Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

does age matter with long hair?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 8:36pm
StyleGuy,

Perhaps you misunderstand my point. I'm not saying that that long-haired women believe the myth. I'm saying that they hear it spoken to them by others.

Originally posted by StyleGuy StyleGuy wrote:

Ironically, I believe that by giving the myth as much credence as you do, you do end up supporting their 'destructive expression'.

Again, perhaps you misunderstand my point...? I'm not saying that there is even a shred of truth to the myth, I'm merely stating that it seems to be widely-held among the population at large.

Although I will add that I believe the myth is beginning to fade...

It's a little like the lone cop, uncovered in the bad guys hideout. In desperation, he tries to convince the bad guys that there are legions of cops outside, just waiting to pounce. To the extent that he can convince the bad guys that they are surrounded, he may actually succeed in having the bad guys surrender their position.

It's a bit of a Straw Dog.

No, I don't believe that. I don't believe any of the women here is going to change their minds about having long hair because of this discussion. (laughs)

In my opinion, if your aim is to encourage women (or, indeed, men too) who want to keep their hair long, you'll focus on the positive support from this community, rather than the negative and inconsequential opinions of those that just don't matter.

One discussion on the topic does not constitute a "focus" on the issue. Offering suggestions on how to deal with receipt of such comments, if and when they come, does constitute helpful support. Taking a moment to think about it and prepare for it is not necessarily a bad thing.
Rod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2004 at 9:28pm
Age can matter with hair length. Some women don't look as good with long hair as they get older, but then some women don't look as good with short hair either. Some women look like they are desperately trying to hold on to youth, while others look, well, hot, hot, hot.

There should be no rule with women. The question should be, "Do I still look good with long hair?"

Interestingly, I can think of three friends who have had long hair as long as I've known them who've said they'd love to have short hair, but are afraid to commit. Each has said they'll cut it when they hit 30, 35, or 40. They want to see themselves with short hair, just not right now. I don't think hitting a certain birthday should be the reason to try out a different hairstyle. I'm sure they'd each look good with long hair at 40, just as they would with short hair now.

As for men, I think there isn't an age limit for long hair, but there is a hairline limit. When the hair line has receded really far, long hair just doesn't look good. I'll bet Dave will disagree with me, but there's my opinion.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 8:50am
Rod : I find some of the comment flawed. Long hair is not defined by the lifespan of your hairline, but if it is 2 bits short of a mullet, then it is ugly :P

Search for Jim Corcoran....fugly.
If I go out (I doubt, genetics so far are generous in that area) I'll go out with style :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2004 at 11:19am
Has everyone forgotten the other arguement? Lomg hair on a teenager makes them look like a little kid? So they cut it? And leave school then grow it? I haven't given in to this pressure, and won't.

Or is this just a Welsh thing?
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Rod Rod wrote:

As for men, I think there isn't an age limit for long hair, but there is a hairline limit. When the hair line has receded really far, long hair just doesn't look good. I'll bet Dave will disagree with me, but there's my opinion.

Hi Rod,

I don't disagree. How much did we make that bet for? I see a windfall on the horizon. Or was that merely for $1? (shades of "Trading Places")

Otherwise I generally agree with what you've said in your message, too. Whatever the person likes and wants, they should feel free to pursue without the burden of externally-applied pressures.

And enfys -- Teenagers look like teenagers, with long hair or short. That is quite a strange mindset among the teenagers in your area. I don't know if its prevalent here in the U.S., if so, it's just flawed.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2004 at 1:21pm
Long hair takes time to grow, so if any vision should be made, it's the opposite.

I'm always given about 23 for an age. (I'm 19). Then again, it isn't to bypass carding checks, since it's only 18 here anyways :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 4:18pm
I kind of agree about the teenager/cut/long hair thing enfys. Although most people just ask me how long did it take for your hair to grow that long, I've had people tell me to get layers and shorten it a bit and that I would look better with short hair. Also, all the fashion addicts in our school have identikit shoulder length choppy layers so I kind of stand out a bit with long, basically unstyled hair. 
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2005 at 6:38pm
I'm taking a class at the local university. There are 13 students in the class. I think two of the women are short/gray, A couple with natural hair. All the rest have streaky highlights.

Two sitting next to each other got their hair flat-razored with platinum, ash blond, ash brown, and weird red highlights. It doesn't look good on either of them.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic