Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Damage Control pt. 2, Karen, I need immediate help!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDamage Control pt. 2, Karen, I need immediate help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stephanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damage Control pt. 2, Karen, I need immediate help!
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
Remember me, starring role in the theatrical production where our own hair had to be put into big 50's bouffants? I'm home from our first dress rehersal, and we had the hair done so we could get used to dancing in it and troubleshoot any problems.My stylist was very nice and understanding that I wanted minimal damage done to my waist length hair. She started off trying to do as little teasing, etc... as necessary but for the demands of the production and of having a style that wouldn't fall apart during the dances, etc... she ended up having to do a great deal of teasing and use a ton of hairspray. The finished style was kind of a big poofy french twist up the back and kind of a big beehive on top, but with a a side part that kind of draped across one eye before getting swept up into the beehive. She did a really good job with it and it was quite entertaining to watch being created and really a marvel in engineering. I was nervous at first and kind of biting my lip but after a while just kind of said "What the Hell" and enjoyed it since this is going to happen again for 2 more dress rehearsals and 9 performances. It did hold together for the whole performance even though I could feel it sway a bit from time to time. It definitely needed all the teasing and spraying she did to stay up.But anyway, here I am at home and for the past hour I've tried to get my hair back to normal using detangler and T.L.C. but I obviously don't know what I'm doing. I've got this giant 12 inch high mass of teased hair on my head that is so stiff it is almost one solid mass. Can someone take me step by step through the unteasing process for VERY long, VERY teased and VERY sprayed hair? I'll wait up for a little bit and then I'm going to bed. I hope sleeping on it doesn't do any further damage. I need to get good at this because I'm going to have to do it 11 more times!Karen or someone, please help me out ASAP. For the record my hair is all one length to my waist and very straight and in excellent condition, although right now you would never know that.Stephanie
Kevin Freitas View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Freitas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
> Remember me, starring role in the theatrical> production where our own hair had to be put into big> 50's bouffants? I'm home from our first dress> rehersal, and we had the hair done so we could get> used to dancing in it and troubleshoot any problems.> My stylist was very nice and understanding that I> wanted minimal damage done to my waist length hair.> She started off trying to do as little teasing, etc...> as necessary but for the demands of the production and> of having a style that wouldn't fall apart during the> dances, etc... she ended up having to do a great deal> of teasing and use a ton of hairspray. The finished> style was kind of a big poofy french twist up the back> and kind of a big beehive on top, but with a a side> part that kind of draped across one eye before getting> swept up into the beehive. She did a really good job> with it and it was quite entertaining to watch being> created and really a marvel in engineering. I was> nervous at first and kind of biting my lip but after a> while just kind of said "What the Hell" and> enjoyed it since this is going to happen again for 2> more dress rehearsals and 9 performances. It did hold> together for the whole performance even though I could> feel it sway a bit from time to time. It definitely> needed all the teasing and spraying she did to stay> up.> But anyway, here I am at home and for the past hour> I've tried to get my hair back to normal using> detangler and T.L.C. but I obviously don't know what> I'm doing. I've got this giant 12 inch high mass of> teased hair on my head that is so stiff it is almost> one solid mass. Can someone take me step by step> through the unteasing process for VERY long, VERY> teased and VERY sprayed hair? I'll wait up for a> little bit and then I'm going to bed. I hope sleeping> on it doesn't do any further damage. I need to get> good at this because I'm going to have to do it 11> more times!> Karen or someone, please help me out ASAP. For the> record my hair is all one length to my waist and very> straight and in excellent condition, although right> now you would never know that.> Stephanie
Laura Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
> But anyway, here I am at home and for the past hour> I've tried to get my hair back to normal using> detangler and T.L.C. but I obviously don't know what> I'm doing. I've got this giant 12 inch high mass of> teased hair on my head that is so stiff it is almost> one solid mass. Can someone take me step by step> through the unteasing process for VERY long, VERY> teased and VERY sprayed hair? I'll wait up for a> little bit and then I'm going to bed. I hope sleeping> on it doesn't do any further damage. I need to get> good at this because I'm going to have to do it 11> more times!Ouch! Well, I'm obviously not in time to give you immediate help, but I do have a few suggestions. One thing that helps sometimes when you have a really bad tangle is to put conditioner or oil on it, let it soak through the tangle, and then detangle it. Those often leave a little more "slip" on the hair than a leave-in detangler. (I rarely get tangles at that level, but my younger brother has hair that is even finer than mine, and curly on top of it, so I've had practice dealing with his.)Also, when you detangle, start with just the very, very ends of the hair - as little as half an inch or so, if it's really bad - in a small section. Once you've got that part done, move up to the next half inch, and so on. When that section is finished, you might want to make sure it's covered with conditioner, to help prevent retangling, and then pin it out of the way while you do the rest of it the same way, in small sections. You might want to pair up with someone else from the production, or get someone to help you, because it can be a lot easier sometimes if you can see what you're doing at close range all around.Good luck with it!Laura Janelswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Stephanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
Kevin,You didn't write anything, just reposted my first letter. If you have something to say let me know.Stephanie
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:27am
Hi Stephanie,OUCH....so sorry to hear about your hair. Sounds like you have a long production ahead of you.I am so sorry I missed your first post. I slipped out of town for a few days to try and get some sleep. LOL. The only way is to separate me from the computer and then my brain slows down a little. :-)I read the post from Laura Jane and I think she had a lot of great tips. I would take her advice.Whenever I have my hair highlighted they put it in a cap and when it is time to take the cap off, it is usually tangled. My hairstylist carefully wets my hair and then globs on a lot of conditioner and then carefully, from the bottom, picks the tangles out. It takes a while though and it does hurt a little.Basically I can't improve on anything that Laura Jane said but I will see if I can find out anything else that might help.Hang in there. So sorry.Karen> Kevin,> You didn't write anything, just reposted my first> letter. If you have something to say let me know.> Stephanie
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
Stephanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Karen,It took me almost 4 hours to undo the teasing, and I'm sure I did some damage in the process even though I was as kind as possible. Our next dress rehearsals are Tuesday and Thursday with our first performances this Saturday and Sunday. Please let me know as soon as possible any other advice or this could be a long 3 weeks and take all the fun out of what should be one of the fun highlights of my life.Stephanie
Johannah View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Dear Stephanie,My sugestion would be to wear a wig. I do a stage show every week and I always wear a wig. I'm sure your stylist at to show would know how to style it into a bufant. Keep it in a box in between shows so it doesn't get squished an put at least a gallon of hairspray on it so it doesn't fall. If you are worried about it comming off during you dancing scenes, here's a little trick: Instead of putting one bobby pin in each place, put in two and cross them. The top bobby pin keeps th bottom one really tight. I've really ratted my hair twice and now that I have wigs, I would never do it again. I wouldn't put my hair through what you are putting yours through unless I absolutely had to, and you don't. Let a wig take the abuse. I hope this helps. - Johannah
Stephanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
>We originally were supposed to use wigs and have them and tried numerous times with them. Unfortunately the dance sequences are very acrobatic and they either flew off or started leaning to the side. The wig experts on the staff did what you are suggesting and they held for the most part but sometimes an incorrectly executed move knocked them off or yanked them so hard and it really hurt! That is why all involved basically voted on not using the wigs. With our own hair we didn't have any problems with hairdos falling out and improperly performed moves didn't hurt like having hairpins yanked across your head. So for the performance it has been better. Unfortunately for me who has the longest hair on the cast by far it is turning out to be a real problem. Thanks for the suggestion though!Stephanie
Tamara in Calgary, Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara in Calgary, Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi!After 11 productions you are going to be the expert here, we'll be coming to you for advice.I didn't respond right away because I didn't have any practical advice so I had to experiment. This is what I've "discovered" so far. It is *really* hard to untangle with all that hairspray in so I washed it out - upside down. I didn't try to detangle it when I washed it. I just washed it and then globbed on the conditioner, let it sit, and then rinsed it out. I then wrapped my hair in a towel and let it dry (you can go to bed and let it dry). Once dry I then went back into the bathroom oiled (or use conditioner) my hair and started detangling. You know, there are times that I think dipping my hair into a bucket of oil would be the best way to apply it, one of these times would be now. The detangling process is still lengthy but at least I wasn't fighting hairspray. And after a nap it may not be so frustrating either.I really feel for you. Being the chicken I am, I am certain I did not tease and spray my hair as thoroughly as your stylist did. Let me know if you think this process would work better than what you have experienced so far.> Ouch! Well, I'm obviously not in time to give you> immediate help, but I do have a few suggestions. One> thing that helps sometimes when you have a really bad> tangle is to put conditioner or oil on it, let it soak> through the tangle, and then detangle it. Those often> leave a little more "slip" on the hair than> a leave-in detangler. (I rarely get tangles at that> level, but my younger brother has hair that is even> finer than mine, and curly on top of it, so I've had> practice dealing with his.)> Also, when you detangle, start with just the very,> very ends of the hair - as little as half an inch or> so, if it's really bad - in a small section. Once> you've got that part done, move up to the next half> inch, and so on. When that section is finished, you> might want to make sure it's covered with conditioner,> to help prevent retangling, and then pin it out of the> way while you do the rest of it the same way, in small> sections. You might want to pair up with someone else> from the production, or get someone to help you,> because it can be a lot easier sometimes if you can> see what you're doing at close range all around.> Good luck with it!> Laura Jane> lswanson@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi Stephanie,I called a hair stylist I know who has worked on medium to long hair in the past and she told me of one case where a woman client was in a car accident and in the hospital for 3 weeks and never combed or brushed her hair and no one else did either.Her bra length hair was a total tangled mess. This stylist and 2 of her stylist friends spent literally hours detangling the hair because the woman did not want it cut. There were several knots that they were sure had to be cut out, but somehow they got through them.Here is what they found:1. They got spray bottles with warm water and carefully spritzed a small part of tangled mess. Then they used a giant pick and bottles of leave-in spray. She said they used Joico Integrity because it has cones (amodimethicone) in it with makes the hair slippery and easier to detangle.2. They each took a section and from the bottom, picked and detangled and picked and detangling...spraying as they went along.3. After they got all of the tangles out, the stylist had to trim some of the ends because of the damage. :-(4. The stylist applied a deep conditioning pak to the entire head and hair and then wrapped her hair in a plastic cap and then put her in a heat cap (from the beauty supply store) and then put her under the hair dryer. She sat and her hair "cooked" for 1 hour.5. The client's hair came out OK.The stylist told me to tell you to condition, condition, condition in between performances and just be as careful as you can.I will continue to ask for you. Hang in there.Hope this helps a little.Karen> Stephanie
Stephanie View Drop Down

>I can't believe you willingly teased and sprayed your hair just to give me advice! You are either the world's most generous helper or insane. I'll try some of what you did after our next dress rehearsal which is coming up shortly.For the record, how long is your hair right now and how much did you tease and spray it?Stephanie
Stephanie View Drop Down

> Karen,Thanks for all the efforts you are making on my behalf. I am sure that with everyone's help I can get through this thing and maybe even enjoy it a little.Stephanie
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:28am
Hi,This is my pleasure.I did find an article written by Vidal Sassoon stylists Elizabeth and Tim Hartley who work behind the scenes at the international designer shows.To just cut to the gist of how they deal with model's hair...here is a direct quote of what they recommend for models that have their hair done and redone and redone."To make sure you are camera-ready", Elizabeth and Tim recommend "using two new styling innovations". First, they protect the hair against heat styling with Vidal Sassoon Heat Defense, which, according to Elizabeth and Tim, "leaves hair with a smooth, shiny finish".To help model's hair withstand the torture tests of styling and restyling, they use "Vidal Sassoon hairspray with Formesilk". "Some hairsprays get really tacky to the touch, but this one doesn't do that. It's perfect for versatile cuts. You can spray it through the hair, brush through it and the hair falls back beautifully into place," says Elizabeth. "With a little know how and the right product you'll be ready for your close-up. "Basic answers:1. They use a good leave in conditioner2. They use a soft hair spray that prevents damage and allows for massive recombing.This does really help with the "undo" but it gives some insight into what other hair stylists are doing.Just some other info to pass on. :-)I am going to keep searching. :-)Best wishes,Karen> Thanks for all the efforts you are making on my> behalf. I am sure that with everyone's help I can get> through this thing and maybe even enjoy it a little.> Stephanie
Tamara in Calgary, Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tamara in Calgary, Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:29am
My niece who is growing her hair is getting into theater so this problem is of interest to me. The pre-styling treatments Karen mentioned sound like they wouldn't hurt to try too.> For the record, how long is your hair right now and> how much did you tease and spray it?Waist length, and I told you I was a chicken so I did not tease it all over my head and spray it stiff like I imagine your stylist had to. I just did a section.
Stephanie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 2:29am
>What a relief to know you didn't tease all of your hair. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone. It's kind of funny though that once you conceed that it is going to happen and necessary the whole process is almost amusing. Looking in the mirror at a whole head of severly teased hair as long as ours is quite a site and the before-after transformation is really something. Geeze, listen to me. I must finally be accepting the next 3 weeks of hair torture.If nothing else I've learned that in the hands of a talented stylist you can do some amazing things with very long hair, and if you're willing to put up with the hassle you could really amaze people on occassions like Halloween or such.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic