Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVegetarian Diet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vegetarian Diet
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
Hello,I am a diabetic and have recently becoome a vegetarian. I feel so much more healthy than I ever have! But.... I was just wondering if not eating meat will have an impact on my hair? I still have all the essintal minerals and vitamins so I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem?-Robin
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
> Hello,> I am a diabetic and have recently becoome> a vegetarian. I feel so much more healthy than> I ever have! But.... I was just wondering if not> eating meat will have an impact on my hair? I> still have all the essintal minerals and vitamins> so I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem?> -Robin Hi Robin,I don't eat meat and I have not for several years now, and there has been no negative effect on my hair. If anything, its healthier, but the two are not necessarily correlated. But, as we are finding out, people really don't need very much protein to meet our daily requirement(most of us eat too much), and those needs can be filled from other sources than meat. Even a vegan (eats no animal products, including dairy or eggs) may have to work a little harder to meet those requirements, but protein deficiencies are rare, esp. in the USA. If you eat no meat, you may want to supplement B vitamins, esp. B-12. These are obtainable from plant sources, but in some more "off the wall" foods such as nutritional yeast or brewers yeast. In my opinion, a vegetarian is healthier for you and the planet. Good Luck!!
Clare
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
> I am a diabetic and have recently becoome> a vegetarian. I feel so much more healthy than> I ever have! But.... I was just wondering if not> eating meat will have an impact on my hair? I> still have all the essintal minerals and vitamins> so I'm sure there shouldn't be a problem?As long as you are careful about what you eat, you shouldn't have any problem with your hair. I've been an ovo-lacto-vegetarian for several years, and I haven't had a problem. My hair tends to grow a little faster than average. It's almost down to my waist now - I've been growing it out for 5 years, but have had to trim a fair amount off thanks to various types of damage. It is a little on the dry side, but it has always been that way - my mother's is like that too, and she's not veg.I assume that since you're diabetic, you already monitor your diet well anyway, so you probably won't have trouble.You need to get enough protein, and the correct distribution of amino acids (the "building blocks" of protein - I won't give you the biochemical lecture here!), but that's not really difficult. Even in third-world countries, "protein deficiency" isn't usually a problem with insufficient protein per se - it's a problem with the wrong combinations of amino acids. With an adequate diet, as long as you eat a variety of foods, you would have trouble NOT getting enough of the right amino acids!Certain vitamins and minerals can be more of a problem. B vitamins, for example, are essential, and B-12 is hard to get from something other than an animal source. Vitamin tablets, brewer's yeast, or milk and egg products (if you eat those) can provide it, though. (Most other B vitamins are now fortified in flour, cereals, bread, etc. (e.g. riboflavin, folic acid, niacin, and so on).)The one thing to be careful of is that if you do take a supplement, you get a balanced one. Too much of some things can be as bad as too little. Excess iron is toxic, and certain vitamins in large amounts can cause hair loss.The real key for vegetarians, as for everyone else, is to eat healthfully. A wide variety of foods, with sufficient calories, and lots of fresh veggies and fruits, will do well for almost everyone.Good luck!Laura lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Cheryl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheryl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
Just for my own info.. what is a ovo-lacto-vegetarian?>> As long as you are careful about what you> eat, you shouldn't have any problem with your> hair. I've been an ovo-lacto-vegetarian for several> years, and I haven't had a problem. My hair tends> to grow a little faster than average. It's almost> down to my waist now - I've been growing it out> for 5 years, but have had to trim a fair amount> off thanks to various types of damage. It is a> little on the dry side, but it has always been> that way - my mother's is like that too, and she's> not veg.> I assume that since you're diabetic, you> already monitor your diet well anyway, so you> probably won't have trouble.> You need to get enough protein, and the correct> distribution of amino acids (the "building> blocks" of protein - I won't give you the> biochemical lecture here!), but that's not really> difficult. Even in third-world countries, "protein> deficiency" isn't usually a problem with> insufficient protein per se - it's a problem with> the wrong combinations of amino acids. With an> adequate diet, as long as you eat a variety of> foods, you would have trouble NOT getting enough> of the right amino acids!> Certain vitamins and minerals can be more> of a problem. B vitamins, for example, are essential,> and B-12 is hard to get from something other than> an animal source. Vitamin tablets, brewer's yeast,> or milk and egg products (if you eat those) can> provide it, though. (Most other B vitamins are> now fortified in flour, cereals, bread, etc. (e.g.> riboflavin, folic acid, niacin, and so on).)> The one thing to be careful of is that if> you do take a supplement, you get a balanced one.> Too much of some things can be as bad as too little.> Excess iron is toxic, and certain vitamins in> large amounts can cause hair loss.> The real key for vegetarians, as for everyone> else, is to eat healthfully. A wide variety of> foods, with sufficient calories, and lots of fresh> veggies and fruits, will do well for almost everyone.>> Good luck!> Laura lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu>
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
>> Just for my own info.. what is a ovo-lacto-vegetarian?> This is a person who eats no meat, but does eat eggs and dairy products.
Clare
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:30am
> The real key for vegetarians, as for everyone> else, is to eat healthfully. A wide variety of> foods, with sufficient calories, and lots of fresh> veggies and fruits, will do well for almost everyone.Very true. I've been an on-again-off-again vegitarian for about 10 years now and even when I'm eating meat I eat very little of it. I think that whether you eat meat or not, what's important is that you eat a wide variety of foods, so that you're getting all the different micronutrients.-jennifer
Robin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:31am
Hi!Thanks for all the wonderful information! I should have stated before that I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I could never give up my milk, yoguart, cheese...etc (no way!) You all have been a great help to me..I have been coming to this site for about a year now and my hair has grown so much better since doing so.... Although it tends to be on the dry side but that is genes fo you!Once again, THANKS!Robin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic