Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Putting hair up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 2:14pm
Hi Dave. That is my hair in the photo. Thanks for the compliment. Your hair, by the way, is spectacular.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2004 at 11:08am
Hi korsakovhatt3 and vanessa - welcome!

korsakovhatt3, I see that glimpse of "soft and silky" hair in your avatar photo. Is that yours? Very pretty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 7:36pm
On the subject of hair accessories for men -- I suggest soft suede covered pony tail holders. I use them almost everyday. I have them in a variety of shades from beige to dark brown. It looks good if you use a shade that blends with your hair colour. I'm a woman, but I think they would look great in a man's hair as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 7:31pm
My hair is pretty long -- waist-length. It's very soft and silky, so I can't get it to stay in a high bun without a scrunchie, a chopstick or a pencil on hand. I can make a low bun (at the nape of the neck) quite securely without any hair holders. I twist the length of my hair tightly, then make a loop. I bring the end through the front of the loop, then around the back and through the front again. There are usually a few loose ends falling out, but I like how they look. I'm not sure if this would work as well on shorter hair -- I think that going through the loop twice is the key to securing it.
AngelFace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngelFace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2004 at 7:45pm
first off, i'd like to say that, yes, scrunchies are way easier on the hair than rubberbands, but my friends would laugh me off the planet if they ever saw me wearing one in public.

okay, with that out of the way i'd like to give another alternative to wearing hair up without a ton of breakage. i'm a latina and a lot of us like to wear our hair very tight off our faces whether it's in a bun or a ponytail. naturally, this causes wispies and a lot of breakage in front after a while. what i realized could prevent this is parting your hair and then pulling it back instead of just gathering it all and pulling it straight back. i've been doing this for a while and my hair has really improved. sorry if someone said this already, i didn't really read all the replies *blushing* ..::vanessa::..
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2004 at 2:51pm
Ah, yes, AnaisSatin - I´m so with you here!

There is something about the beauty of classical lenght that makes the quest for it almost a religious/spiritual aesthetic journey. Like an act of reverence for natural/godgiven beauty. And I feel like what is standing in my way is civilization and the effects of it: pollution, dry indoor air, stress, chemichals, denutritionized foods, fashion, general peer pressure idiotia, etc.

This forum, however, is a haven from all that.

Maybe it´s the full moon - I feel more emotional today...

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 5:35pm
Classic length is all the way down to the crease at the end of your bum. Where bum becomes thigh. I think it was originally supposed to be the length of Golden Proportion (approx 62%) for the body height. It's supposed to be the most eye-appealing and aesthetically pleasing length for hair. and ... IT'S MY HAIR GOAL!!! WHOOPEEE!
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2004 at 2:44pm
What is classic length?
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Storm Raven View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Storm Raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 2:50pm
My hair is just past classic length, and I am able to pull it up without pins or "scrunchies". It is rather thin though, compared to many people's hair, and a bit wavy.

I pull my hair back as though I am going to make a pony tail, then I twist the hair a little and turn it into a bun, then wrap the ends under the bun (does that make sense?) A lady from India showed me how to do it years ago and I am forever grateful to her.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 6:42pm
I have only seen that done once, by an actress with curly, whiteblond and, I think, rather thin hair. It looked wonderful, I think she just did a knot with it. Sooo cool!

It wouldn´t work for me, my hair is too heavy and slippery.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Sputnik View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sputnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 4:24am
Does anyone know how to tie up long hair in a bun without using any hair ties, pins etc? I've seen people and some celebrities do it and i've wanted to as it saves me the trouble of having to search for a hair tie every morning.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2004 at 8:18am
The technical (?) term for the hair-holding device I use at the base of my ponytail/braid is a terrycloth-covered elastic. I also use "Ouchless" No Metal Clasps from Goody to tie off the end of my braid.

I also have a Native-American inspired ponytail hair tie which is decidedly masculine-looking.
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2004 at 5:32am
I prefer them to be plain and black or navy myself.
[/url]

Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 7:45pm
Quote o they make scrunchies for guys?
Hair accessories have no gender. Many of them are designed to appeal to female tastes but this is going to change as male long hair becomes more common.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by arch94 arch94 wrote:

Do they make scrunchies for guys? My wife used to use them before she cut hers short, and the ones she used don't seem like they'd look right for a man.

Not only guys shy away from pink scrunchies. I would never use any accessory that was not brown, black or made of silver, copper or dark wood in my hair. There are lots of cool, elegant stuff out there that does not look "girly" and would suit a man just fine, one just has to look for it. It´s what I shop for when I travel.

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 4:25pm
YES!!! Do whatever it takes to get past the difficult stages. I LOVE updos! Good luck! Bob
arch94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arch94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 4:04pm
I know i'm not very popular here, but I do have a legitimate question about this thread...

Do they make scrunchies for guys? My wife used to use them before she cut hers short, and the ones she used don't seem like they'd look right for a man.

Again, I'm not being sarcastic or sexist. Would a guy just use a color appropriate for a man?

Curious observer this time.

We all know what opinions are like...and I've got both!
Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 2:26pm
Elissa, thanks! Those are the clearest bun instructions I've ever read. Seriously. Now I just have to get some scrunchies .
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 12:50pm
1. I make a ponytail with a scrunchie, wrapping the scrunchie twice. This can be done low at the neck (for a chignon-type bun), at the middle of the back of the head or on top of the head for the highest bun.

2. Then I take the ponytail and wrap it around the scrunchie, making it into a circle or "O" flat against my head (you may have to do this 2 or 3 times or more depending on the length and thickness of your hair. Twice works best for me).

3. Tuck ends under the circle and secure with the 2nd scrunchie, again you may need to wrap the scrunchie 2 or 3 times to keep the bun from falling apart.

For any shorter pieces that fall out, you can either encourage them to curl or wave, or secure them with flat clips.

It's hard to write instructions--I hope I've conveyed this ok. It's really really easy!
[/url]

Gollan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gollan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2004 at 8:31am
Quote y hair is pretty thick, and I can do a nice high bun with only two scrunchies, eliminating pins completely!
Elissa, can you briefly describe how you do this? (Not having the benefit of sisters growing up, I am catching up on long hair styling techniques).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic