Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tangles! HELP!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tangles! HELP!!
    Posted: January 31 2005 at 10:39am
Hi. MY HAIR GETS SO TANGLED! I have 2-week old fusion extensions. The hair I got was supposedly really high quality (some name like Damon & Darber ??? anyone know?) but I look like a freakin lion it gets so tangley. I use a lot of conditoner on the end when I wash it and I use Biosilk and shine spray. Yet even if I'm just sitting it seems to get tangled and poofy. My fiance it always patting my hair down when we go out now because he says it is frizzy and sticking up. What in the world is going on?? Any (inexpensive) suggestions to help this?? Maybe it's just because my hair is so long and thick now?? When I first got them they were soft like my real hair and I could aways run my fingers through it and now if I'm not careful I'll pull the extension out along with my hair at the roots (I've done that about 5 times now - it freakin hurts!) HELP!!
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 10:49am
Did you get them done at a salon chick, sounds like silicone coated hair to me, with you saying it was lush to begin with and now its tangling, otherwise, I'd do a treatment on it.xx
maliburum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maliburum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 10:56am
what type of treatment would you suggest for tangly hair?
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:02am
No I did not get it done at a salon - it was by a friend of my sister-in-law who is only 16 - she is just learning how to do it. It is real human hair. It it still soft but it just gets totally tangled on it's own (literally - I sit here all day at work doing nothnig and it gets tangled out of nowhere!!). What kind of treatment do you mean??
It's hard to like it
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 11:44am
And does anyone have any idea what brand of hair I am talking about?? It's something like Damon & Garber or Darbon & Damon - I don't know if it was pretipped by them or the woman she got them from had pretipped them...

Anyway - it is like extra EXTRA tangled today - it's either b/c I washed my hair last night (didn't do anything different than normal) or it's just the sweater I'm wearing....I have no idea. But help - please! I've pulled like 5 out just today because even when I brush it I'm pulling them out at the root - not just the extension. AHH!!
It's hard to like it
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 1:39pm
You know what you have to do.

They've had tangling problems from the beginning and now your own hair is coming out.

Please take them out right away. This is how the horror stories of people losing half (or more) of their hair begin.

girl7 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote girl7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 1:52pm
it's not good hair. thats the problem. youre doing everything right but theyre tangling on their own because theyre cheap hair and the cuticle has been ruined because of too much chemicals. when the cuticles gone or facing opposite ways the hair tangles like crazy. the risk is you will ruin your own hair by overbrushing.
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 2:47pm
I bet money its silicone coated hair.

you mentioned conditioning your hair like crazy... how often are you washing it? when you have extensions you shouldnt wash more then once or twice a week.

either way, sounds like the cuticals arnt facing the same direction and thats whats creating tangles.

if your own hair is coming out, then you need to take it out before oyu get thining/broken hair, or bald spots.

next batch of hair you get, get either good quality synth, which is about the same $$ amount as cheap human hair, or get cutical hair, which can run about $120 a batch, or more.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 2:48pm
I know exactly what you are describing. The problem is the hair is not going in one direction with all the root ends at one end, so once the silicone coating washes off, the hair acts like velcro, catching on each other. This means it is not good hair, no matter what they told you and no matter what you paid. I know the feeling of sitting there and having your hair matt up into a ball at the back of your head.
Take them out before you pull your real hair out. It's not worth it.
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 2:52pm
This totally sucks. I'm so upset. I wanted to have these in for my wedding!!! :-( And I don't trust this girl now to take them out. She's supposed to re-bond them next week...maybe I just blow-dryed it not carefully enough last night...OK OK so I'm in denial. Even when I conditioned last night in the shower I couldn't run my fingers through it and I brushed it before I got in the shower. That's never happend before. My sister-in-law has hers done too and she got them 3 weeks before mine and she has barely lost any and isn't having any of the same problems I am. Hers is a different color but that's about the only difference. Man I am so upset. What a waste of $250 (atleast it wasn't $1000+ but nevertheless I'm not made of money).

BTW I only wash my hair twice a week. It hasn't been this bad until this last wash. Also, I've been getting a lot of split ends on the fake hair. The reason it falls out at the root is because even when I hold it in a ponytail and brush it, it pulls so hard it rips my hair out. So far it's just hair underneath.

And does anyone know what brand this might be (see above for my guesses LOL). I want to look it up and figure out what this crap hair is. Thanks!!
It's hard to like it
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 3:56pm
Sorry for my billions of posts on one thread.

How would I take them out anyway?? I don't want that girl to get close to my hair anymore!
It's hard to like it
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 4:00pm
it doesnt seem to be the bonds that are the problem, just the hair, and she didnt make the hair, so I wouldnt ward her off with a cross and cloves of garlic. remember shes just a kid and you let her get that close in the first place. its just crappy hair, happens to the best of us.

but if you want to take them out yourself go to a beauty supply store and get acetone remover. use a cotten swab to apply the acetone to the bonds, wait a few minutes, and you can crush them with pliers. you will also have to do a lot of picking. and it takes hours. just preparing you.

good luck.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 4:21pm
In order not to pull your hair out, try Goldwell Kerasilk Rich Care conditioner - just get the small tube around $8, wet your head and slather it on your extension hair. Either sit under a dryer for 5 minutes or so or heat it up with a blowdryer - then use a wide tooth comb to get out the snarls. Rinse a little at that point to loosen the mats a bit. Then you can rinse the conditioner out. It will condition the hair temporarily - at least enough for you to get it out of your real hair without going bald. I used this recently to soften up the mangled mess I had going and it worked well. Good luck.
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 4:55pm
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely try it. If there is ANY WAY I can save this mess I will do it. I'm going to try straightening it tonight with some serum to see if that helps even a little bit.

Where can I find Goldwell Kerasilk Rich Care conditioner?? At Sally's or Ulta or Sephora?
It's hard to like it
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 5:01pm
Not Sally's...don't know about Sephora but I think they're primarily makeup.
I got it at one of those higher-end BSS here in Pasadena, but I've seen Goldwell carried at lots of places. Just call around and see who carries Goldwell.
Don't put any chemicals on that hair - it will just mess it up further. This conditioner will help, but not fix it permanently. There IS no permanent fix, sory to say.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 5:38pm
First off, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I've had a few batches of crappy hair before, and many batches of mediocre hair, so I can relate and empathize. It's unfortunate, but if the hair is bad, there really isn't much you can do. And it's also true that with that amount of overbrushing, tangling, and matting, you could jeopardize the health of your real hair.

That said, for $250--for the installation and the human hair--you would'nt have gotten much better quality hair from anyone. Kristin's are the most reasonable prices I think I've ever heard of, and she's more expensive than that. The fact is, most of the hair on the market is cuticle stripped or cuticles facing every which way, and if you want good human hair, it'll cost you a lot more.

What I would recommend, if you're planning on wearing extensions for your wedding, is to buy a better batch of human hair or synth and go back to the girl and have her replace them. Obviously, she is young and doesn't know much about hair quality. Hopefully, the removal will go well. If you have problems during the removal, call it off--it's time to consult an expert.

What kind of timeframe are you dealing with here? When are you getting married? Are you anywhere near Kristin (I don't know California very well); maybe she could help you?

:)
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 5:52pm
Thanks for all of your help and comments!! Kristin is right in my area and depending on the price I will probably go to her before my wedding (it's in August). I'm going to try to straighten them right now with some serum (I usually do that I just didn't have time last night after washing). Maybe that will help for the meantime. When I get a chance I will post some pictures of my lions mane/rats nest. :-) Thanks again though for all your help!!
It's hard to like it
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 6:09pm
I, for one, would really appreciate it if you posted your pics. I really think people need to know more about how crappy bad human hair really is. Of course, I'm sure it looked nice when you first got it...that's the thing, it's so hard to tell.... I've been seriously burned myself :)
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 8:02pm
I had the same exact problem from hair I got online (I wont say from whom) and since it was my first stab at extensions I thought the condition was my fault. I emailed the company I got the hair from and they told me it was my fault and gave me a list of hair care products to get. I spent another $50 on top of the $300 I had already spent on hair and supplies. THEN I found these forums and found out, it wasnt me, it was crappy hair. After doing hours and hours of research Ive learned that it needs to have the cuticles all going in the same direction or it will tangle horribly.

Here is a link to a site I found that has some good sounding products on it. The first chance I get Im going to order these three products. I HAVE NOT TRIED THEM YET, so I dont know if they work or not.

http://www.hairlossforum.net/hr/accessories_others.htm

Untangler
Synthetic Fiber Softener
HPH Silk Mink Hair Softener
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2005 at 9:43pm
OMG Emma you're so right. Before I found these forums, I was sure I just wasn't doing something right or was negligent in some way. It's only been the past 2 years or so I figured there was NO WAY I could be responsible for the thrashed condition of my extension hair...especially since my real hair was just fine! It was pitiful, really. I am so grateful I stumbled upon this forum by total accident - and especially for all the terrific advice, insight and inspiration from everyone who posts here! It's like a miracle. I've learned more here in the past week than I have in 15 yrs of wearing extensions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic