one gave the best results, take notes if you have to, and go with it.  You will eventually find the one that works best for your specific hair.  Good luck! Smile
sarah
40 inches
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 3:06pm
I also like the biotin. I do tend to change what I use alot though. I have used others whith two cones, or more, but I just don't like it. The biotin does have dimethicone. Any other ones and I don't like the results. I don't like Pantene, or any one like it. My hair gets really smooth, but after a few washes, my scalp starts to get really itchy, and I don't like the way my hair respnds. I have thought about making my own shampoos in the past.
 I guess you just have to find what works for you. I have gotten shampoos and conditioners in the past, only to use it a couple of times, and either through it out or give it to someone. If you find something you like, and it works for you, stick with it. At the moment, I really like the GROW line from Hair Formula 37. The only problem I am having is that I have alot of hair, and the bottles are kind of on the smaller end. I think I am going to just use them as like a treatment, a couple times aweek or so.

Alisa06
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
OJuliaDeeO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OJuliaDeeO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2006 at 6:22pm
My hair is very similar to your natural hair, except mine was a whole lot frizzier when dry. I also straightened my hair every day. But.... I stopped the heat....shampooed less...conditioned more... and my hair is no longer frizzy! It's natural waves are very pretty and I get lots of compliments! Just today I recieved a compliment that my hair was so soft. And that's only possible w/o heat. I would just reccommend to do what everyone is saying because it really works. Oh and btw like everyone else has been saying your natural hair looks great!Big%20smile
babycheeks24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babycheeks24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 9:40am
 I think your being over critical the natural hair is way better than the iron pressed hair, WAVES ARE IN!!!! If i were you id start buying products to enhance the waves so that they will look there best natural.:) I like your hair very pretty!
Babycheeks
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2006 at 9:05pm
I agree with babycheeks' sentiments.  Hair's natural texture (with or without product "enhancement") is best, whether it's straight, wavy or curly.  IMHO, of course.
Thisisniccy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thisisniccy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2006 at 9:13am
Originally posted by Precious Girl Precious Girl wrote:

Okay I have a question. Celebrities hair is always straightedened and blow dried and curled. How do they keep their hair healthy and shiny. I know they have tons of money and go to stylists but od nothing can help damage how do they do it? I want hair like this:

Is it attainable for me? How does she do it (or how do he stylists do it?)

NO YUOU CANNOT HAVE HAIR LIKE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE EXTENSIONS!
Her hair is FAKE, same with every other celeb.
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 5:30am
I too think you have beautiful natural hair! Forget the Adrianna lima look.She probably only styles her hair like that cuz it's so straight it wont do anything else.
Try converting to a big (2inches I think) curling iron. It wont curl your hair as much as just give a tiny bit of wave and smooth out the ends.
You only have to leave it on a second unlike flatirons that you must hold on the hair for several seconds if not minutes.
You really do have goregous hair though~like sherilyn Fenn (who you probably dont know who she is because you are young)Believe me,I'd kill to have hair like yours.
Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 11:49am
My name is Shera Lynn and her's is Sherilyn. They're similar.

Edited by Precious Girl - December 21 2006 at 1:08pm
March 2007:

Precious Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Precious Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 1:17pm
I know who she is! She is on Gilmore Girls and she was in an episode of Friends.
March 2007:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 2:49pm
 Well,when her hair was longer...she is a classic beauty.I would love to have hair like that. So full of body,anyone can have straight hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2006 at 6:16pm

Her hair like this...is just beautiful
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic