Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIs silicone really bad for your hair??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shirl A View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirl A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is silicone really bad for your hair??
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:23am
Do you know if ABBA has cones in their products?? I have noticed that alot of people are writing about Aubrey Organics but I am very weary of them since my hair is really dry and kinda weird. I seem to have blonde fine hair on one side and dark brown frizzy hair on the the other.> I so agree with all of you about silicones! I have> completely eliminated them from my product line up by> going organic. I use AO Honeysuckle Rose (waving to> Jade) Desert Essence,Giovanni products,jojoba oil at> night & have also almost completely stopped> blowdrying my hair. What a difference this has made in> my hair. I used to have quite a bit of breakage, those> annoying little "flyaways". They have> completely disapeared! My hair has never been in> better condition.> Kathi
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:23am
You are welcome.Generally, you can get the Giovanni at health food stores, including Whole Foods/Fresh Fields. I purchased mine at the Vitamin Shoppe, the place with the 20-40% off suggested retail depending on the month:)Have a great Halloween weekend, Chrissie!Bye for now,JadeRelated Link:The Vitamin Shoppe
Kathi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kathi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:23am
> it seems like some people have adverse reactions to> silicone (and other "cones"), while others> do not...go figure. anyway. to repair your hair i> recommend using clarifying shampoos to strip away the> silicon residue. it may take a whiel to remove the> build up. since your hair is clearly sensitive to such> shemicals, i recommend you consider switching to an> all natural line, like Aubrey Organics. They make all> different kinds of products for various hair types.> good luck! :) silvieI so agree with all of you about silicones! I have completely eliminated them from my product line up by going organic. I use AO Honeysuckle Rose (waving to Jade) Desert Essence,Giovanni products,jojoba oil at night & have also almost completely stopped blowdrying my hair. What a difference this has made in my hair. I used to have quite a bit of breakage, those annoying little "flyaways". They have completely disapeared! My hair has never been in better condition.Kathi
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:23am
> Hey, Chrissie!> I think you are talking about the White Camelia and> Jasmine Shine conditioner which comes in a spray> bottle.> I think you could definitely use as a leave-in. The> only problem that I had was like getting the correct> amount to spray. That product has a lot of oils in> addition to the panthenol and natural gums. I remember> using it--a product which I revisited--and loved it.> My hair looked like a panel of silk. I had no tangles> after using or days afterwards. I remember these guys> in a car yelled, "Hey, long, tall and> silky." Jade blushed big time:) But, it's not a> product like the Giovanni where you can just spray> your hair, saturate it and go, and your results will> be fine regardless. With the White Camelia and Jasmine> Shine, it's like you have to use just the right amount> or it's too greasy. It takes time to figure out> "just the right amount" and how to get it. I> still have problems because the results are not> uniform. My hair is normal to dry and I think to> "not have to worry about spraying", your> hair would have to be ultra-dry.> Hope this helps...> Jade> P.S. Stay away from that Primrose Tangle-Go by Aubrey.> Your hair is likely to be a greasy mess and the> tangles definitely do not go.Thanks, Jade: you are always helpful.Where can we get the Giovanni products?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:23am
Hey, Chrissie!I think you are talking about the White Camelia and Jasmine Shine conditioner which comes in a spray bottle.I think you could definitely use as a leave-in. The only problem that I had was like getting the correct amount to spray. That product has a lot of oils in addition to the panthenol and natural gums. I remember using it--a product which I revisited--and loved it. My hair looked like a panel of silk. I had no tangles after using or days afterwards. I remember these guys in a car yelled, "Hey, long, tall and silky." Jade blushed big time:) But, it's not a product like the Giovanni where you can just spray your hair, saturate it and go, and your results will be fine regardless. With the White Camelia and Jasmine Shine, it's like you have to use just the right amount or it's too greasy. It takes time to figure out "just the right amount" and how to get it. I still have problems because the results are not uniform. My hair is normal to dry and I think to "not have to worry about spraying", your hair would have to be ultra-dry.Hope this helps...JadeP.S. Stay away from that Primrose Tangle-Go by Aubrey. Your hair is likely to be a greasy mess and the tangles definitely do not go.> What do you think of the Aubrey Shine spray product> for people to use instead of above mentioned products> with silicone?
silvie90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:22am
it seems like some people have adverse reactions to silicone (and other "cones"), while others do not...go figure. anyway. to repair your hair i recommend using clarifying shampoos to strip away the silicon residue. it may take a whiel to remove the build up. since your hair is clearly sensitive to such shemicals, i recommend you consider switching to an all natural line, like Aubrey Organics. They make all different kinds of products for various hair types.good luck! :) silvie
Chrissie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:22am
Jade:What do you think of the Aubrey Shine spray product for people to use instead of above mentioned products with silicone?
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:22am
Hi, Shirl!I do agree with Holly. Stay away from all -cones as much as possible and if you do use them, double agreement with Holly on the use of a clarifying shampoo. For some people, the initial shine turns to dull, breaking , brittle hair, like they have not seen before. Keep a watchful eye if you choose to use them:)I think the real problem from what I have seen with friends and others have indicated is that you are not always sure how your hair will react when you are doing double or triple duty with the -cones. By the latter, I mean with leave-ins, glosses and the like you could be really giving your hair a potent dose. Some people have few problems and others have tremendous ones. I have used Infusium 23, Original Formula for years without problems and I switched to a Giovanni product to get rid of the -cones totally in my hair regime. The funny thing is that the Giovanni product works just as well in terms of detangling and the like, but no worries about the -cones.Bye for now,JadeI was reading some of the past posts and read that> silocone was bad for your hair. Is this true?? What> does it do exaclty?? I have been using a conditioner> that has a -cone in it and I would really appreciate> for someone to let me know if this would damage my> hair cause I am trying to grow it!> Thanks for any information in advance!
Debbi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
Hi,Does this go for dimethicone too? I just looked at several of my hair products and some do have that ingredient. Even the expensive products! Is this similar to silicone? If so, now onder my hair's been so crappy and brittle lately!!!Deb
cybermaiden View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cybermaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
I've been searching high and low for conditioners and shampoos to quench the thirst my brittle drying hair. I have naturally curly hair which is thick. Since I started using Silicon products my hair has deteriorated. I thought the silicon products were making my curls gorgeous, which in the beginning they were. But now my hair isn't responding to the product. I've used many intensive conditioners that should have worked but my hair still remained dead. NOW I know that the product I've been using to smooth and silken my hair is actually responsible for killing it.THANKS for letting me know.Now, how do I get my hair back up to speed?
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
> I posted one of those previous questions about silicone. Since I found out the bad things that happen to your hair when you use it, I stopped using my previous favorite, Finesse Conditioner, which has silicone in it. Now I'm using no silicone products at all-and the results are amazing. My hair is thicker, fuller and seems to have more natural curl in it, which I think the silicone was plastering and weighing down. I don't think silicone is really harmful to the hair, but over time, it sure doesn't make it look its best.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
Hi,I can tell you that although silicone is a derivitive of SILICA, a natural substance, it also is a kind of plastic.It builds up and from what I have read here is hard to remove even with clarifying shampoo. The build up doesn't allow natural oils and conditioners to penetrate. So although they feel like they are doing a great job of making your hair silky and look shiny, over time (or in some cases right away-I don't know how often that is, though)they can make the hair dry and/or brittle.Hope this helps you,Holly
Shirl A View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirl A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:21am
I was reading some of the past posts and read that silocone was bad for your hair. Is this true?? What does it do exaclty?? I have been using a conditioner that has a -cone in it and I would really appreciate for someone to let me know if this would damage my hair cause I am trying to grow it!Thanks for any information in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic