Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Live and let live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 7:32am
Duke, I got a real quick question for ya? Was you ever made to get your haircut as a child? You seem to "catch phrases" and go with the "Because my parents made me do it", or "my mom cut my hair". What gives? Lighten up, please!!!!! It is just a question. We are not in court here!!!! Debbie
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 7:15am
"Although I've never heard that argument stated in quite THAT way (cutting long hair simply because it's long), my mother cut my bra-strap length hair when I was thirteen, much to my chagrin. She said it was full of split ends, and I suppose she was right. However, a few years later, she whacked it from shoulder length to above my ears. Her reasoning? "It'll be cute." May I add that she was in cosmetology school at the time?"

-Cute, eh? Parents who behave in this way are in my opinion abusing their children. This is beyond insensitive, this is treating your kid like property. Disgusting.

These people's behavior is rude and unsolicited. No respect for individuality. Many stylists do this and it's sick. If your mechanic said "let's not just fix the engine, let's make it a HOT ROD!" you'd think he was being pretentious, wouldn't you? I strongly recommend that long-haired people do one of the following:

1) stop cutting their hair for good (if they don't mind this look) except maybe dusting for split ends by hand.

2) get a trusted friend or relative to trim for them

3) go to a long hair salon

4) if there is no 3) in your area or if you find it too expensive, go to a regular salon and tell the stylist politely but firmly "I like my hair as it is and I would appreciate it if you would commit yourself to only trimming so and so much off and not advising me to cut it differently, get highlights etc."
sarondie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 10:49am
i guess i'm the lucky one. i have a hairstylist that i've been going to all my life and she has never encouraged me to cut my hair short. in fact, her's is longer than mine, and when i tell her a half inch trim, that's exactly what she does.
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2004 at 9:05am
Although I've never heard that argument stated in quite THAT way (cutting long hair simply because it's long), my mother cut my bra-strap length hair when I was thirteen, much to my chagrin. She said it was full of split ends, and I suppose she was right. However, a few years later, she whacked it from shoulder length to above my ears. Her reasoning? "It'll be cute." May I add that she was in cosmetology school at the time?

Now, the other day I saw a young lady on campus with thigh-length hair, very thick and heavy-looking, and I thought to myself, "She needs to cut it," but that was because it looked so incredibly dull. It was the strangest hair I've ever seen; it was thicker at the roots than it was on top on her head! That would be the only reason I would recommend that someone with long hair cut it, if it was damaged. And even then, it's just a suggestion; it's not MY hair and I certainly can't make them cut it!

Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 9:08am
It's funny that you say that about employers because at my most recent job (I left a month ago for school), I was the only person in my department who was consistently on time. And my boss never had two words to say to me about my hair, or any other aspect of my appearance (although one woman was spoken to about a low-cut blouse that was really not unlike many shirts that I've worn to work; of course, it might be because she actually had cleavage to show in it, I swear I'm not jealous!).

I don't even know who would argue that "long hair is unnatural." Listen to that statement, it's just silly.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
deltagirl12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 9:00am
Hi Suers:

I have also found ever since I started dateing. That yes, most men love long hair on women. They love to play with it.

Many find it a real turn on.

Susan

Susan
Suers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 8:15am
People who tell me that I should cut my hair: too many

Some women are just plain jealous. Many men are attracted to long hair. Men love hair that is warm, touchable and blowing in the wind.

Other women think just about the latest styles only. I often get them telling me how I should dress too. I don't care what is in or out really. I think long hair is classic. I really don't care if people don't like my socks with my sandals either.

Often employers think someone with long hair is vain and will always be running to the bathroom to brush their hair. Their hair will get in the way of their work etc. (I use hair nets or put my hair up if it is interfering with my work) Or they will always be late because of all the time their hair takes in the morning. (actually I spend less time on my hair than most and have very few "bad hair" days)

Some say that long hair is just an extravagent waste of time and money. All that time shampooing, drying and styling. "You must use bottles and bottles of shampoo and conditioner". The reality is that I don't wash my hair everyday. Little miss muffin head wakes up with flat hair and has to spend 1 hr each morning washing, wetting, drying, gelling, fluffing and spraying her short hair. I just comb, brush and quickly bun or braid. I am just less frustrated with my long hair.

I don't use up an entire small country's treasury on shampoo, conditioners and styling products either. I buy salon quality products in large bottles. I have even started dating my products. I started using a bottle of conditioner in April and it is 2/3 used up. I paid $20 for it on sale. Now that is value.

Yes, stylist are interested in how our hair looks. Mostly they like to cut long hair because it is damaged. Their customer's hair is a walking advertisement for their services. I don't mind if they charge me extra for cutting my long hair. In the long run I am saving anyway because I only cut my hair once or twice a year at $50 a cut. Otherwise I would be getting that short "do" cut every two months at $35 a pop.

Maybe we would think that we would prefer to go to a stylist who specialized in long hair. Then we could get expert advice about growing and caring for it. There used to be one in town. She did charge alot. I never did go to her salon because she sounded so snobby on the phone. She went out of business. Her customers' hair really was a walking advertisement. I guess it was her attitude and maybe the economy that killed her business. Stylist cannot just specialize in colouring or one particular style or service. They have to offer a wide range of services. When their customers want to change their style and they are in flexible then they will lose that customer. I just take a suggestion to cut my hair in a different style (shorter) to be just a suggestion. I know the service is there if I want it.

I particularly dislike when people suggest that long hair on a man is "unnatural". There has always been traditional long hair styles for both men and women. In fact, just two hundred years ago, both sexes wore long hair styles. Men parted on the side and women in the middle. Boys also wore dresses until the age of six or seven. Of course I would never argue with the "long hair is unnatural" people because it is just a waste of time.

The best thing to do is just to look horrified and speakless at some rude remark about your hair and walk away. Sometimes people are just trying to make a suggestion with a good intention. I just smile and say thank you. That's the end of it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 6:55am
Hi Juliana:

I totally agree. Many hair stylist's all push the short hair. When the stylist finally accepts the fact that a woman is going to let her hair grow out. Many then go to a new idea. They tell us that we must have the ends trimed every month or they will split, or grow uneven. Many play upon most women not knowing much about hair. Many stylist's just want our money.

I mean no disrespect to any stylist's reading this. However the truth is. Many just want our money.

I have never meet a woman yet who was told by a stylist to keep her hair long. Because the long hair looks great on her. Everyone one I know has always been told by there stylist to "CUT" there hair short. I have even been told this by stylist's that had long hair themselves. I found that little tib-bit very intresting.

Susan
Susan
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 9:01pm
I don't understand it. I'm not in the habit of telling other people what they should do with THEIR hair. I don't know why they feel comfortable telling me I should cut mine. I'm impervious to it, though. I love my long hair. And, on a rather superficial note, most men love it too.

A lot of hair stylists are guilty of being anti-long hair. I guess I understand -- I suppose they just see us as lost business. I have a friend who decided to start growing her hair long. She's an intelligent, professional woman, but she actually believed that she would need to get it trimmed every 4 weeks. Her stylist told her that this would make her hair grow faster. (As if cutting the ends would have some magical effect on the hair follicles.) The only thing that would have been growing is the stylist's bank account. My friend was nearly convinced to pay this woman $50 a month to cut off all of her new growth.

My mother is 61 and still has long hair. She's always worn her hair long and doesn't see any reason to cut it now. It really suits her and my father loves it. Women where I live seem to think that as soon as they reach a certain age they have to head for the salon and get the "Irish Mammy" 'do -- short, tightly permed grey hair. It instantly ages them about 10 years and they all look the same, in my opinion. I am Irish and I plan to have children, but I will never be an "Irish Mammy".
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
harvestmoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvestmoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 12:22pm
Well, I don't hear that because I just started letting mine grow, but my poor mom does. Her hair is between her bra strap and lower back and the women she works with are always trying to get her to cut it. It is very healthy and pretty. I told her just to let it go in one ear and out the other. They tell her she is too old for long hair (she will be 60 next week) but she doesn't look her age. I tell her that age does not matter. Anyway, I think people should let others live and let live too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deltagirl12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 11:45am
Hi All:

I totally understand why so many other women like having short hair. In many cases its easy and fast to manage. I think that's great for you gal's...

However, its not for all of us. Many of us love having our hair long. Why is it that so many women with short hair are always trying to convert us girls with long hair to "Cut it Short". ?

Why not enjoy your hair short, and let us enjoy of hair long. It just seems a week does not go by that some one I talk to tries to talk me into cutting my hair.

Live and let live....

What do you think ? Am I the only one who runs into this, from other women ?

Susan.
Susan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic