Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

++ SETTING UP THE NEW ARCHIVE ++

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ++ SETTING UP THE NEW ARCHIVE ++
    Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:18am

Whew, girls! I feel like I’ve just given birth. Before you know it, a simple FAQ/Archive turns into the Manhattan Project.

I put together some standalone threads for the archive. There are so many good ones, but these seemed to be the most self-contained and/or helpful for beginners. In some cases, I couldn’t include some great advice because photos and links were broken, etc., or the information was simply spread out among too many threads. Anyway, I’m emailing all this info with the necessary links to Karen later today. If you want to add things I’ve left out, PLEASE EMAIL KAREN WITH YOUR IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS. If you want me to make changes to this, just post below. This isn’t conclusive at all, but I think it’s a good start.

THREADS to archive as standalones:

Methods Overview (formerly “Bridget Your Question is Here”):

Extensions 101 Thread for Beginners:

The Buyer Beware Thread:

Tips for Cutting Extensions:

SAS’s Compare Company Products and Save:

Metalgirl’s Clip-In Techniques:

AMM’s Pretipping Technique:

Kalika’s Prelayering Method:

Mocha’s Revitalizing Liquid Glue

SAS’s Treating Unprocessed Indian Hair:

Bridget’s Pretipping with Shrinks on the Weft:

Sherrie’s Sandwich Weft Technique

Gina’s Pretipping on the Weft

Beyond that, I’ve created a FAQs Kiosk, where the questions are followed by relevant links. Here are the categories and questions (more like statements in many cases, LOL).

FAQs Kiosk

GENERAL TOPICS

I’m new to extensions. Where can I get a basic overview?

What’s everyone’s favorite method?

What’s everyone’s favorite hair?

I’m interested in extensions, but I have concerns about growth, damage, and safety.

Is it possible to wear your hair up with extensions?

My hair’s very short. Would extensions work for me?

Are extensions suitable for people with thinning hair, hairloss, and/or severe damage?

INSTALLATION METHODS

How do I do the back of my head?

I need some help with the application patterns and placement.

How much hair do I need to buy and install?

What’s the difference between extendtubes and microrings?

I want to learn more about extendtubes/microrings.

How do I install microlinks/microrings/extendtubes?

What are microillusions?

What are shrinkies?

Are there any viable “shrink” alternatives to Doc’s shrinkies?

Where do I buy a fusion wand/heat clamp to use with shrinkies, and what should I look for?

How do woven tracks work?

What’s the Malaysian method?

How does fusion and fusion purging work?

What’s the Dome/heat-sealing method, and is it suitable for DIY?

What does a weave look like?

How does Great Lengths work?

What’s Cold Fusion?

PRETIPPING

What kinds of glues can I use for pretipping?

Can you give me any tips to make pretipping quicker and easier?

BULK HAIR CHALLENGES

I can’t deal with bulk hair. Help!

What are drawing mats, blending boards, and hackles, and how can I use them to blend bulk hair?

TROUBLESHOOTING

How do I get glue residue, wefts, and/or strand extensions out of my hair?

I got some terrible hair that’s tangling like crazy. Can anyone help?

My shrinkies aren’t shrinking or removing right. What am I doing wrong?

HUMAN HAIR

I’m confused by all the terminology of human hair. What’s the difference between cuticle, non-cuticle, remi, remy, raw, virgin, etc.? What’s the best HH to buy?

I’m thinking about ordering human hair off eBay. Should I?

Can I dye my human-hair extensions?

SYNTHETIC HAIR

I’m thinking of switching from human to synth. Should I?

How do I select, install, style, and care for synth hair?

What’s thermofiber?

Is it possible to dye synth?

I need help with the PlastikHaar colors.

SUPPLIES, TOOLS, AND ACCESSORIES

I want to use the best products to care for my extensions. Can you give me some product recommendations?

PIECES, CLIPS, AND OTHER OPTIONS

What are hair halos, wigs, T-closers, falls, and pieces? And would they work for me?

How do I order, install, or make my own clip-in extensions?

How do custom hairpieces work?

SHOWING OFF

What do the other members’ extensions look like?

FOR STYLISTS

How do extensions contracts work?

I’m interested in getting licensed or taking an extensions class.

####

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:27am
Hmm...come to think of it, I'm going to add some info on pinchbraids.

Rae: Can I link it up directly to your site?

:)
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:28am
Jenn...You need to add your quick and dirty bulk pretipping!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:36am
You know, Gina, I think it's in the pretipping section of the FAQ's actually. I'll probably just leave it there since my tips weren't the most, um, uniform or attractive, lol!

Honestly, there's so much friggin' information here, it's overwhelming. I think at least having it sectioned out a bit will help people to find what they're looking for. Even so, they're going to have to wade a bit. I think there were like 50 threads on shrinkies alone. Whew....

I created that show-offs section with links to (hopefully) everyone's pics. I wonder if the admin could watermark them as "Hair Talk" photos.... I'm getting worried about them getting stolen. I imagine we can all go into our individual images and do that though.

Nevermind me...just babbling to myself at this point...

sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 6:51am
Jenny you are awesome and Thank You.....for all that you do for this board. I for one want to say how much I appreciate all of your efforts!
Amanda8Beechwoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8Beechwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 7:11am

You are the best Jenny.  We should have one called "an ode to Jenny" LOL xxx

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:03am
Wow that about covers it.  I'm not sure what we're going to have left to talk about over here...
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:03am

Hi Jenny:

This is really great. A while back as I was trying to learn as much as possible I was thinking how great it would be if these things were organized. . .so THANKS.

Just a few comments:

-There doesn't seem to be a "how to install with Shrinkies" specifically.

-Should there *specifically* be a "Removal" section?

Just my 2 cents. . .thanks again. . .

Fina

Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 9:43am

"Wow Jen, YOU DA BOMB!"  You've been a busy little bee!  Thanks so much for doing this... what would we do with out you!  This is so cool... To make your job easier, you could deligate of few tasks, if you need to.  I'll help in any way that I can. 

What about testimonials about HH brands and the companies and their customer service?

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 1:43pm
Fina: The only step-by-step Shrinkie installation/removal demo I know of is Doc's, but it's true: That's a key demo, so I'll link it up. AMM did provide removal photos too, so lemme see if I can hook that up too.

Bridget: Definitely--delegation would be awesome. It just so happened that I had a lot of extra time to put this together this week, but hopefully others can take the reigns from here and perhaps get more into depth on certain topics. Your idea for companies/customer service would be great. Perhaps you want to create a thread for that, going through past threads and cutting/pasting or whatever, then email it to Karen.

Also, since everyone here seems to have an area (if not several areas) of expertise, perhaps some of the regulars would be willing to create more specific FAQs in those areas of expertise. For example, Sherrie (glues, placing overseas orders, bonded wefts); AMM (shrinkies, thermofibers, Glamourhair); Metalgirl (clip-ins, MB shrink links, full weaves, Extensions-Plus); Kristin (strand fusion, microrings, Bohyme); Rae (microringed wefts, pinchbraids, heat-seals); Gina (cutting and styling techniques, pretipping, microrings); Leia (dyeing human and synthetic, making falls, OPH); SAS (unprocessed Indian hair, weaving techniques, custom hairpieces, lace-fronts); Miamigirl (toppers); Emma (wigs, halos, stock pieces); Syren (hairpieces, fusion, synth comparisons); Amanda (shrinkies, Bohyme); Kalika (synth comparisons, layered pretipping, shrinkies); Mocha (pretipping, glues, shrinkies); Fina (synth styling, heat-seals); Mer (care products, brushed, and pinchbraids); Shel (weaves and fusion); Kimbearly (human hair, unprocessed hair, clip-ins); SPP (human hair, installation placement); Rose (microrings, curls, synth and human) etc., etc., etc. These are just the names/areas I can think of offhand, so I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of people and getting a lot of this wrong (and I apologize), but it's just a few ideas.

OK, I'm sending these off to Karen now, so send any changes/additions/suggestions/ideas/new threads to her.

shel221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shel221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:00pm

Jenny you are awsome! This will be great! Im pretty new to the site but i already feel that the same questions keep on propping up so imagine how you senior members feel probably being asked the same things day after day.  I just hope everyone uses them

(lol)

xx

zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:16pm
Hey Jenny- yes, you can link to the pinchbraid tutorial.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:21pm

Hi Jenny,

I will work on this over the weekend.  I suspect this will a work in progress.  :-)

Thanks for all your time and energy spent in getting all of this great info together.  I will do my best to organize it so that it is easy to find and everyhing gets moved appropriately.

Please...anyone else...if you have suggestions & thank you Rae for letting us link up to pinchbraids.

Karen

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2005 at 4:53pm
Thanks, Rae. Done and done.

Will send it to you shortly as a MS word attachment via my hotmail, Karen. Just let me know if it makes sense.

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 1:13pm
Jenny, way to go, girl!  I will definitely help you however I can.  Sorry I haven't been around much lately...I started a new job and it is craaaaazy.   I'll start working on my assigned topics, ma'am.  =)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 3:05pm
Thanks, Leia. It would be great if you could add some things to the archive, but don't feel obligated at all. Everyone is, of course, really busy, and I didn't mean to suggest that I was assigning anything to anyone. Fortunately, I had a lot of time this week, but if it had been a busier week for me, there's no way I would've been able to do this much.

For those who want to contribute to it, though, and who have the free time, it'd be great. I mentioned your name in conjunction with dyeing because I know you've given a lot of great color advice and it seems we're getting a ton of questions about dyeing extensions, both human and synthetic--and of course, the OPH, which you discovered, along with falls, because (I believe) I remember that you've made them. But again, my memory may be a bit shoddy here...gettin' old.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:08pm
Hey Jenny, I'm not so sure I'm in a posotion to write any FAQ about Shrinkies but the others definitely and a few that don't come up asoften as well. 

Should we post our assignments/contributions here or send them to you for compiplation or?
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 5:16pm
Jenny, I will certainly try to find some time to post some useful info and faqs in the weft bonding thread. Lately I seem to only find time to log on a for a few minutes at a time throughout the day. But in about a week I should have more free time. I do have alot of useful info to post in that area! And again Jenny....THANK YOU so much for all the effort that you give to this board. It wouldnt be what it is without you!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:45pm
Thanks, girls. But really, all I've done is compile this stuff--all the great information, tips, and tutorials have come from everyone over the past six months or so. I've just put it (hopefully) into a bit more order.

I think it would be great if you wanted to help out, Mocha. I think maybe the best way to proceed is for you, and anyone who's interested, to  just list here (on this thread) what they intend to put together (so we're not duplicating our efforts), and then, as people have the time, they can send their completed threads to Karen.

As for me, I won't be putting together anything new for awhile. Instead, my plan is to 1) test these new kiosk links once they're posted because I'm sure I've made some errors as I compiled it pretty quickly; 2) update the "Bridget/Overview" thread, since it's a little outdated at this point; 3) update the Extensions 101 thread; and 4) perhaps update the FAQs kiosk once a month with the new information that's been posted within the month. It's amazing how quickly something new shows up on the scene and renders the other stuff obsolete.

mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2005 at 8:55pm
Okay here's what I can make nice neat info about. 

Pretipping - particularly bulk hair, including prerazoring
latex glue vs LG vs of all things Hot glue (for microring pretips)
Reusing hair to make falls
Non Docs Non Kristins Shrinkies (what does and doesn't work if you are using industrial shrink tubing)
How to make your gummed up LG come back to life
Making Clip ins

I know that there are others who can do several of these so If they want them they are more than welcome.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic