Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Record on the Russian?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Record on the Russian?
    Posted: July 20 2007 at 9:36am
Those of you currently wearing the Russian hair or those that have worn it in the past I am wondering what is the record on length of time you were able to go before needing new hair. I mean needing new hair, not wanting new hair.

I ask because this hair seems so healthy it would go on indefinitely and never need replacing. Im sure ALL extension hair has its limits especially if you are doing heavy duty coloring or a lot of heat styling etc...but what is the longest you have gone not needing to replace the Russian?
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 11:34am
I think until it starts getting split ends and you've trimmed it as much as you wanted to, is when you would need to replace it. But that goes for any virgin hair.

krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2007 at 11:54am
Right. I have been using a leave in on the ends and that seems to keep them nice but eventually they might start getting ragged.
mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 2:59am
The color has a lot to do with longevity. If it has been bleached of course it's not going to last as long as virgin hair. Virgin actual hand tied wefts can last up to 2 years, sometimes more...It depends if the hair was hand tied correctly, and taken care of properly.  Blonde colors usually last about a year, sometimes more, depending if the hair was lightened cautiously, and not over doing the bleach. Personally, I have never had a problem with split ends.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 6:51am
yeah, very true. I think how the Russian works at least where i bought it from is they have certain virgin colors ranging from dark brown up to virgin blonde and also virgin auburn. So its only 5 base colors that are natural. If you want a paler blonde than what they have virgin, they take that blonde and then lighten it and change it to what you want.
malibu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2007 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by mokipono mokipono wrote:

Personally, I have never had a problem with split ends.
Really? what's your secret?Smile

mokipono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mokipono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 2:31am
Hi Malibu,
When I buy hair for wefts I always order a bit longer than what I will need. As soon as I am finished making the weft I trim 2 inches off. I don't know why split ends don't happen for me. I always suggest the client DOES NOT trim her own hair. That way it blends better into the weft with no straight across cut line in the hair. Maybe my clients have split end problems, and just don't tell me? I don't know....
Although, Indian hair has a BIG problem with split ends. Let me paraphrase before anyone lets the attack dogs out on me. Not every single pony tail from India has split ends, just most of them, sorry, it's true.
If you are not sure about the quality of  hair you have.......Let me paraphrase, I am sure what you have is wonderful 100% virgin Russian European hair! This tip is not about any ones quality of hair. All the Russian hair I've seen, including Genes, has been absolutely beautiful, and obviously Russian hair.
To find out for sure if you have Russian hair....Bleach a strip of hair from roots to ends. Russian hair will always be darker at the roots lighter on the ends, and Indian hair will always be lighter at the roots darker at the ends. I've never done this test with processed hair so I'm not sure if it will work, but I think it probably won't matter. Another difference in hair....occasionally when bleaching Indian hair it will get really hot for a while. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's always the Indian hair.
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2007 at 5:56am
Interesting. I think the Indian hair splits up so much because it’s normally processed and the cuticle layer stripped. I could be wrong but all I know is even the brand new Indian hair is no where near this texture.

If I had slightly thicker, courser hair, I would probably love the Indian texture and wear it all the time. But I have that silky fine thin mop so I NEED the Russian. It blends the best. It’s not even a blend per se; it just looks like my hair disappears into it. I’m thrilled and never got that with Indian or Asian hair.

I’m guessing this is real Russian hair because yes, when I look at it, the top is darker and the ends a little redder. Not much but you can see it. Even if it wasn’t Russian, I would say tell me what this hair is and I will never buy anything else lol.
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 3:44am
Originally posted by krimsa krimsa wrote:

Interesting. I think the Indian hair splits up so much because it’s normally processed and the cuticle layer stripped. I could be wrong but all I know is even the brand new Indian hair is no where near this texture.
Not all Indian hair is processed and stripped.. There are PLENTY of available options for unprocessed Indian hair..
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 7:57am
I’m sure there is. I did not mean to imply ALL Indian hair is cuticle stripped and processed. I believe GL makes the claim their Indian hair is virgin. They refer to it as "Virgin Indian Temple Hair" I think. But I did try GL and the hair was nice to start off with and then went down hill quickly and I ended up throwing away this expensive hair after 3 months wear. I noticed it lost shine and became tangly after about a month and I was shampooing once a week with a sulfate free gentle shampoo so for me, it could very well just be a texture mismatch. That’s all I’m saying and sorry.
kristiemlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristiemlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 8:24am
Krimsa, Do you wear the hand tied Russian hair from Gene?
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 8:36am
Is it okay for me to answer that or I need to private you? I dont want drama lol.
Divavocals View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divavocals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:00am

I’m sure there is. I did not mean to imply ALL Indian hair is cuticle stripped and processed. I believe GL makes the claim their Indian hair is virgin. They refer to it as "Virgin Indian Temple Hair" I think. But I did try GL and the hair was nice to start off with and then went down hill quickly and I ended up throwing away this expensive hair after 3 months wear. I noticed it lost shine and became tangly after about a month and I was shampooing once a week with a sulfate free gentle shampoo so for me, it could very well just be a texture mismatch. That’s all I’m saying and sorry.
GL's only real claim on "Virgin Indian Temple Hair" is how the hair starts out.. All the literature on their site seems pretty upfront about the fact that they do proces the hair for color, and texture. GL isn't exactly sharing their process, but based on the latest reports apparently their processes are doing some level of damage to the hair which shortens it's lifespan.. However, all hair processed for color or texture isn't destined to become dry and tangly.. Just like chemically processed natural hair, I imagine it depends on the method used to process the hair.. Chemically processed hair isn't automatically cuticle stripped hair..

Edited by Divavocals - July 23 2007 at 10:01am
Check out the 5th So Cal offline luncheon?? For more info: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com/lunch.html

Links to my fav vendors & hair albums + Weave 101 information: divahairtalk.overthehillweb.com
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 10:15am
I see. I guess i was a little annoyed though with the cost of GL hair and expected more out of it as far as longevity. Its really neither here nor there though. Im stuck with that bill on plastic now! lol. I am just happy I found something that worked for me personally.

Im not saying no way to Indian or Asian hair ever again also. What i was thinking i might even do at some point is maybe one weft of really nice virgin Indian if i could get my hands on some and then 2 wefts of Russian on the top levels. My thinking on that is the Indian would give it slightly more body underneath and then have the Russian layers up top. I dunno. maybe at some point.

Edited by krimsa - July 23 2007 at 10:45am
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:17pm

I see. I guess i was a little annoyed though with the cost of GL hair and expected more out of it as far as longevity. Its really neither here nor there though. Im stuck with that bill on plastic now! lol. I am just happy I found something that worked for me personally.

Im not saying no way to Indian or Asian hair ever again also. What i was thinking i might even do at some point is maybe one weft of really nice virgin Indian if i could get my hands on some and then 2 wefts of Russian on the top levels. My thinking on that is the Indian would give it slightly more body underneath and then have the Russian layers up top. I dunno. maybe at some point.

Hey Girlie. I've bought very fine very silky virgin Indian remy hair. It will match ANY fine caucasian textured hair.
I do not believe that most hair labeled as Russian is truly Russian anyway. I think it's just plain fine textured hair, it's just a marketing ploy. Women hear Russian and lose the dang on minds. Why Russian, why not French or Canadian or British or American, how would we know. European? Maybe. Russian only? Please!

Find some fine textured hair and save yourself some money. They're probably using the same fine textured Indian remy I bought and quaddrupled the price!!
ALL EYES ON ME
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:21pm
Oh and to add a little P.S. to the subject?
 Some black girls have very fine very silky hair that could be used by white girls with fine silky hair for extensions tooShocked
ALL EYES ON ME
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:28pm
MsHoney, I dont care if this hair came off mules on a good diet in South America. Its is the best fine textured closest match to my own I have ever found. Its called Russian so what else are ya gonna call it? Ive worn Indian. Ive worn Asian and it has not lasted for me. This hair is like night and day in comparison. That is just fact.

If you told me this hair was Indian, I would say, great, where do I get more. I could not care less what title it has only that it works for me.
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:45pm

they can call it what it is, fine textured hair. If you want to pay for a title more power to you, knock yourself out. But for those of you who just want hair that matches your hair's texture you CAN find less expensive hair that will match just as well and please remember it's just hair and somebody elses hair at that!!!!

We need to stop tripping and stop acting like it's the second coming of Christ. There are girls here who get great matches from synth hair too and are very happy with it. When it starts defining who we are then we need to take a step back and reevaluate because something is very very wrong.
IT'S JUST HAIR!!! I know women who've had various forms of hair loss and don't act as crazy as some women here do about HAIR that came off of some other womans head!!!
ALL EYES ON ME
krimsa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 12:56pm
Okay point taken. Im sorry if it was misinterpreted that way. Its just nice hair and thats ALL it is. Lord, if i could find ANY other type hair that worked as well for me (once again ME) then I would be buying and wearing that. MSHoney I always like your input and you are very on top of the industry and know your stuff so I have the UTMOST respect for your opinion and Im sorry if I offended you or anyone else. I would just shut the thread down if its bothering people but Im not a mod and such.

Edited by krimsa - July 23 2007 at 12:58pm
Ms.Honey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ms.Honey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 1:10pm
I'm just a girl who wears extensions like the other girls here. I glad you love your hair. It just pisses me off when SOME of these distributors use false advertising and women get ripped off.
ALL EYES ON ME
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic