Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wondering what to do....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ingrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wondering what to do....
    Posted: September 24 2002 at 2:52pm
Hi, everybody. I need some advice on what to do with my hair...
Here`s the problem: I have naturally curly hair about three in. past my shoulder and its hopelessly frizzy & dull. Its in bad shape b/c I tried to dye it blond a couple months ago (its naturally light brown), and I hate the dishwater color that it turned into. I`m thinking aobut cutting a bunch of it off, but I`m not sure if I really want to. I`ve had my hair short before and I liked it, but I`ve been growing it for two years now and Im kinda scared to cut it. I can`t have it so short that I can`t put it up, `cuz I`m a dancer and I don`t want it in my face while I`m dancing. So, either I have to keep it long, or cut it super short so I don`t have to wear it up which I`m afraid to do.
Somebody help! Pleeeeeeeease!
Thanx, everybody!
Love, Ingrid
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2002 at 8:54pm
Tough call...you said you liked it short before but you are afraid to cut it because you have grown it for so long. Did you like it long (before the coloring problem)?
Adding color (as opposed to bleaching it) can help your hair to some degree. Though depending on the damage some probably should be cut off.
If you are not sure about going short again, I would cut it to just above your shoulders (about the 3") and consider adding color (maybe a semi - permanent rich light brown - your natural color?) There are also frizz control products that might help. Good luck.
Katie U View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2002 at 10:50pm
Well I can tell you that I have also had really short hair (as short as about an inch), and really long hair down to my waste and almost every length in between. I cut a bunch of hair off a couple of times and didn`t really want it back until the most recent pixie which since has grown to about an inch above my shoulders. You said you liked short hair, how short has it been? You could probably cut it a few inches above your shoulders and still get it into a ponytail, plus if you hated it it wouldn`t take too long to grow back. But if your hair is really that frizzy it may look worse if it is shorter. As far as a pixie goes, make sure its what you really want before you get it done. Remember it will take about 2 years just to grow back to the length you don`t like now. When my long hair got chopped off and it was at my shoulders, I figured I`d go super short too because I didn`t like it. Well almost three years have passed and its almost back to shoulder length after many cuts and trims, and I am still patiently waiting for it to grow back into a length I really like. Not saying you won`t really like a pixie, but you may get caught in the vicious cycle that I got into where letting you hair grow is too hard and as a result, you end up with hair way shorter than what you want. Just be careful with your decisions. Maybe you should use a product to stop the friz or even have it chemically straightened rather than cut a bunch off. Let me know what you decide or post back for any advise.

Katie
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2002 at 11:58am
Thanks for your advice, Katie and short&blond! I`ve decided that I definitely want to cut it...how much, I`m not sure. I found a style that I love on this site #3786, but I`m not sure. Its short enough that I can just wear it back with a headband or a bandana or something without having to pull it all up. I don`t know if my hair will look like that when its done, or it it will be too curly (I don`t want afro hair- it looks cool on some people but not a scrawny white girl like me!). Do you (or anyone else out there) have curly hair that you`ve worn short like that? I`ve never had a style that was all layered like that, so I don`t know if it`ll be hard to style or take care of.
Still needing a lot of help here! :(
Thanks everyone! Love ya all! Ingrid
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic