Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAveda's Madder Root

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Valentine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valentine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aveda's Madder Root
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:48am
Hi Lori,Debra is right. Madder Root would be a much deeper red than you would like on your hair. I use the Madder Root shampoo and color conditioner on my dark brown hair and it really stands out as a deep rich red. I think it might be too much for lighter hair unless a very deep color is what you're searching for.The color conditioner does have henna in it, but I've noticed that as soon as I switch back to a different shampoo and conditioner (Shampure and Curessence) for a couple washes, quite a bit of the color disappears. I do not think that the henna gets enough of a chance to truly penetrate the hair for any long term on my dark hair at any rate. The color must be from a more cumulative effect. However on lighter hair, the difference may be much more marked.Perhaps try a lighter color conditioner for a while and if that doesn't give you the effects you desire, then try the deeper one. I am concerned that the madder root may be too much initially. Just my two cents!Hope you had a great 4th of July weekend!Valentine :o)
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Lori--Just a note: I use the Annatto for just that purpose--to disguise an obvious line that shows up a few weeks after every appointment. (My hair was previously bleached platinum, so the red dye gets lighter on my "old" hair than it does on the virgin hair at my roots.)It's nothing like a glaze or semi-permanent, but it does help to blend things together. The more I use it, the better coverage I get.Ally
Lori View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
> Hi Lori - I also have light red hair, and> I find that the Bixa is the best color enhancer.> I've tried the others (Annato and Madder Root)> and they are darker red than the Bixa - since> I tend to like the more "orange" or> "red gold" highlight, the Bixa is really> nice. I usually leave it on for two minutes, and> find that it builds up if I use it daily. Really> nice color enhancment! Now that the beauty supply> stores have stopped carrying it, I need to find> a local store that is selling it.Hi Debra! I thought the Bixa would be a darker, more coppery color, which is why I thought Madder root would be better. But I, too, want the red-gold highlights rather than a deeper red. Ideally what I want to do is just use the bixa (or madder root) twice a week and use the Ouidad line the rest of the time to control my frizzy, curly hair. I currently have a too-deep red henna color on my hair and want to grow it out. My hair dresser says in a few months I'll have a noticeable line and I was hoping the color conditioner would help with that. Do you think alternating products and using Bixa will help with that? Also there is a link here on Hair Boutique to Worldwide Beauty Store where you can get Aveda's stuff (including Bixa) at a discount. I haven't ordered anything yet, but I figure it's okay to do so, or Karen wouldn't have it on her site!! Thanks, Lori
Debra Knodel View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debra Knodel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Hi Lori - I also have light red hair, and I find that the Bixa is the best color enhancer. I've tried the others (Annato and Madder Root) and they are darker red than the Bixa - since I tend to like the more "orange" or "red gold" highlight, the Bixa is really nice. I usually leave it on for two minutes, and find that it builds up if I use it daily. Really nice color enhancment! Now that the beauty supply stores have stopped carrying it, I need to find a local store that is selling it.>> Lori--> Just curious: Have you tried Bixa or Annatto> (the other reds in the line)?> I use Annatto to keep up the color in my> hair, which is naturally dark blonde but dyed> dark red. I get the best results when I...> 1) leave it in at least 5 minutes, and 2)> use it every day. (The color "builds up.")>> Good luck! Ally
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:47am
Lori--Just curious: Have you tried Bixa or Annatto (the other reds in the line)?I use Annatto to keep up the color in my hair, which is naturally dark blonde but dyed dark red. I get the best results when I...1) leave it in at least 5 minutes, and 2) use it every day. (The color "builds up.")Good luck! Ally
Lori View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
> Hi Lori,> I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed> your review of the Ouidad. It has inspired me> to try it.> Thanks,> SarahSarah, I'm glad to hear you liked my review. I hope it works as well for you. Please keep us posted on your results. Take care, Lori
Sarah K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Hi Lori,I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed your review of the Ouidad. It has inspired me to try it.Thanks,Sarah> This message is for anyone who uses the Aveda> Madder Root conditioner. I have light red hair-so> light some people call it blonde- and I want to> bring out (and add) red to it. I've been using> henna, but I want to go natural. Does it really> make a difference? How long does it take to add> color? And for those with light red hair, how> often do you find you need to use it? I really> like Ouidad's line because my hair is curly and> I am wondering if using the madder root conditioner> twice a week and using Ouidad the rest of the> time will work. I really hate the thought of "coloring"> it and would like other options. Any information> would be appreciated. Thanks, Lori
Sarah
Noreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
Hi Lori,I use Aveda's Madder Root conditioner. My hair is a dark blonde with red highlights naturally, so I switch off between the Madder Root and Camomille. I can see a difference with just one application, though the people I work with don't usually comment until the second or third application. I leave it on my hair for two minutes, but if you leave it on longer the color will be deeper. I suppose if you used the Madder Root shampoo also, the color would be even more noticeable. Remember, the Madder Root conditioner does have henna in it, so if you are trying to completely cut out henna this may not be the solution for you. You also might want to see if you can get sample size bottles of Aveda to test it first. Please keep us informed of how you like it if you do decide to try it. Take care and Happy 4th of July....Noreen...> This message is for anyone who uses the Aveda> Madder Root conditioner. I have light red hair-so> light some people call it blonde- and I want to> bring out (and add) red to it. I've been using> henna, but I want to go natural. Does it really> make a difference? How long does it take to add> color? And for those with light red hair, how> often do you find you need to use it? I really> like Ouidad's line because my hair is curly and> I am wondering if using the madder root conditioner> twice a week and using Ouidad the rest of the> time will work. I really hate the thought of "coloring"> it and would like other options. Any information> would be appreciated. Thanks, Lori
Lori View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 1:46am
This message is for anyone who uses the Aveda Madder Root conditioner. I have light red hair-so light some people call it blonde- and I want to bring out (and add) red to it. I've been using henna, but I want to go natural. Does it really make a difference? How long does it take to add color? And for those with light red hair, how often do you find you need to use it? I really like Ouidad's line because my hair is curly and I am wondering if using the madder root conditioner twice a week and using Ouidad the rest of the time will work. I really hate the thought of "coloring" it and would like other options. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Lori
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic