Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Putting hair up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 2:44pm
What is classic length?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 5:35pm
Classic length is all the way down to the crease at the end of your bum. Where bum becomes thigh. I think it was originally supposed to be the length of Golden Proportion (approx 62%) for the body height. It's supposed to be the most eye-appealing and aesthetically pleasing length for hair. and ... IT'S MY HAIR GOAL!!! WHOOPEEE!
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 2:51pm
Ah, yes, AnaisSatin - I´m so with you here!

There is something about the beauty of classical lenght that makes the quest for it almost a religious/spiritual aesthetic journey. Like an act of reverence for natural/godgiven beauty. And I feel like what is standing in my way is civilization and the effects of it: pollution, dry indoor air, stress, chemichals, denutritionized foods, fashion, general peer pressure idiotia, etc.

This forum, however, is a haven from all that.

Maybe it´s the full moon - I feel more emotional today...

AngelFace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 7:45pm
first off, i'd like to say that, yes, scrunchies are way easier on the hair than rubberbands, but my friends would laugh me off the planet if they ever saw me wearing one in public.

okay, with that out of the way i'd like to give another alternative to wearing hair up without a ton of breakage. i'm a latina and a lot of us like to wear our hair very tight off our faces whether it's in a bun or a ponytail. naturally, this causes wispies and a lot of breakage in front after a while. what i realized could prevent this is parting your hair and then pulling it back instead of just gathering it all and pulling it straight back. i've been doing this for a while and my hair has really improved. sorry if someone said this already, i didn't really read all the replies *blushing* ..::vanessa::..
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 7:31pm
My hair is pretty long -- waist-length. It's very soft and silky, so I can't get it to stay in a high bun without a scrunchie, a chopstick or a pencil on hand. I can make a low bun (at the nape of the neck) quite securely without any hair holders. I twist the length of my hair tightly, then make a loop. I bring the end through the front of the loop, then around the back and through the front again. There are usually a few loose ends falling out, but I like how they look. I'm not sure if this would work as well on shorter hair -- I think that going through the loop twice is the key to securing it.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 7:36pm
On the subject of hair accessories for men -- I suggest soft suede covered pony tail holders. I use them almost everyday. I have them in a variety of shades from beige to dark brown. It looks good if you use a shade that blends with your hair colour. I'm a woman, but I think they would look great in a man's hair as well.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 11:08am
Hi korsakovhatt3 and vanessa - welcome!

korsakovhatt3, I see that glimpse of "soft and silky" hair in your avatar photo. Is that yours? Very pretty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 2:14pm
Hi Dave. That is my hair in the photo. Thanks for the compliment. Your hair, by the way, is spectacular.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2004 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by korsakovhatt3 korsakovhatt3 wrote:

Hi Dave. That is my hair in the photo. Thanks for the compliment. Your hair, by the way, is spectacular.

Thank you very much!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2004 at 6:05pm
I wear my hair up every day. When I do a braided 'do, I put the hair in a high pony first, but when I do a bun, I don't put it in a band at all.

My hair is too heavy and slippery, so I couldn't possibly keep it up without any pins. I use lots of pins. The more pins, the more evenly distributed the weight and stress is across my scalp. Now it's gotten to the point that I can keep it up perfectly all day, with no urge to take it down.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 1:44pm
eKatherine, do you mean Amish pins? I'm thinking of getting a pack for experimentation... SOMETHING has got to work for this slippery hair.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 3:45pm
You know guys, here is what I have found about slippery hair: If you plan to wear it up anyways, skip the conditioner. That´s what gives the hair all that slip, and that´s nice for wearing it loose, but to wear it up, more friction is helpful. Thus the "second-day" preference by hairdressers doing ballgown hairstyles. I have even seen products that take slip away and dirty hair down, while the customer feels like she´s getting a hairwash. There seems to be a lot of psychology involved here...

Going without conditioner makes it a bit harder to comb, but once it´s done, it´s done, and it sits beautifully all day.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 4:40pm
I agree with Viktoria.

Your hair might not have conditioner on it, but it won;t have other stuff on it either like spray.
Sometimes giving your hair a day or two of rest from all products is good for it. Give it a chance to breathe (not literally but let air touch it)

Remember less is more sometimes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 10:32pm
That makes sense... I wish I could have both good slip and updoability. I went coneless once and it did give good updo hold. But the weather here is just so extreme, that I don't dare go coneless very often (hair dries like the Charles D.ickens).

Anyone tried Amish pins?
my LJ, 40 inches long
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 7:27am
Oh, gosh, if I didn't use conditioner in my hair, it would be lots shorter and all broken at the bottom.

I don't use Amish hairpins, I use Bunheads, in both the medium and long lengths. You can get them at a dance supply shop. Lots of people have good luck with the Amish hairpins, but Bunheads are available to me locally.

I also use the short hairpins you can get at the supermarket, the strong ones, not the fine ones.

http://www.bunheads.com/producttext/3sizes_hairpins.html" target="_blank"> Bunheads hairpins

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 8:53am
What´s an Amish hairpin? Or a Bunhead, for that matter? I have ever only known the ordinary supermarket ones, that are bent in a deep u-shape and are a bit wavy. I did find longer ones at a special long hairdressers in Stockholm, but those pins are of poorer quality, alas.

Aren´t Amish those religious sectpeople you see in that Harrison Ford movie (name? can´t remember)?

Great picture, AnaisSatin! O god, you ALL have such fabulous hair!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 1:56pm
I'm with you, eKatherine. I once made the mistake of going without conditioner. Big mistake. My hair was unmanageable. Could not get a comb through it. (BTW, your hair is gorgeous!)

Anais Satin, is that your beautiful hair in your avatar photo? Wow, so glossy!

Feeling like showing a pic of your hair worn loose, Viktoria?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2004 at 9:39pm
I agree with you, Dave, I'd like to see Viktoria's hair loose. I'm sure it would be beautiful.

I don't know what Amish hair pins are either. I keep my hair up securely with a wooden stick. I don't know if they have a proper name, but they're about 8 inches long, rounded and tapered to a pointed end. I have quite a few of them in different woods with bone and nacre inlays on the wide end. (I don't like hairpins; I like to be able to let my hair down quickly without having to pull out a bunch of pins.) I just put my hair in a bun (starting with a ponytail in a no-snag ponytail holder) and weave the stick in and out of the base of the ponytail to secure the bun. If I want a tighter bun I use the stick with a leather bun holder.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2004 at 9:45pm
Thanks for the hair compliments everybody! (This is the first few days of having a hair photo online and such good juju from board members... and it was funny when a member mistook the half-up pic for a cat, so I switched it to a full bun! I thought that was soo hilarious and cute.) And FINALLY something keeps my hair up! Wavy, crimped, or corkscrew hairsticks!!!!

Viktoria--from what I've seen of Amish pins, they're the kind that are bent in a U shape but have no crimping. They are 2-3 inches long and are supposed to be more durable than normal hair pins.

Well eKatherine, I went on the Bunheads site (I see direct links don't work on HB anymore. It confused me for awhile) and those hair pins are fantastic : ) They also have a store locator.. and [dunn dun dunnnnn] there's a Dance store 3 minutes from my apartment! Off to buy hair pins... Thanks eKatherine!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2004 at 10:00am
Your hair is so pretty ,Anais. I love it.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic