Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Aubrey Organics: Die-Hard User Says Try Them. If Don't Like, MOVE ON:)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAubrey Organics: Die-Hard User Says Try Them. If Don't Like, MOVE ON:)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aubrey Organics: Die-Hard User Says Try Them. If Don't Like, MOVE ON:)
    Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
I really can't say anymore than what's been said in the thread below except I have been using Aubrey Organics hair and skin care products for over 2 years and will never be without them. As for my hair, it's never looked or felt better. I cannot say enough about the products I've used. At this point, I've gone through practically the whole line re shampoos and conditioners. I know which work best on my hair and how to use products to maximize results (creatively using Aubrey, as I say:))What I can say is that Susan Hussey is the one who got me started on the products and how to use them. Those who have read my article here know this fact. I've tried to return that favor to others trying them and how to best apply them. I'm sorry that nothing worked for Roberta. I am surprised and frankly, she's in the minority from the hundreds of people with whom I've spoken via e-mail and in person. When I started my hair was bone-dry, damaged and I did not have the problem of the shampoos drying out my hair. In this respect, I've heard from some who do and simply cannot use them. The conditioners are some of the few that have been able to get the tangles out of my hair. That's why it's surprising to me that Roberta had the problems she did, even with the extra time and application of heat.The last thing I wanted to say is that Aubrey Organics is not some purportedly natural, organic company. It is certified-organic. To me and to others, that alone says a lot. I am familiar with several of the pseudo-natural lines of which some have spoken. Personally, I don't mess with them:)Like most things, if you use a product and the results are negative in any way and you cannot find a method to curtail the negativity, MOVE ON. Also, be sure to get your money back if you can:)Bye for now,Jade
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> I really can't say anymore than what's been said in> the thread below except I have been using Aubrey> Organics hair and skin care products for over 2 years> and will never be without them. As for my hair, it's> never looked or felt better. I cannot say enough about> the products I've used. At this point, I've gone> through practically the whole line re shampoos and> conditioners. I know which work best on my hair and> how to use products to maximize results (creatively> using Aubrey, as I say:))> What I can say is that Susan Hussey is the one who got> me started on the products and how to use them. Those> who have read my article here know this fact. I've> tried to return that favor to others trying them and> how to best apply them. I'm sorry that nothing worked> for Roberta. I am surprised and frankly, she's in the> minority from the hundreds of people with whom I've> spoken via e-mail and in person. When I started my> hair was bone-dry, damaged and I did not have the> problem of the shampoos drying out my hair. In this> respect, I've heard from some who do and simply cannot> use them. The conditioners are some of the few that> have been able to get the tangles out of my hair.> That's why it's surprising to me that Roberta had the> problems she did, even with the extra time and> application of heat.> The last thing I wanted to say is that Aubrey Organics> is not some purportedly natural, organic company. It> is certified-organic. To me and to others, that alone> says a lot. I am familiar with several of the> pseudo-natural lines of which some have spoken.> Personally, I don't mess with them:)> Like most things, if you use a product and the results> are negative in any way and you cannot find a method> to curtail the negativity, MOVE ON. Also, be sure to> get your money back if you can:)> Bye for now,> JadeFirst I'd just like to say that between this board and other haircare boards I've been on I know I'm not the only one Aubrey hasn't worked for, but suddenly I felt like I was being attacked. Maybe I just haven't used them long enough. From what I've read it takes more than a week. Also, my hairdresser even said my hair is so extremely damaged and overly porous that even salon color might not hold in my hair. Therefore I simply felt that my hair had gotten to a state beyond even Aubrey's help. The GPB does leave it less tangled than the Jojoba and Aloe so maybe it needed more protein than moisture. I did not like the J.A.Y. shampoo thought, it left it too weighed down so if there is another one you can recommend I would be willing to try it.
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hi Roberta :)I'm really sorry Aubrey Organics didn't work for you or the other people and we didn't mean for it to look like one group against the other here. That was never my intention. As someone mentioned here, not every hair product works for everyone and it's true including Aubrey. Everyone's scalp/hair needs are different.It's just a matter of experimenting with the different shampoos and finding one that's right for your hair type. May I offer you a suggestion? How about you send an email to the Aubrey Organics lady (I believe her name is Susan and she gives an aol email address)who posted earlier today, describe your hair type to her, and ask her if she can send you some samples so you can try them out. I'm sure she could offer you some suggestions. I would be more than happy to offer you some suggestions, but the fact is my scalp/hair type seems to be different than a lot of people here (It's oily and I've noticed many people here requesting products that are for drier type hair). Okay? Hope I helped.*Big hugs*MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Maria View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Hi :)You've helped so many here and at naturallycurly.com recommending Aubrey Organics to us, giving us suggestions on which products might be right for us, giving us tips how to use them, and answering all our questions. I just wanted to thank you. It is very much appreciated.*Big hugs*MariaRelated Link:Maria In Mass
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Dear Maria,Your thanks is greatly appreciated.Jade grins wildly:)Hope the Holiday season is approaching brightly...All the Best,Jade> You've helped so many here and at naturallycurly.com> recommending Aubrey Organics to us, giving us> suggestions on which products might be right for us,> giving us tips how to use them, and answering all our> questions. I just wanted to thank you. It is very much> appreciated.> *Big hugs*> Maria
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
Dear Roberta,I hope that I didn't add to the feeling of being attacked. I certainly did not mean to do so.I wanted to tell you that from my own hair, I can tell you that Aubrey is not an overnight solution. Few products are. I know what you are talking about in terms of damage. What I want to say to you is don't give up and the key is finding something which works and being consistent for a sustained period.I honestly think that Maria's suggestion is great at this point. Send an e-mail to Susan Hussey detailing the damage to your hair and the Aubrey Organics products which you have used with the results. Be as specific as possible. Susan Hussey, susanh8209@aol.com.What I am worried about with your hair in relation to Aubrey is really the appropriate shampoo. The shampoos which are down from the J.A.Y. are things like the Green Tea, good things I've heard about it, but have never tried, and the Ginkgo Mandarin Magic, same thing here. You obviously need something which is moisturizing due to the damage, but at the same time something which will not weigh the hair down. With the amount of damage, that GPB should help tremendously.If you have problems, let me know.Until Later,Jade> First I'd just like to say that between this board and> other haircare boards I've been on I know I'm not the> only one Aubrey hasn't worked for, but suddenly I felt> like I was being attacked. Maybe I just haven't used> them long enough. From what I've read it takes more> than a week. Also, my hairdresser even said my hair is> so extremely damaged and overly porous that even salon> color might not hold in my hair. Therefore I simply> felt that my hair had gotten to a state beyond even> Aubrey's help. The GPB does leave it less tangled than> the Jojoba and Aloe so maybe it needed more protein> than moisture. I did not like the J.A.Y. shampoo> thought, it left it too weighed down so if there is> another one you can recommend I would be willing to> try it.
Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> I really can't say anymore than what's been said in> the thread below except I have been using Aubrey> Organics hair and skin care products for over 2 years> and will never be without them. As for my hair, it's> never looked or felt better. I cannot say enough about> the products I've used. At this point, I've gone> through practically the whole line re shampoos and> conditioners. I know which work best on my hair and> how to use products to maximize results (creatively> using Aubrey, as I say:))> What I can say is that Susan Hussey is the one who got> me started on the products and how to use them. Those> who have read my article here know this fact. I've> tried to return that favor to others trying them and> how to best apply them. I'm sorry that nothing worked> for Roberta. I am surprised and frankly, she's in the> minority from the hundreds of people with whom I've> spoken via e-mail and in person. When I started my> hair was bone-dry, damaged and I did not have the> problem of the shampoos drying out my hair. In this> respect, I've heard from some who do and simply cannot> use them. The conditioners are some of the few that> have been able to get the tangles out of my hair.> That's why it's surprising to me that Roberta had the> problems she did, even with the extra time and> application of heat.> The last thing I wanted to say is that Aubrey Organics> is not some purportedly natural, organic company. It> is certified-organic. To me and to others, that alone> says a lot. I am familiar with several of the> pseudo-natural lines of which some have spoken.> Personally, I don't mess with them:)> Like most things, if you use a product and the results> are negative in any way and you cannot find a method> to curtail the negativity, MOVE ON. Also, be sure to> get your money back if you can:)> Bye for now,> JadeI agree, I only use the shampoos and some skin products, but I will never use a regular shampoo again. I never thought a shampoo mattered, but the chemicals in regular ones really dry long hair out. Aubrey's shampoo's are sooo gentle on my hair and leave it looking healthy. If it wasn't for switching from regular shampoos to Aubrey Organics I may never have been able to start growing my hair out healthy again.
Roberta View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:48am
> Dear Roberta,> I hope that I didn't add to the feeling of being> attacked. I certainly did not mean to do so.> I wanted to tell you that from my own hair, I can tell> you that Aubrey is not an overnight solution. Few> products are. I know what you are talking about in> terms of damage. What I want to say to you is don't> give up and the key is finding something which works> and being consistent for a sustained period.> I honestly think that Maria's suggestion is great at> this point. Send an e-mail to Susan Hussey detailing> the damage to your hair and the Aubrey Organics> products which you have used with the results. Be as> specific as possible. Susan Hussey,> susanh8209@aol.com.> What I am worried about with your hair in relation to> Aubrey is really the appropriate shampoo. The shampoos> which are down from the J.A.Y. are things like the> Green Tea, good things I've heard about it, but have> never tried, and the Ginkgo Mandarin Magic, same thing> here. You obviously need something which is> moisturizing due to the damage, but at the same time> something which will not weigh the hair down. With the> amount of damage, that GPB should help tremendously.> If you have problems, let me know.> Until Later,> JadeI think I will email Susan as you suggested. I may not have even given the JAY shampoo long enough time. I tend to be a very impatient person and want to see instant results, but doesn't everybody? You did not add to the "attack", in fact you have always been very nice and very helpful when I have written on this board. The others below made it sound like there was something wrong with me or my hair because THEY all used Aubrey and had great results and it was the only thing they used so there must be something wrong with me since it didn't work. They were not being very helpful, just very sarcastic and tactless. I also chose not to use Aubrey a lot because of the price. I am on a tight budget and cannot afford to constantly use these products for months at a time. Thanks again.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:49am
Hi Roberta,There are some very excellent shampoos and conditioners which are not high-priced. Price has nothing to do with how effective or gentle they are. *Ingredients* make all the difference, yet hardly anything speaks about ingredients! In fact, something I didn't realize but that only makes sense, is that some of the companies that have the most money to spend on research are the larger ones, therefore some of the "drugstore" brands actually have more research put into them!I used to use an expensive mascara only because it seemed to work the best. I tried a few of the suggestions out of Paula's other book and was shocked that one of them was even *better* than the Lancombe!I'd suggest checking out Paula's book at the library and try some of her suggestions. You do *not* have to spend a fortune on your hair, even if it's badly damaged. No company's products will perform miracles, but obviously some will be more suited for you than others.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:49am
Jade,I understand that some people are very sensitive about certain subjects, but I just wonder why Aubrey Organics seems to be a sacred cow with you. I read your review of the products and noticed that you said Finesse shampoo nearly ruined your hair, but you mentioned the company as a whole. One of Finesse's shampoos (moisturizing shampoo for dry or coarse hair) does indeed contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which no one should use! But the rest of Finesse's shampoos do not and in fact, contain less "potential" (which doesn't mean it will happen) irritating ingredients than some of Aubrey's products!Think of all the companies that make shampoos. There are probably hundreds of them. There can't be that many terribly different formulations! Undoubtedly, some are much better than others.I really do understand that when we find products that work well for us, we like to rave about them, but don't you think it's a good idea to educate ourselves about ingredients (rather than just saying, "hey, it's good") and keep an open mind about products?The reviews that are most helpful to me are those which contain more than anecdotes.
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:49am
> The others below made it sound like there> was something wrong with me or my hair because THEY> all used Aubrey and had great results and it was the> only thing they used so there must be something wrong> with me since it didn't work. They were not being very> helpful, just very sarcastic and tactless.Hello Roberta,I know I responded to you, so I reviewed everybody's responses to you. Since I failed to see anything that to me even remotely resembled an attack, and since I said that I use AO and that it works well for me, I'm wondering if you have included me in your category of those who "attacked" you, or who were being sarcastic and tactless.I sincerely hope you don't see me as being anything less than genuinely interested in helping you with your hair problems. The notion of attacking you or anybody here in Hair Talk is most definitely not my intention! You had mentioned having tangle troubles, and I was merely suggesting what I thought might be a helpful suggestion.Peace.Dave
David M Squires
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:49am
Jena,I educated myself about most of the commercial shampoos and conditioners in terms of ingredients and chose not to use them. With this elimination, I have had no problems with my scalp or hair.Everyone knows my position on Aubrey and I make no bones about it. Most of all, I state my reasons. I encourage people to shop around for products which suit their needs. If they choose to try Aubrey, I am more than willing to assist because I have had a very positive experience with both skin and hair products. For those who would like to stay within the vein of natural hair care, but who cannot use Aubrey I have recommended what I would call companies which are one step below Aubrey.As far as the Finesse(dry hair formula) is concerned, it was the last straw for my scalp and hair. In the past, I had used Pantene and a host of others. Aveda was just as bad. The build-up, irritation, and product immunity after about 3 months was all too familiar to me.If you ever have some time, you might want to go over to naturallycurly.com and check out a thread started by Maria a while back about Paula's book. Some of the ladies there shed some light on Paula's possible motivation for distaste of natural products generally.Good Luck to you....Jade> I understand that some people are very sensitive about> certain subjects, but I just wonder why Aubrey> Organics seems to be a sacred cow with you. I read> your review of the products and noticed that you said> Finesse shampoo nearly ruined your hair, but you> mentioned the company as a whole. One of Finesse's> shampoos (moisturizing shampoo for dry or coarse hair)> does indeed contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which no> one should use! But the rest of Finesse's shampoos do> not and in fact, contain less "potential"> (which doesn't mean it will happen) irritating> ingredients than some of Aubrey's products!> Think of all the companies that make shampoos. There> are probably hundreds of them. There can't be that> many terribly different formulations! Undoubtedly,> some are much better than others.> I really do understand that when we find products that> work well for us, we like to rave about them, but> don't you think it's a good idea to educate ourselves> about ingredients (rather than just saying, "hey,> it's good") and keep an open mind about products?> The reviews that are most helpful to me are those> which contain more than anecdotes.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> If you ever have some time, you might want to go over> to naturallycurly.com and check out a thread started> by Maria a while back about Paula's book. Some of the> ladies there shed some light on Paula's possible> motivation for distaste of natural products generally.I'd be interested in seeing it! But there were several forums and I didn't happen to see Maria's post. I really don't think Paula has a distaste for natural products, but I think it has to do with the way they're marketed. For instance, some quotes from her book:"He [Aubrey Hampton] also states that he knows his products are 'safe to use because they contain ingredients that have been used for hundreds, sometimes thousands, of years by people all over the world. That's the best track record, don't you think?' Well, I don't think so in the least. First there are many ingredients ranging from panthenol to muco-polysaccharides, PABA (paraminobenzoic acid), and many others, in these products that weren't available until very recent times.""Another Hampton phobia, shared by many other 'natural' eccentrics in the world, is petrochemicals. He states, 'Petrochemicals, [which] are infinitely cheaper and much more convenient for mass manufacturers to use...[make] our hair and skin suffer as a result. What's worse, the long-term effects of these harsh chemicals on both the body and the environment are still unknown.'""Suggesting that all petrochemical derivatives are harsh and all plant derivatives are good is as uniformed as thinking that eating any plant you encounter in the wild won't kill you because it is natural. Plus, all this ignores the fact that petrochemicals have a decidedly natural source: they come from decomposed plant and animal life an have a decidedly organic base!"Aveda makes such a fuss about other hair-care products, saying, 'Would you moisturize with petroleum? Enjoy the sweet smell of methyl-octine-carbonate?' and so on. Other than the fact that no one in the world of hair care or skin care uses any petroleum (meaning gasoline, as the name implies) in their products, how wonderful do ingredients like sodium methylcocoyltaurate, cocamidopropyl betaine, polyquaternium 10, or lauramide DEA sound? Yet these very unnatural ingredients, among dozens and dozens of others, fill out every Aveda product. Only Aveda can rationalize the use of ingredients such as formaldehyde-releasing diazolidinyl urea (a major preservative in most all of its hair products) as having a natural source. But then again, I guess formaldehyde can be considered natural."In other words, she's saying that companies are playing us for patsies (which we are!) and playing on our sensitivities that we'll buy anything with the word "natural" in it. As was demonstrated above, the word "naural" can be interpretted and misconstrued any way we want! I've seen candy with the word "natural" on it. Does that mean it's good for us? It still has lots of fat and sugar in it! Often fruit "drinks" disguised to look like juice say "100% natural". Uhh, yes, 100% natural *sugar*, not juice! I'm honestly not out to put down any specific shampoo company, but I think we need to be very careful with what they tell us. "Natural" means whatever they want us to think.And, as I mentioned in another post, Paula actually gave some good reviews to some of Aubrey's conditioners! She said (and I would believe) that every company, no matter how expensive or inexpensive, makes both good and bad products. It isn't the "name" of the product, it's the ingredients used.Also, if you have any resources from independent companies (who do not profit one way or the other) telling how vitamins found in shampoos and conditioners can affect the hair, I'd love to see them! I just think it's wise to not go by only what the manufacturer says about its product, since their goal is to make money. I'm not suggesting that you have done this, but that we all should be very aware and ask lots of questions and not take for granted everything the hair care companies tell us. Asking questions and making them accountable makes for better products for all of us! As Susan mentioned below, Aubrey had to amend their wording on their products because it didn't comply to certain standards.And believe it or not, I always buy organic eggs and milk at the grocery store, but I have a specific reason, so I'm by no means against "natural" things. But the word natural very much needs to be defined. For instance, I do want to use mascara with a preservative because I am not willing to risk an eye infection because the product goes bad! I want something very safe to use, and not all preservatives are bad. (And I'd very much love to see dyes removed from food and laundry detergent and many other things, well, except for coloring Easter eggs!)I just don't think blind trust is a good thing to have for any company. Or to give generalizations about an entire company, based on the effects of one product. We should all be accountable for what we say and force ourselves and hair care companies to back up their claims.
Clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:49am
I know that for myself, no matter what a product says on the package, "natural" or otherwise, I am a big time label reader (ingredients, that is). I always read the label of any product I am going to buy.Also, whether or not petrochemicals are OK for my skin and hair is debatable, but the overall effects of these products on the earth and the environment is not.I come from the position of finding alternative energy sources that are, if not non polluting, at least far less polluting than petroleum and its derivatives. And maybe one that does not motivate people to start wars over it, etc.But, then again, plants that are grown with harmful pesticides, etc., are not necessarily that much of a better alternative, either. I saw a show the other night where an "expert" was saying that the amount of pesticides present on fruit or vegetables grown in the "conventional" manner is so nil that it cannot harm you. (This was an organic vs. conventional farming debate, and whether there are any real advantages to organic farming). Whether or not what this person said is true is once again, perhaps debatable, but the effects of conventional or "modern" agriculture on the earth and environment is not.I believe that every choice a person makes has an effect, and especially in the "to buy or not to buy" realm. What I try to think about is "What do I want that effect to be?" But, then again, I feel frustrated that almost everything is packaged these days in plastics, even if they are "recyclable".Regards,Clare> I'd be interested in seeing it! But there were several> forums and I didn't happen to see Maria's post. I> really don't think Paula has a distaste for natural> products, but I think it has to do with the way> they're marketed. For instance, some quotes from her> book:> "He [Aubrey Hampton] also states that he knows> his products are 'safe to use because they contain> ingredients that have been used for hundreds,> sometimes thousands, of years by people all over the> world. That's the best track record, don't you think?'> Well, I don't think so in the least. First there are> many ingredients ranging from panthenol to> muco-polysaccharides, PABA (paraminobenzoic acid), and> many others, in these products that weren't available> until very recent times."> "Another Hampton phobia, shared by many other> 'natural' eccentrics in the world, is petrochemicals.> He states, 'Petrochemicals, [which] are infinitely> cheaper and much more convenient for mass> manufacturers to use...[make] our hair and skin suffer> as a result. What's worse, the long-term effects of> these harsh chemicals on both the body and the> environment are still unknown.'"> "Suggesting that all petrochemical derivatives> are harsh and all plant derivatives are good is as> uniformed as thinking that eating any plant you> encounter in the wild won't kill you because it is> natural. Plus, all this ignores the fact that> petrochemicals have a decidedly natural source: they> come from decomposed plant and animal life an have a> decidedly organic base!> "Aveda makes such a fuss about other hair-care> products, saying, 'Would you moisturize with> petroleum? Enjoy the sweet smell of> methyl-octine-carbonate?' and so on. Other than the> fact that no one in the world of hair care or skin> care uses any petroleum (meaning gasoline, as the name> implies) in their products, how wonderful do> ingredients like sodium methylcocoyltaurate,> cocamidopropyl betaine, polyquaternium 10, or> lauramide DEA sound? Yet these very unnatural> ingredients, among dozens and dozens of others, fill> out every Aveda product. Only Aveda can rationalize> the use of ingredients such as formaldehyde-releasing> diazolidinyl urea (a major preservative in most all of> its hair products) as having a natural source. But> then again, I guess formaldehyde can be considered> natural."> In other words, she's saying that companies are> playing us for patsies (which we are!) and playing on> our sensitivities that we'll buy anything with the> word "natural" in it. As was demonstrated> above, the word "naural" can be interpretted> and misconstrued any way we want! I've seen candy with> the word "natural" on it. Does that mean> it's good for us? It still has lots of fat and sugar> in it! Often fruit "drinks" disguised to> look like juice say "100% natural". Uhh,> yes, 100% natural *sugar*, not juice! I'm honestly not> out to put down any specific shampoo company, but I> think we need to be very careful with what they tell> us. "Natural" means whatever they want us to> think.> And, as I mentioned in another post, Paula actually> gave some good reviews to some of Aubrey's> conditioners! She said (and I would believe) that> every company, no matter how expensive or inexpensive,> makes both good and bad products. It isn't the> "name" of the product, it's the ingredients> used.> Also, if you have any resources from independent> companies (who do not profit one way or the other)> telling how vitamins found in shampoos and> conditioners can affect the hair, I'd love to see> them! I just think it's wise to not go by only what> the manufacturer says about its product, since their> goal is to make money. I'm not suggesting that you> have done this, but that we all should be very aware> and ask lots of questions and not take for granted> everything the hair care companies tell us. Asking> questions and making them accountable makes for better> products for all of us! As Susan mentioned below,> Aubrey had to amend their wording on their products> because it didn't comply to certain standards.> And believe it or not, I always buy organic eggs and> milk at the grocery store, but I have a specific> reason, so I'm by no means against "natural"> things. But the word natural very much needs to be> defined. For instance, I do want to use mascara with a> preservative because I am not willing to risk an eye> infection because the product goes bad! I want> something very safe to use, and not all preservatives> are bad. (And I'd very much love to see dyes removed> from food and laundry detergent and many other things,> well, except for coloring Easter eggs!)> I just don't think blind trust is a good thing to have> for any company. Or to give generalizations about an> entire company, based on the effects of one product.> We should all be accountable for what we say and force> ourselves and hair care companies to back up their> claims.
Clare
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:50am
nm> I really can't say anymore than what's been said in> the thread below except I have been using Aubrey> Organics hair and skin care products for over 2 years> and will never be without them. As for my hair, it's> never looked or felt better. I cannot say enough about> the products I've used. At this point, I've gone> through practically the whole line re shampoos and> conditioners. I know which work best on my hair and> how to use products to maximize results (creatively> using Aubrey, as I say:))> What I can say is that Susan Hussey is the one who got> me started on the products and how to use them. Those> who have read my article here know this fact. I've> tried to return that favor to others trying them and> how to best apply them. I'm sorry that nothing worked> for Roberta. I am surprised and frankly, she's in the> minority from the hundreds of people with whom I've> spoken via e-mail and in person. When I started my> hair was bone-dry, damaged and I did not have the> problem of the shampoos drying out my hair. In this> respect, I've heard from some who do and simply cannot> use them. The conditioners are some of the few that> have been able to get the tangles out of my hair.> That's why it's surprising to me that Roberta had the> problems she did, even with the extra time and> application of heat.> The last thing I wanted to say is that Aubrey Organics> is not some purportedly natural, organic company. It> is certified-organic. To me and to others, that alone> says a lot. I am familiar with several of the> pseudo-natural lines of which some have spoken.> Personally, I don't mess with them:)> Like most things, if you use a product and the results> are negative in any way and you cannot find a method> to curtail the negativity, MOVE ON. Also, be sure to> get your money back if you can:)> Bye for now,> Jade
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:50am
Actually, I think the common ground for all of us is that we want products to clean and condition our hair -- products that won't harm our hair or the environment and that help both, as well!The problem lies in what to believe. Because most of us do not possess doctorates in science, we have to rely on the research and words of others. And this is where we all need to be open-minded and read as much as possible to educate ourselves. If I read a statement or finding made by three independent companies (who have no financial gain from the findings), then I generally assume it to be true. I guess I'm thinking more of fitness-oriented type articles than hair since it's harder to find much independent research on hair products.>I saw a show the other> night where an "expert" was saying that the> amount of pesticides present on fruit or vegetables> grown in the "conventional" manner is so nil> that it cannot harm you.And you know what? You'll undoubtedly find an "expert" with the exact opposite view!Hey, it is NOT easy to be a consumer today. Wait, I take that back. It takes a lot of work to be an educated consumer! It simply means reading all the research and reviews and drawing our own conclusions. In other words, having to *think* instead of having someone else tell us what to think. And most of us are often too lazy to do so.Time for some shut-eye and hair-growing! {grin}Jena
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:50am
Jena,For me, I read ingredients on all kinds of products. I also try to get some indication of the quality of the ingredients used. It seems to help a lot:) For me, certification as an organic processor from Quality Assurance International says a lot to me.I'd be interested in seeing it! But there were several> forums and I didn't happen to see Maria's post.Go into the General Discussion about Curly Hair and do a search there. It was not that long ago. You can search years back.> In other words, she's saying that companies are> playing us for patsies (which we are!) and playing on> our sensitivities that we'll buy anything with the> word "natural" in it. As was demonstrated> above, the word "naural" can be interpretted> and misconstrued any way we want! I've seen candy with> the word "natural" on it. Does that mean> it's good for us? It still has lots of fat and sugar> in it! Often fruit "drinks" disguised to> look like juice say "100% natural". Uhh,> yes, 100% natural *sugar*, not juice! I'm honestly not> out to put down any specific shampoo company, but I> think we need to be very careful with what they tell> us. "Natural" means whatever they want us to> think.Actually, I've read this before and I've seen many times. It's one of the reasons I don't have positive things to say about Aveda overall. With your last statement, do your homework, which it sounds like you are doing. Personally, I think some consumers are a lot smarter than you give them credit for.> Also, if you have any resources from independent> companies (who do not profit one way or the other)> telling how vitamins found in shampoos and> conditioners can affect the hair, I'd love to see> them!If this is an issue which is important to you, I think you can do the research yourself. There are plenty of resources on the Internet and in print.>I just think it's wise to not go by only what> the manufacturer says about its product, since their> goal is to make money. I'm not suggesting that you> have done this, but that we all should be very aware> and ask lots of questions and not take for granted> everything the hair care companies tell us. Asking> questions and making them accountable makes for better> products for all of us! As Susan mentioned below,> Aubrey had to amend their wording on their products> because it didn't comply to certain standards.I'm so glad you don't include me in this category. I'm glad that Susan posted what she did, but I have to tell you, I've read this before.Good Luck to you...Jade
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
Hi Jade,The reason I asked if you knew of research that proves that vitamins added to hair products actually help the hair is that (and I do apologize if I'm mistaken) I thought in several of your posts you had mentioned that a specific product had vitamins added which would help penetrate the hair. I was just curious where you (or anyone else) had seen research on this since I've read the contrary. It only makes sense that hair is dead and putting vitamins on the ends of our hair will not "mend" it.Jena
Alexandra View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexandra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:51am
> Hi Jade,> The reason I asked if you knew of research that proves> that vitamins added to hair products actually help the> hair is that (and I do apologize if I'm mistaken) I> thought in several of your posts you had mentioned> that a specific product had vitamins added which would> help penetrate the hair. I was just curious where you> (or anyone else) had seen research on this since I've> read the contrary. It only makes sense that hair is> dead and putting vitamins on the ends of our hair will> not "mend" it.> JenaHey, Jena,I don't know if I've misunderstood Jade, but I thought that many times she was referring to *internal* vitamins to take to improve hair. This makes sense to me, since a good diet with decent supplements contributes to your overall appearence, and consequently, your hair.I don't think I've ever heard of cracking open a vitamin capsule and putting it on your hair, but I have for your face. And then there's all those hair products with vitamins in them to improve the hair. As far as that goes, perhaps the effects they give to the hair are temporary that have to be used every time you wash your hair to see the results. Why am I suddenly remembering an argument from health class about the point of doing much of anything to your hair since it's dead?Hey, whatever works, right?Have a great day,Alexandra
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2000 at 6:52am
>>It's one of the reasons I don't have positive things to say about Aveda overall.Could you please be more specific? Are you disappointed in their marketing or their products? I'd really like to know!Thanks, Jade,Jena> Jena,> For me, I read ingredients on all kinds of products. I> also try to get some indication of the quality of the> ingredients used. It seems to help a lot:) For me,> certification as an organic processor from Quality> Assurance International says a lot to me.> I'd be interested in seeing it! But there were several> Go into the General Discussion about Curly Hair and do> a search there. It was not that long ago. You can> search years back.> Actually, I've read this before and I've seen many> times. It's one of the reasons I don't have positive> things to say about Aveda overall. With your last> statement, do your homework, which it sounds like you> are doing. Personally, I think some consumers are a> lot smarter than you give them credit for.> If this is an issue which is important to you, I think> you can do the research yourself. There are plenty of> resources on the Internet and in print.> I'm so glad you don't include me in this category. I'm> glad that Susan posted what she did, but I have to> tell you, I've read this before.> Good Luck to you...> Jade
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic