Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PH/Dome Install #2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 2:43pm
Thanks again, girls. You're sweet.

Kirsty: PH is PlastikHaar--it's a high-quality synthetic fiber, like Dome, Prostyles, Trimco, etc. This is the 50mm wave, which is basically the loosest wave, but there are tighter waves and curls, as well as a straight texture available. If you like synth or want to give it a try, I really recommend it--it's $13 a bag and comes in more colors than any other synth I know of. The hair is superlong, like 40 inches or so, so you can double it over, cut it to make more pieces, etc. Plus, their customer service is outstanding.

SPP: No--it's pretty far from my real color. I've been lifting my hair for years, so it's hard to know what my real color is, but I think it's a dirty blonde/light brown, level 6 or 7; it lightens very easily. For years, I used Perference by Loreal Level 10 Lightest Natural Blonde, which got me really, really light and actually isn't bleach--just a high-lift peroxide--works in 25 minutes. But last year I switched to Feria 205, which is a bleach mix that works in about 45 minutes and produces a slightly lighter, whiter result that doesn't seem to oxidize as fast. I was worried that I'd get more damage with the bleach, but my hair's always been so damaged anyway, and I don't think the peroxide is much gentler, to tell you the truth. The key with either, of course, is not overlapping--I'm still working on getting that one down, lol!

:)
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 2:43pm
shel, a lot of us were 100% HH users until just recently. I personally
had never tried synth and was adamantly against it because I always
thought it was too fake looking and rough.

With the new thermofibers and now Dome, ProHair & Plastikhaar,
we're converting over. What a relief to pay under $20 for hair now
when I was shelling out $200 and up for what frequently turned out
to be garbage that couldn't be worn for more than a few months.

I think boogiemama's site with all the synth pictures is what really
convinced me to try synth. Take a look at the pics under the
synthetic link...they're awesome and none of them are HH.

Boogiemama
- synth pics

Edited by amm
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 9:34pm
Jenny, it's great!  I think it looks a little more natural with more thinned-out ends.  But no pink?  I was hoping for some wild colors, woman!

And slightly OT...by oxidising, are your saying the blonde goes yellowish?  If so, I'd say try a little ArTec White Violet shampoo (I could even send ya the half-bottle I have, since I've returned to a level 2 brown and don't need it).
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 9:37pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Artec White Violet! It's the Shizzil dizzil!

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 9:51pm
Thanks, Leia--you're sweet. And yeah, by "oxidizing," I mean it goes brassy and fades a bit.

But actually, I'm having no oxidation problems anymore since I switched from the peroxide to the bleach. This stuff (the Feria 205) makes my hair pretty white, and the synth is, of course, as white as I want it to be. Occasionally, I'll use some Shimmer Lights shampoo, but I can't use it more than once a week, or I wind up with purple hair, lol. Lately, I haven't even been using that because my hair doesn't really get brassy. I've heard the ARTec is amazing, though.

Again, it's funny: I really don't think the bleach is doing any more damage than the peroxide did, and it's yielding a better color (at least for me, since I like the more unnatural, cooler platinum tones). For years, I thought--and many hairdressers told me--that I was being more gentle using the peroxide. But maybe once you get into that high-lift, 10 range, it's all pretty much the same. Rick the Chemist, over on goingblonde.net, told me the peroxides can be deceiving--the damage comes more from overprocessing/overlapping than the actual bleach or peroxide itself. Apparently, the ammonia has a lot to do with it. (Clearly, I'm getting way out of my depth here.)

Yeah, next time some crazy colors, definitely. I'm torn between blue and pink. Decisions, decisions........

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 10:05pm
I vote for the eisblau...a nice cool blonde and baby blue 'do for summer.  =)
mochachip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mochachip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 10:10pm
Rick the chemist is awesome.  I was about to ask what the ingredientsin Feria 205 were so I could cross reference with what i've learned from him and know of chemistry myself.  But alas you have found him already.

I'm amazed how well your hair lifts(both the color and how even it is).  But then everyone's is different.  A seven is about all my hair can handle before it just can't handle the bleach.  Then again I'm about a two or three naturally and that's a long way to go.

But isn't the point that regardless of how you get there your hair looks fabu!  Yes, I thought it was.  Be brave add the colors next time.  If you end up feeling awkward you can always take them out.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by mochachip mochachip wrote:

I'm amazed how well your hair lifts(both the color and how even it is).  But then everyone's is different.

It's true. My hair lifts very easily, but it's pretty light to begin with. Here's a photo of my roots:

So I'm lifting it a fair amount, but it's still pretty doable. I've tried to use the Feria stuff on my boyfriend (who's like a level 2 or 3), and the result was a totally uneven, Ronald McDonald red, so....

The results are always even on me--there's no variation in the lift at all; the same was always true of the peroxide. The only problem is, with the bleach, I tend to miss spots, because it's a drier mixture than the peroxide. But that's my own error, not a matter of the product or how my hair's reponding to it.

In addition, I've always had porous hair, even before I started dying it, and my hair's so thin and fine. I've often wondered if these factors play a role. For some reason, I'm thinking thicker, coarser hair would be more resistant to bleach and peroxide, but who knows? Of course, on the downside, thin hair is much more likely to fry and break off because it's not as strong. It's a double-edged sword, really. And yes, Rick is the bomb!

If you want to see a good color job, check out the photos of Kristin's hair journey on haircandy.net. Her natural color is way darker than I would've thought, and she gets a great 613 color. She had some damage one time because the bleach was left on too long, but in general, her hair seems to respond incredibly well to it (I have no idea what she uses).

Leia: I'm leaning more toward the blue, too. What's happening with your hair these days?

Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2005 at 11:43pm

Jenny, it's beautiful :O)  I love the haircut with the layers because IMO it looks much more natural looking than the other.  Which ever way though you look HOT .   I just ordered my PH 5 minutes ago in the 50mm curl in color CACAO. After looking at the pictures Amm posted the 20mm was too curly for me.  

I also ordered the WEIZEN in straight for my friends daughter.  We can't wait to get our hair!!!

Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 2:38am
Kimbearly took the words right out of my mouth. I really agree
the cut looks more natural and I it!!!

kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 12:00pm

jenny do u do yur pinch braids yourself or do u pay someone else to do them?

if so how much does it cost you.  i heard someone say that pinch braids cause the least damage and looking from yur pic, i can now see what picnh braids are and im def thinking they might be a good idea for me. they dont look like they are pulling on the scalp and they look nice n secure. how often do u get them re done?

thanks xx

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 12:09pm
Thanks again everyone.

Kim: I was just checking out the Cacao last night, as it matches by boyfriend's hair almost exactly. He was like, "I don't want any of your extensions!" So there goes my plan for a guinea pig, lol! Are you getting those clip-in pieces or the actual wefts?

Kirsty: I get my pinchbraids done. I have no ability to braid whatsoever. Apparently, it's not impossible to learn, but it does take practice--Rae has a tutorial on her site, if you want to check it out. I pay $350 for them--that's the service, not including the hair.

kirstyx1888xmac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirstyx1888xmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 12:37pm
thanks. do they last about 3 months?
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 3:34pm
Yup. I never have any slippage or loss, so they last quite well. The only thing is, the braids are a little bigger than some connections, so you may want to get them redone a bit more frequently, like every 10 weeks or so, because they'll become more visible as your hair grows. But it all depends. :)
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 3:40pm
You ENTIRE HEAD is so beautiful . . . I even love the way the little pinchbraids look!!
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:48pm
Jenny...I had three test streaks in blut rot, and two came out.  I think I got oily spray stuff on them, but I did a lousy job on them anyway, so no loss. Once I stop being lazy and make some tips, there will be red undercolor goodness!

And isn't it sad that you just got new hair and we're already plotting the next install?
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:55pm
Jenny, I ordered the 1m weft in the 50mm wave.  I am going to make my own clip-on piece from it.  I ordered the clips from Kristen's site.  Can't wait!!!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by leia1979 leia1979 wrote:

And isn't it sad that you just got new hair and we're already plotting the next install?

No doubt, Leia! It's a neverending quest.

Kim: That sounds great. I love the 50mm. :)
delin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 10:34pm
That's exactly the length/texture & style I'm striving for.  Beautiful hair worn by a very well-spoken woman.  Great inspiration photos!
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 11:17pm

I HAVE A HUGE BRASSY PROBLEM

i just had to say that and I am too embarressed to put up a photo at this time. i will use my shimmer lights and pray.

i will ooh and aah at jenny. i always wondered how she didn't tone her hair as often as me.. i think i am going to invest in some 'white' manic panic or special effects (which is just toner)

i love plastikhaar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic